Thread: Moon Base

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Moon Base

Moon Base:

Good? Bad? Pointless? Necessary? What are the pros and cons of building one and what is your opinion on returning to the moon.

10+ Year Old Account
    A permanent base? Pointless. Like the Moon landings? I can see reasons for doing them again.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Moon Base:

Good? Bad? Pointless? Necessary? What are the pros and cons of building one and what is your opinion on returning to the moon.
    It will become a thing, once we perfect Nuclear Fusion. Helium3 is present on the Moon in amounts and concentrations that would make exploitation financially viable.

I don't see us returning to the Moon anytime sooner, simply because there is nothing else worthwhile up there.

We could, but we'd have to fight for it, as the Nazis already control the moon, this is why we haven't gone back.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Moon Base:

I have concerns over mining the moon. For one, it doesn't seem like a good idea to reduce the mass of the moon while increasing the mass of the earth. So I don't think mining would be a good option. But maybe using it as a shipping base for metals, then shuttle them down as the moon passes close to the destination. Turn it into a space sport. I don't think there's any military reason to build a base on the moon for one country alone. It'd have to be a multi-country thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shemsu Hov View Post
    I have concerns over mining the moon. For one, it doesn't seem like a good idea to reduce the mass of the moon while increasing the mass of the earth. So I don't think mining would be a good option.
    lmfao what

Deleted
    Pro's -
    Advances in technology.
    Launching point for manned mission to Mars.
    Possible mining of Helium-3
    Launch point for exploration of the rest of the solar system.
    Lots of other Pro's

Con's -
    Cost.

if we are going to have manned exploration of the solar system, then the production, storing, and distribution of fuel and supplies from the moon is a necessity due to the reduced amount of fuel needed to escape luna gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    We could, but we'd have to fight for it, as the Nazis already control the moon, this is why we haven't gone back.
    Had to google this but the internet says it's true.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    lmfao what
    You know, tidal force? Do you know what would happen to our planet if the Moon suddenly wasn't there? Not a pretty sight. The Moon's tidal grasp not only affects the oceans, but the actual crust of the planet as well.

But, yeah... It's not like we'd make a huge dent on the mass of the Moon any time soon, so it's a bit of a non-issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, no, Newt Gingrich controls the moon.

- - - Updated - - -

I have concerns over mining the moon. For one, it doesn't seem like a good idea to reduce the mass of the moon while increasing the mass of the earth. So I don't think mining would be a good option. But maybe using it as a shipping base for metals, then shuttle them down as the moon passes close to the destination. Turn it into a space sport. I don't think there's any military reason to build a base on the moon for one country alone. It'd have to be a multi-country thing.
    You'd have to mine the moon quite extensively to have any sort of appreciable effect... especially when you're extracting... helium.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Had to google this but the internet says it's true.
    There was even a movie about a moon colonization scenario not long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    You know, tidal force? Do you know what would happen to our planet if the Moon suddenly wasn't there? Not a pretty sight. The Moon's tidal grasp not only affects the oceans, but the actual crust of the planet as well.

But, yeah... It's not like we'd make a huge dent on the mass of the Moon any time soon, so it's a bit of a non-issue.
    I'm mostly thinking long term. Yes we couldn't make a huge dent in our life time but it just seems like poor foresight launch a launch a full scale mining operation. My concerns being the quantity of metals on the moon. I don't know much about mining so I couldn't say much more.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm mostly thinking long term. Yes we couldn't make a huge dent in our life time but it just seems like poor foresight launch a launch a full scale mining operation. My concerns being the quantity of metals on the moon. I don't know much about mining so I couldn't say much more.
    The moon is almost utterly devoid of any metals. It'd probably be more economically viable to recycle or reconstitute metals on earth than it would be to hunt for scant metal deposits on the moon.

And at any rate, mining operations would be launched to obtain helium3 from the lunar regolith. Not for "exotic moon metals."
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2014-07-24 at 05:25 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The moons gradually drifting away from us. Reducing the mass of the moon and increasing the mass of the earth could put a stop to that

Only joking. Even if we did mine the moon it would only be a miniscule fraction of the total mass and it's not going to cause the moon to slam into the earth or anything.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    The moons gradually drifting away from us. Reducing the mass of the moon and increasing the mass of the earth could put a stop to that

Only joking. Even if we did mine the moon it would only be a miniscule fraction of the total mass and it's not going to cause the moon to slam into the earth or anything.
    I was just concerned about the tides mostly :P

But Helium3, I thought that was just shit from Iron Sky lol. I have a feeling I'm being trolled.

Deleted
    The mass of the moon is said to be 81 billion tons, ie 81 Million, Million Tons. it would take a Long, LONG, time before we made any noticible difference in the mass of the moon, so long in fact that the earth would probably be swallowed by the sun turning into a red giant before we made any difference. By that time we would have perfected and mass produced exotic materials needed for interstellar transport. Or turned into some sort of alien metal by giant robots.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was just concerned about the tides mostly :P

But Helium3, I thought that was just shit from Iron Sky lol. I have a feeling I'm being trolled.
    Nope Helium 3 is incredibly abundant on the moon, in fact the weight of the mining facilities on the moon would probably be greater than the Helium we would mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    For starters, the moon really doesn't have good soil for building in/on. Second, there's really nothing useful to be mined out of the moon. Colonies for living and dragging asteroids back from the asteroid belt would be much better.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    A moon base sounds fancy, but there's not a lot attracting us there. It's also still at the bottom of a (smaller) gravity well. If we need cheap real estate, it's useful, but we aren't there yet.

More important, to me, is a near-Earth orbital station. I mean a massive, city-sized thing. It doesn't have to be a low orbit; pretty much anywhere stable between us and the Moon is fine. The Lagrangian points are ideal, since (in theory) they don't decay, and even if they do, chances are it doesn't head towards Earth. The idea is this station becomes the central origin point for orbital activity. Astronauts train there, ships are built there, resources are mined there, etc. The vast majority of our efforts in space travel involve getting TO orbit, and coming BACK from orbit. Eliminating those is a big deal.

As for where we're mining resources from; asteroids. Yes, they're way out. Fly a remote drone (or three) out, drill them into the rock, use the low-fuel thrusters to push the rock down towards the base. We don't need a lot of thrust; the first rock is gonna take years (decades), but it's an unmanned system. We lose nothing in waiting for it. If we keep sending more, then we can get new rocks incoming as fast as we can mine them, with some planning ahead. And once we're processing the resources in space, we don't need to ship them up the gravity well, meaning there's a lot fewer restrictions on construction. The ISS is cramped and tiny because we have to pay for every ounce that goes up. A ship, you need more thrust for every ounce you push. A station, though, can be as massive as you like, in theory.