Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    If you haven't read the Forgotten Realms series by R.A. Salvatore (Drizzt Do'Urden being the main character), you haven't lived.
    Go read them.

Now.

Quote Originally Posted by AceofHarts View Post
    3 a week? shit man, i did the entire last book of wheel of time in one day. took me about 18 hours.
    If I read 18 hours in a single day I'd go through 7+ novels a week easily. As I said, I literally ONLY read at work, and since I do actually have to do some work during my shift, I don't just read 11-7 every night. 18 hours is like 3+ nights of reading time with me, which is about what a book of that length usually takes me.

Tried search thread could not find by author, perhaps noone mentioned.

------------------
    Mark Lawrence - The Broken Empire (trilogy)

Impressive trilogy, dark and fun to read. Interesting main character.

------------------
    Michael G. Manning - Mageborn (5 books total)

Rather light story, again interesting main character. Good humor, solid storyline. Excellent relaxing read.

-----------------

As comparsion of taste, to see if it might suit yours, I have finished

Lord of The Rings, Song of Ice and Fire, everything Wacraft related, Godling Chronicles (all existing books), The Last Swordmage (trilogy), Legends of Muirwood (trilogy), The First Law (trilogy), Best Served Cold (single story continuation of First Law).

Currently reading: Mistborn (and it is very good!)
    Mystery Goo, Magtheridon EU
    http://mystery-goo.eu/

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Improstor View Post
    Tried search thread could not find by author, perhaps noone mentioned.

------------------
    Mark Lawrence - The Broken Empire (trilogy)

Impressive trilogy, dark and fun to read. Interesting main character.

------------------
    Michael G. Manning - Mageborn (5 books total)

Rather light story, again interesting main character. Good humor, solid storyline. Excellent relaxing read.

-----------------

As comparsion of taste, to see if it might suit yours, I have finished

Lord of The Rings, Song of Ice and Fire, everything Wacraft related, Godling Chronicles (all existing books), The Last Swordmage (trilogy), Legends of Muirwood (trilogy), The First Law (trilogy), Best Served Cold (single story continuation of First Law).

Currently reading: Mistborn (and it is very good!)
    someone here needs to read wheel of time.

I have looked into Wheel of Time and for now it does not interest me as much. I do not like idea of quite neverending series of books. Perhaps in future.

I have que of Mistborn, and several other series to read already (I don't read as much, about 4 hours a week maximum, 40mins a day).
    Mystery Goo, Magtheridon EU
    http://mystery-goo.eu/

Deleted
    Read The Broken Empire series by Mark Lawrence.

It has Necromancers, Bows and Arrows, Swords, Mercenaries, Kings, Magic, Sex, Magical Sex Zombies, Nuclear Weaponry and enough killing to satisify any Khorne Berserker.

It has your standard Fantasy world but with a certain twist. If you want to know it here is a spoiler alert.

It is your standard variety of Middle Age Kingdoms, however their is plenty of evidence that these lands were once inhabited by a more advanced Civilization with Robots and Atom Bombs etc. Think Fallout meets Middle earth while still having Magic. To these Middle Age people, these are just signs from Gods or something.

The Magic The Gathering books are pretty awesome.

The Dwarves books by Markus Heitz are pretty good and worth a read if you haven't heard of them. I finished the last one not long ago.
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6657006-the-dwarves (the first one)

Not particularly long, but I found them pretty enjoyable. There are four books, and the author has stated that he's probably done with them after that 4th one (although he has said the same thing before and ended up writing more).

Dwarf is my favorite fantasy race, and as you can guess from the title, the main characters in these books are dwarves.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-07-30 at 05:34 PM.

Deleted
    The Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell, The Winter King, Enemy of God and Excalibur

It is essence the King Arthur saga but with heavy twist, like Lancelot is famous as the best knight, because he always stand in the rear, so he is always the one who survive the losing battle, and in victory the one who arraive fist home to tell everybody about his glorious victory. "realistic" magic, its fate based, a sorceress cast a spell to make the army invisible, the army carefully sneak up and surprise the enemy army.... of-curse the sneaking succeeded because the men was under a invisibly spell

Loots of blood mud and death.
    Last edited by mmoc957ac7b970; 2014-07-30 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    The Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell, The Winter King, Enemy of God and Excalibur

It is essence the King Arthur saga but with heavy twist, like Lancelot is famous as the best knight, because he always stand in the rear, so he is always the one who survive the losing battle, and in victory the one who arraive fist home to tell everybody about his glorious victory. "realistic" magic, its fate based, a sorceress cast a spell to make the army invisible, the army carefully sneak up and surprise the enemy army.... of-curse the sneaking succeeded because the men was under a invisibly spell

Loots of blood mud and death.
    My favourite bit of magic in those is the "Ghost Walls" put up by druids. Basically a couple of totems that prevent anyone from passing between them, everyone knows that so they don't even try to pass them until a friendly druid has cleansed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Could try the Codex Alera by Jim Butcher, the series is complete (six books long).
    Jim Butcher wrote the pretty awesome Dresden File series (modern fantasy if you wanna try it), so I'd go ahead and second this Codex Alera.

Deleted
    Neil Gaiman. A number of great novels but American Gods is a very good start. For more of a laugh, go with Good Omens (co-authored by Terry Pratchett).

Joe Abercrombie as mentioned earlier. Very dark, gritty fantasy. Start from the first novel and work forward.

China Mieville for "weird" fantasy. His best novel imo is The Scar but you might get more out of the book if you read Perdido Street Station first. King Rat is another great novel from him (an early one, urban fantasy).

Ben Aaronovitch for urban fantasy London style. Start with the first book.

Not fantasy but Sci-Fi, SA Corey and the expanse novels. Really got me to love sci-fi again. Wonderfully well written, quite different from the typical sci-fi setting and co-authored by two persons who are associated with RR Martin.