Sunfire/Moonfir in WoD

Not sure if this has been already been tested/confirmed on the Beta:

Blizzard wants to move away from the "snapshotting" aspect of DoTs so i'm curious, will this also effect our eclipses now that they gradually get stronger as we go deeper into the Eclipses?

I.E - If I apply moonfire at 15 lunar energy, will it tick harder at 70 lunar energy dynamically? Or will I need to re-apply the DoT at a higher lunar energy to get the stronger tick?

Based on what Blizzard has said in past posts and my gut feeling, i think it will scale dynamically (otherwise this is going to make our rotation really F*** awful). But just wanted to confirm before I start flipping tables and putting a Jihad on Blizzard.

good question,afaik on live boomkins is already the only class that doesn't have snapshotting with anything but lunar mastery.

And in warlords they wanted to go away from procbased snapshotting but focus mainly on snapshotting with damage. So this could mean that the high lunar/solar woudl be the best time to apply moon/sunfire. It could also just be fire and forget. I'll test it out and come back.

edit: here's what i found.(wearing no proc gear etc)

moonfire at 0/0 lunar moon -> Moonfire. Ticks for ~3k.
    Lunar went to 100 and ticks were still 3k.
    reapplied moonfire at 100 lunar, and it now ticks for 3.5k
    -> so damage snapshots with the current lunar/mastery level

While it was ticking, i used celestial mastery and damage went up to 4.5k on existing dots. So it would seem that you dont need to reapply dots after using celestial allignment.

Edit2: here's a weird observation, when reapplying dots during celestial alignment both sun and moonfire got applied, but both at half damage, so the ticks were 1750, during celestial alignment.

That has to be a bug, if i apply moonfire, wait for lunar then apply sunfire, i get both dots and they both tick for 3.5k

TLDR: Moon/sunfire snapshots the current lunar/solar when they are applied.
    They both benefit from % damage increase and procs without being reapplied (no snapshotting of trinkets/celestial damage bonus)
    and celestial alignment is bugged atm on beta so you reapplying dots during celestial alignment applies 2 dots dealing 50% of their normal damage. each.
    Last edited by Kaykay; 2014-07-23 at 03:42 PM.

Currently front page...

Details of changes to Balance:
    Eclipse has been redesigned.
    The damage of damage-over-time effects changes dynamically as Eclipse changes.
    Moonfire now has a base duration of 20 seconds (up from 14 seconds), but is no longer extended by Starfire and Starsurge critical strikes. Upon reaching 100 Lunar Energy, the next Moonfire deals 100% additional initial damage.
    Sunfire is no longer its own spell and replaces Moonfire on the action bar whenever Balance Energy is on the Solar side. Sunfire now has a base duration of 24 20 seconds (up from 14 seconds), but is no longer extended by Wrath and Starsurge critical strikes. Enemies may still suffer from both Moonfire and Sunfire’s periodic damage components simultaneously. Upon reaching 100 Solar Energy, the next Sunfire deals 100% additional initial damage.

I imagine they haven't patched this behavior in yet.

thanks guys good to know. As long as they plan on implementing it before the Xpac goes live that's all i care about

Regarding this:

"Upon reaching 100 Lunar Energy, the next Moonfire deals 100% additional initial damage."
    "Upon reaching 100 Solar Energy, the next Sunfire deals 100% additional initial damage."

Wouldn't this fuck us up when moving even more? Say u just applied a buffed dot from a recent eclipse and now I need to move.... As per current design u'd be spamming ur eclipsed dot etc but that would override it... Is Lunar Shower still applicable in WoD?

Quote Originally Posted by land View Post
    Wouldn't this fuck us up when moving even more? Say u just applied a buffed dot from a recent eclipse and now I need to move.... As per current design u'd be spamming ur eclipsed dot etc but that would override it... Is Lunar Shower still applicable in WoD?
    Re - read it. It just the INITIAL damage. Since it doesn't snap shot, it has no effect on the dot portion of the damage, it simply boosts the initial direct damage.

THIS is in effect (sort of) the new Lunar Shower (the current version does not exist in WoD)

Oh lol I always thought it buffed the dots as well.. Silly me.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Currently front page...

The damage of damage-over-time effects changes dynamically as Eclipse changes.
    What that implies is that it is optimal to use apply/extend the dots on just entering or leaving a eclipse, since there's no gain to do it at the peak.
    I think this is a better design than everything being best at eclipse's peak.

Quote Originally Posted by InfusOnWoW View Post
    What that implies is that it is optimal to use apply/extend the dots on just entering or leaving a eclipse, since there's no gain to do it at the peak.
    I think this is a better design than everything being best at eclipse's peak.
    u definitely still moonfire at the peak for the extra intial nuke damage single tar. I think sunfire is still the x2 before you enter and leave.

On top of that the peak was incredibly awkward for multidotting and even single target w/ low haste is cramped for 2 starfires so yea.

Just a quick side comment - always hitting moonfire at 100 wasn't skilled, this is about the same "skill" just with more flexibility.
    Last edited by timmytompadderham; 2014-07-23 at 10:28 PM.