Page 1 of 54
... LastLast
    Deleted

[TV] Star Wars Rebels

Oh boy... It really is Disney now. They took what was great about the Clone Wars as an animated series, removed everything that has anything to do with any kind of adult issues, and targeted the 2-5 -year-old demographic full on. I mean sure, hey, it's great that kids find Star Wars and fall in love with and all that, but is there really need to make a Bob the Builder Star Wars series?

What sucks about all of this is that obviously I'll want to watch the show, because it's Star Wars, but then I'd be a 35-year-old man watching a show clearly made for 5-year-old children.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, a tv show with explosions and killing for 5 year olds. Looks fine to me. Just more light hearted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Outside your window... sit up straighter, that's bad for your posture!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Oh boy... It really is Disney now. They took what was great about the Clone Wars as an animated series, removed everything that has anything to do with any kind of adult issues, and targeted the 2-5 -year-old demographic full on. I mean sure, hey, it's great that kids find Star Wars and fall in love with and all that, but is there really need to make a Bob the Builder Star Wars series?

What sucks about all of this is that obviously I'll want to watch the show, because it's Star Wars, but then I'd be a 35-year-old man watching a show clearly made for 5-year-old children.
    Looks fine to me. I see nothing childish about other than some lighthearted humor. Kinda like how Clone wars began too isn't it? Don't judge a book by its cover, and wait to see what comes of it. I'm looking forward to it, and the show will inevitably evolve as time goes on, like how Clone Wars did.
    "Is it a crime to know the truth? Is it sin to reach for those things which you fear?" - Schwarzvald

10+ Year Old Account
    It's definitely aimed at 12-13 and up. Nothing screams childish about this trailer. Sorry but I cannot buy that. If anything it seems like the average Starwars Themes. Now, artistically I disagree but it's not bad in itself. I'd probably increase the violence just a little bit. Like Chickat said, it's semi lighthearted. If you look deeper and actually try to not be dishonest it'd say it can be brutal.

If anything if I had a child. I'd be watching it with them since there's some fighting going on.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I didn't particularly get that "Bob, the builder" vibe that was described in the OP. ´

I did however see a trailer for an animated TV Show aimed for kids, involving Star Wars.
    And it wasn't only childish stuff, per se. Lightsaber fighting, plenty of jumping around, spaceships fighting each other in space while dodging stuff; All with the occasional humor and light-hearted feeling one would expect of a TV show aimed for children.

While I would love a Star Wars-Based TV Show aimed for me, I can't help but to feel glad that children have the chance to get emotionally engaged with the Star Wars Universe with a show aimed especially for them.
    Last edited by Darkeon; 2014-07-23 at 06:38 AM.

Deleted
    Yeah, uhh... Shooting people with pew pew laser guns has very little to do with whether it's for younger children or for older people. Violence has always been a staple of Disney cartoons. That's not what I meant, at all.

What makes it very childish for me is the simplified dialogue and how it's delivered, the simplified and "Duplo" -esque extremely rainbow-colored artistic style as compared to the already very cartoon-like Clone Wars, the whole concept of having this young boy who has no parents, which as a plot device seems plucked out of so many 80s children's movies, the hilariously cliched trailer voice - although I understand that's only for the trailer, but nevertheless, shows a lot about to whom it's being marketed, and so on.

I know it might just be me, but having watched the entire Clone Wars and being an avid fan anyway, and knowing what was done, even a while back, maybe even before the whole Disney thing - although I'm sure it was during that exact time, to the official Star Wars EU site, which was turned into this flashy kids' playground (I think the old site might be found in some internet archive, just can't remember what the url was), and the fact that the whole EU was ditched and everything simplified a lot, this whole thing just seems like it's aimed at so very young children.

Oh well, just have to hope Episode 7 doesn't go the same route. If it's more for the kids than Episode 1, then I guess we can finally put the franchise out of it's misery.

Hmmm....I have a feeling the main character (The blue haired "kid" that...doesn't seem to talk in the trailer when everyone else does...I only made it half way through mind).

I'm a little bit intrigued because of the Twilek girl (I quite liked Twileks girls when I played SWTOR. Twilek men...YUCK!), but sadly she appears to be a support character, not the main character.

As for the age demographic...Meh, all us nerds watch and read plenty of things "intended" for a young audience...what's one more?
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Yeah, uhh... Shooting people with pew pew laser guns has very little to do with whether it's for younger children or for older people. Violence has always been a staple of Disney cartoons. That's not what I meant, at all.

What makes it very childish for me is the simplified dialogue and how it's delivered, the simplified and "Duplo" -esque extremely rainbow-colored artistic style as compared to the already very cartoon-like Clone Wars, the whole concept of having this young boy who has no parents, which as a plot device seems plucked out of so many 80s children's movies, the hilariously cliched trailer voice - although I understand that's only for the trailer, but nevertheless, shows a lot about to whom it's being marketed, and so on.

I know it might just be me, but having watched the entire Clone Wars and being an avid fan anyway, and knowing what was done, even a while back, maybe even before the whole Disney thing - although I'm sure it was during that exact time, to the official Star Wars EU site, which was turned into this flashy kids' playground (I think the old site might be found in some internet archive, just can't remember what the url was), and the fact that the whole EU was ditched and everything simplified a lot, this whole thing just seems like it's aimed at so very young children.

