Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Heroic/Arena gear in the cash shop is NOT pay to win

It's only pay to win if you gain an advantage by paying. Instead, you accelerate the diminishment of disadvantage. You still have the same learning curve as everyone else, and everyone can still get all the cards.

Its pay to progress faster.

It's not pay to win because a raider/pvper can get the same gear the paying player gets.What makes the difference is the time spent to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Skillslam View Post
    What makes the difference is the time spent to do so.
    That is literally pay to win. What happens in Week 1 of a season when some rich dipshit has full season gear and stomps everybody into the ground like hes playing at 1k rating?

wrong but okay. not sure how you can classify being able to buy the best gear in the game without spending any time earning it not pay to win. thats exactly what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    I think many people use the word "scale" the same way the smurfs use "smurf".

But the thing is you are gaining an advantage by progressing faster.

Pay to progress faster in a game based around gear progression is pay to win. You can semanticise it all you want; it doesn't change the fact.

Nice try, OP.

As I'm sure you know, otherwise you wouldn't have made a thread like this out of the blue, heroic gear is the final reward and thus buying it with real money is like paying to finish a marathon. (Whereas Boost is like paying to get seeded.)

Lets say its week 1 of a pvp season or raid tier. Guild A buys full prideful or full 566 ilvl gear for the content, Guild B has the previous tier/season of gear. Which guild performs better?

/thread
    You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!

oh please not this shit again.

It doesn't matter because WoW will never do a cash shop for gear like that, or gear with any stats.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW's a progression based game. If I can pay to skip that progression then it's pay to win since everyone else will be limited by their caps.

Maybe if you can buy your weeks worth of CP/VP without having to do anything that may be ok since you're really just saving a few hours of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand your logic. That's the very definition of "Pay to Win"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    Pay to progress faster in a game based around gear progression is pay to win. You can semanticise it all you want; it doesn't change the fact.
    Pretty much this^

It would be kinda ok if they only added the option to buy the arena/hc raid gear when the current tier had been out for several months. Because then it would be more of a catch-up-mechanic than a speed-up-progress one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think the OP understands what "pay to win" means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pay to win is the ability to buy power, the best gear in the game = power.

So yes, yes it is!

What if he is talking about Heroic dungeon gear and Honor gear?

Because I can see that happening with this fanbase's mentality of what's acceptable to pay for.

Pay to win is the ability to buy power, the best gear in the game = power.

So yes, yes it is!
    In Blacklight Retribution, you can pay for currency to unlock and purchase the level restricted stuff (and not to mention the hours it takes to grind out the normal currency to rent).
    Yet it's widely claimed to not be "pay to win."

I don't see how this is any different even if you could purchase Conquest and Heroic raid gear.
    Last edited by HeedmySpeed; 2014-07-24 at 05:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aethilus View Post
    Lets say its week 1 of a pvp season or raid tier. Guild A buys full prideful or full 566 ilvl gear for the content, Guild B has the previous tier/season of gear. Which guild performs better?

/thread
    if Guild A is a scrub guild that can't even clear normal and Guild B is a guild that's cleared every heroic raid within a reasonable amount of time it's Guild B every time.

Quote Originally Posted by HeedmySpeed View Post
    What if he is talking about Heroic dungeon gear and Honor gear?

Because I can see that happening with this fanbase's mentality of what's acceptable to pay for.
    I would be fine with purchasible LFR gear and honor gear. Heck I can tolerate conquest purchase assuming that it does not go over the cap.

Of course that is just me and many other people would find that unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

10+ Year Old Account
    "winning" in this game = obtaining the best gear.

Getting to max level, or soon to be 10 levels below max level ≠ winning.

Don't need people trying to passive-aggresively make points.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillslam View Post
    It's only pay to win if you gain an advantage by paying. Instead, you accelerate the diminishment of disadvantage. You still have the same learning curve as everyone else, and everyone can still get all the cards.

Its pay to progress faster.

It's not pay to win because a raider/pvper can get the same gear the paying player gets.What makes the difference is the time spent to do so.
    That is the definition of Pay-2-Win there. Basicly the purchase of that brings you faster ahead than having to work from Greens random blues into Heroic dungeon gear and further.

Unless the equipment you buy is really low down, it is P2W (see boosted gear, late in the expansion, just a little better than HC Dungeon gear)

Unless if even worse, it is Heroic raiding gear you mean. You are getting an advantage by getting the gear you believe isn't Pay-2-Win
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

This is either trolling or you don't understand the core concept of pay to win.