Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Favourite word processing program?

I'm asking you guys and not googling a top 10 list because I care a lot more about what you guys have to say over clickbaitarticles.com.

I don't have Word and I'm not interested in dropping a hundred bucks to type up some resumes and make copies of some writing stuff. I've used Google Docs in the past during Gr.12 and it worked okay. Felt very bare bones though, not that I ever felt I really needed a bunch of other features.

But what's your preference when it comes to having to type stuff up? What program do you use to type stuff? What DO you type? Do you use it for work, school, yourself, what do you like about the program you use?
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    Microsoft office (word)

I've been using it for the last 20 years so I'm just stuck in my ways more than I like the program.

I continue to use Google Docs, because unless you need better header/footer support, or perfect (enterprise-level) compatibility with Office, I can't find anything missing. I know of Open/Libre Office, but can't see a compelling reason to install such heavy software when Docs hits everything I ask of it.

MS Office for school. Some college classes require MS Word but I dont mind I've been using it forever anyway. For syntax highlighting I use Notepad++.

Have you ever tried OpenOffice ? I havent but its free. Something to try if you don't want to buy MS Office
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TaintedOne View Post
    MS Office for school. Some college classes require MS Word but I dont mind I've been using it forever anyway. For syntax highlighting I use Notepad++.

Have you ever tried OpenOffice ? I havent but its free. Something to try if you don't want to buy MS Office
    OpenOffice is terrible. I wouldn't use that. It's not compatible with MS Office and when you're working on team projects people are going to hate you so bad for fucking up layouts and presenting a whole list of issues to solve.

Just use MS Office. There isn't anything that's better and it's more or less required where ever you go. Just get it somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    OpenOffice is terrible. I wouldn't use that. It's not compatible with MS Office and when you're working on team projects people are going to hate you so bad for fucking up layouts and presenting a whole list of issues to solve.

Just use MS Office. There isn't anything that's better and it's more or less required where ever you go. Just get it somehow.
    That's not been my experience. OpenOffice works just fine for nearly all standard writing tasks. What specific compatibility is it that you think is missing? My significant other uses Open office writer and I've never run into trouble opening documents saved by it nor has it been unable to open documents from professors, the internet, etc.

- Google Docs for collaboration with team members.
    - MS Office Word for offline documents (working alone) or to fix Google Docs layout/formatting before exporting it as .pdf and sending it to clients.
    - Sublime Text or Notepad++ for quick editing, writing, or coding.

Microsoft Word. They come with a lot of templates and such these days which makes them really awesome.

Although, Google Documents is getting better and better each year!

Deleted
    LibreOffice, better than openoffice and free. you just need to remember to change file formats when saving so they are compatible with word.

saying that, I still prefer word, I just don't prefer the price point of the bloody thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pages is my go to word processor for school and whatever misc stuff.

Storyist for writing (fiction).

Word...it's on my work computer but I wouldn't buy it. Too bloated for my usage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    For anything that requires "real work": vim+TeX. They've been the standard for things like textbooks and PHd thesis for decades.
    It'll take some time to learn, but you simply cannot find a more powerful combination and those skills will remain relevant until you die.
    I second this.

LaTeX, I use it for my papers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witterquik View Post
    Storyist for writing (fiction).
    I've never heard of Storyist. Tell me more!
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

I hate to say it but Office is really what you want for word processing if you intend on using it for anything business related. For just personal use, google docs is an ok option. To be honest anything that is not MS office is just about the same. If you or a friend goes to a university or is at all tied to education in general you are generally able to get MS office dirt cheap (around $10 USD). Also, a lot of companies have deals with MS were you can get office for like $15 (Worth every single penny).

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd recommend Libre Office. You can still use many of the MS Word templates available for free online.

For really basic stuff, just use WordPad in Windows, it's free, in the Accessories menu.

I find it interesting how many recommeneded Microsoft Word, even thought the OP said they did not want to use it. Many people do not have access to the free/discounted versions of it.

OP, you can, however, use the online version for free, with limited features: https://office.com/start/default.aspx You can get more features for a monthly fee, so you don't have to shell out a lot of money.
    Last edited by Vermicious; 2014-07-24 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    I

I find it interesting how many recommeneded Microsoft Word, even thought the OP said they did not want to use it. Many people do not have access to the free/discounted versions of it.

OP, you can, however, use the online version for free, with limited features: https://office.com/start/default.aspx You can get more features for a monthly fee, so you don't have to shell out a lot of money.

Asking what is your favorite word processor, but not Microsoft Word, is like what is your favorite candy, but not chocolate.

Word is the best IMO, if you can't get a $10 version from school/work whatever I would recommend LibreOffice over either open office or Google Docs.

since i reformatted my computer a couple years ago the windows 7 disk I used did not give me back microsoft word and I sure as hell was not going to pay for it and then I found openoffice and I love it so much more then word and its completely free. Office allows you to choose the font you want to auto use for all documents (I use andalus) and lets you easily change pretty much all the colors of the document - background, border, font color, and a bunch more to your liking (I use black background with white text because it's easier on my eyes)

I haven't had any compatibility issues with other programs because when you save something there is a drop down menu for you to choose which format you want to save it in.

In the end it comes down to personal preference in what you want to use but all these programs will work just fine
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

If you're at an university with a .edu email account, you can obtain Office 365 University ($80 for 4 years, 2 computers, 1TB OneDrive storage included).

Office Online (free) is a browser based version of full Microsoft Office 2013/365, but with less features.

Overall, Office Online is much better than Google Docs. 1) What you see is what you get; 2) Additional features (e.g. formatting)

The primary detractors are: 1) Not as fast as full Office 2013 2) Multi-person sync isn't realtime like Google's

Access via: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/online/ or http://onedrive.live.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    I am having difficulties finding out how/where to get MS Office for around $10 as a student. Any help? Is this something I have to do through my school?