Oh well, just have to hope Episode 7 doesn't go the same route. If it's more for the kids than Episode 1, then I guess we can finally put the franchise out of it's misery.
    A young child with no parents who has potential to be a jedi? You mean like Ahsoka? Also, how does color = childish in any way? Seems like you are just assuming it will be childish based solely on the fact that it is being made by Disney. Oh, and the trailer voice... yeah.

Now of course the series is not going to be some dark and gritty adult series, but I don't see what makes you think it is aimed at 5 years olds. It looks like they are going for a teen-ish age group. A similar audience that series like the Clone Wars tv series and The Last Airbender was geared towards. I am not saying it will be great, I have no idea. I just think it is bizarre to dismiss it based only on one, short trailer and the fact that it contained the Disney logo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read somewhere Ahsoka going to turn up in this at some point... heres hoping vader does as well....
    The sims lies, don't trust them....

The moment I saw the lightsaber my interest dropped by 100%

Would've been nice to see something non-Jedi focused for a change, especially during this era
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

There's one Jedi character out of six main ones. That's way less than the Clone Wars, which followed the Jedi almost exclusively.

But they're not going to do a Star Wars cartoon without the biggest selling point of the setting.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Dairios View Post
    Looks fine to me. I see nothing childish about other than some lighthearted humor. Kinda like how Clone wars began too isn't it? Don't judge a book by its cover, and wait to see what comes of it. I'm looking forward to it, and the show will inevitably evolve as time goes on, like how Clone Wars did.
    its even made by the same people who did clone wars. just a bunch of people overreacting.

clone wars started off kinda bad and slow, everybody hated the movie. now its pretty much singlehandedly redeemed the prequels.

i have alot of faith in this show

- - - Updated - - -

the fact that one of the main characters is based off old chewbacca concept art should tell you all you need about this shows writers

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account

Star Wars Rebels October 2014

Looks pretty interesting. There is a episode out if you want too see it (gogle it). Not full one tho.

Star Wars Rebels is an upcoming CGI animated series produced by Lucasfilm and Lucasfilm Animation. It is set to take place between 14 years after Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and 5 years before Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, in which the Galactic Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking form. The visual style of Star Wars Rebels is heavily inspired by the original Star Wars trilogy concept art by Ralph McQuarrie.

The series is scheduled to premiere in October 2014 as a one-hour special on Disney Channel, and will then air as a series on Disney XD channels worldwide. Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg, and Greg Weisman have all been announced as executive producers. Kinberg has stated that the first season would contain 16 episodes and revealed that the series will feature new characters along with characters from the original trilogy.

Downside.....we gota wait too see it . Upside, Ahsoka will maybe make a comeback. 14 years older tho.
    Clone wars series was episode 2 too 3, those are episode 3--) rebel making---)4 if i am not wrong. Anakin kid would be old 14 years, so 4 years before his sister sends him a bots (if he was 18 at that time, no idea).

Don't sweat the details!!!

Why does Lucas bastardize his own lore? Why?

...yeah I'm neither a fan of this or that Clone Wars cgi crap.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Already a thread.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ar-Wars-Rebels

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post

Lucas no longer has any say in Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post

The Clone Wars isn't great (though that's mainly to do with it being crammed full of dull filler to make up 24 episodes every season), but it does a remarkable job of salvaging a ton of the terrible ideas Lucas introduced in the prequels and turning them into something that's actually workable and interesting.
    Unfortunately it was still held back by the flawed source material, several of the dull characters, and the fact that it was constrained by being a "bridge" between two terrible movies.

I've got high hopes for Rebels, since it's going to be free of everything that dragged down Clone Wars, which should allow the team behind it to spread their wings a little more and work with wholly original content and characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Already a thread.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ar-Wars-Rebels

- - - Updated - - -

Lucas no longer has any say in Star Wars.
    Yeah search fuction failed me. Asked to merge the treads.

Man i hope so much they kill off that anoying Jar Jar Binks in one of the episodes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Clone Wars series was absolutely brilliant, great fan of that. Almost managed to salvage the awfulness of the prequel movies. Can't believe they'd scrap it for something like this...
    It was finished. But they only put a last season on dvds and other stuff (never on tv).
    It pretty much ends on a day or week before episode 3 happens. (exept one jar jar filter episode that i suggest to skip)

I have to say, I didn't like this at all. It feels like a downgrade in animation, writing, and dialogue from TCW. Maybe it will grow on me but so far not a good first impression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still don't understand the hate for the prequels, there were shoddy parts I agree but it's like everyone is completely blind towards any iffy acting (and Ewoks) in the originals.

I'm looking forward to Rebels as I thoroughly enjoyed The Clone Wars, I for one did not mind the "filler" episodes as they were battles throughout the clone wars that were just fun little episodes. Sometimes I don't see why people think "filler" is bad, it's the same exact concept as Skyrim, the main story is always there but filler is surrounded by it. It's a more adventurous way to make a show when you have filler.
    Hey everyone