Thread: Moon Base

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    My mind boggles in horror at the apparent sincerity of your statements.
    What you mentioned the previous time - that you don't read posts to the end before quoting - shows here. Yvaelle explained in the very next paragraph what he/she actually meant.
    My advice: don't comment things you haven't read - it will save you a lot of reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    What you mentioned the previous time - that you don't read posts to the end before quoting - shows here. Yvaelle explained in the very next paragraph what he/she actually meant.
    My advice: don't comment things you haven't read - it will save you a lot of reputation.
    No, his comment is absurd regardless. The existence of fusion in the sun does not mean fusion reactors can be built. They use entirely different confinement schemes and nuclear reactions (the sun burns mainly with the proton-proton chain, which no proposed human-built reactor could use.)

Now, if he was suggesting we exploit fusion energy by building solar energy collectors, that is much more reasonable.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    No, his comment is absurd regardless. The existence of fusion in the sun does not mean fusion reactors can be built. They use entirely different confinement schemes and nuclear reactions (the sun burns mainly with the proton-proton chain, which no proposed human-built reactor could use.)

Now, if he was suggesting we exploit fusion energy by building solar energy collectors, that is much more reasonable.
    You know, what we can build in the future is not limited by what we have proposed by now... It is possible that in a very far future (like 1000 years later or so) we will be able to build small "Suns" functioning exactly the same way.

When you talk about future, you kind of have to expand your fantasy beyond what is deemed possible to build by today's standards.

You know, what we can build in the future is not limited by what we have proposed by now... It is possible that in a very far future (like 1000 years later or so) we will be able to build small "Suns" functioning exactly the same way.

When you talk about future, you kind of have to expand your fantasy beyond what is deemed possible to build by today's standards.
    No, it is unreasonable that the pp reaction could be made to work in conditions outside those of a star. The reaction is EXTREMELY slow for fundamental reasons -- even at solar core densities, your average proton will last for many billions of years before reacting. It would require fantasy-level new physics to make this workable.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Yes. Because it's fun, do we need any other reason to build one?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it is unreasonable that the pp reaction could be made to work in conditions outside those of a star. The reaction is EXTREMELY slow for fundamental reasons -- even at solar core densities, your average proton will last for many billions of years before reacting. It would require fantasy-level new physics to make this workable.
    Well, we have major breakthroughs in physics and technology every few decades, so, I guess, 1000 years later our technology and understanding of physics will be on such a level that our ancestors will see us as cavemen. It should certainly be possible to create densities on Earth well above those at the core of the Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Yes. Because it's fun, do we need any other reason to build one?
    "Fun" doesn't exactly justify those hundreds billions dollars required to build one.

Well, we have major breakthroughs in physics and technology every few decades, so, I guess, 1000 years later our technology and understanding of physics will be on such a level that our ancestors will see us as cavemen. It should certainly be possible to create densities on Earth well above those at the core of the Sun.
    We can create higher densities, yes, but only for nanoseconds. Now all you need to do is show how to increase the cross section of the pp reaction by 26 orders of magnitude or so. Piece of cake, right?

And actually, breakthroughs in physics have slowed way down, and will likely end well before 1000 years have past. There are only so many laws of physics to discover, after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    We can create higher densities, yes, but only for nanoseconds. Now all you need to do is show how to increase the cross section of the pp reaction by 26 orders of magnitude or so. Piece of cake, right?

And actually, breakthroughs in physics have slowed way down, and will likely end well before 1000 years have past. There are only so many laws of physics to discover, after all.
    Dude... Don't be stubborn. The fact that we can create them today only for nanoseconds doesn't mean we won't be able to create them for ages 1000 years later. And no one says it is going to be piece of cake: technology and physics are tough to develop, it will require many generations of active research by millions scientists to get to that (hypothetical) point.

And if you think that we are close to discovering all laws of physics, you are very, VERY wrong. People thought the same way 150 years ago. We will NEVER discover even a tiny bit of all the laws and principles governing our Universe.

Holy crap, it lives!!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...=445053&page=3
    (7 page thread about... MOON BASE!) "You can get a lot more with a base and a moon than you can get with just a moon."

Civilization players are weird people.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Given this very though has been present all through history... that we've closed the book of physics oh so many times thinking we were done... only to find out that every single discovery leads to an increasingly higher amount of questions unanswered... I'm inclined to believe we have stuff to figure for some millenia to come. There are only so many few minds (when compared to the vastness of the universe and knowledge itself) working on figuring stuff out, after all :].

For the people making fun of me the other day for talking about moon conspiracies, Forbes just did a related article on it. Now before anyone puts words in my mouth and starts quoting the article and dissecting it (and I know you guys are going to) I know it's not completely related. It's just an interesting read. That's it. That's all.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedor...ien-artifacts/
    Last edited by Coldhearth; 2014-07-27 at 07:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only if it was more of like a forward Garrison incase any maybe astroids come our way and the Moonbase can with technology and power give Earth a heads up. I don't see this possible for a very long time though. At least for now.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    For the people making fun of me the other day for talking about moon conspiracies, Forbes just did a related article on it. Now before anyone puts words in my mouth and starts quoting the article and dissecting it (and I know you guys are going to) I know it's not completely related. It's just an interesting read. That's it. That's all.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedor...ien-artifacts/
    I suggest we start not with Moon, but rather Mars. Then we will uncover Prothean artifacts and become a member of the Citadel!

Oh, wait, when the Reapers will come and kill us all... We definitely need to raise Shepard before doing that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suggest we start not with Moon, but rather Mars. Then we will uncover Prothean artifacts and become a member of the Citadel!

Oh, wait, when the Reapers will come and kill us all... We definitely need to raise Shepard before doing that.
    Cause the Citadel totally helps us....

#TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Cause the Citadel totally helps us....

Well, we do get benefits of Asari or Turian technology, so, I say, yes, it helps us a lot.

Deleted
    Well, we do get benefits of Asari or Turian technology, so, I say, yes, it helps us a lot.
    It's just a weapon bro, it's made so our technology evolves how Reapers want it, so they can massacre us later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    It's just a weapon bro, it's made so our technology evolves how Reapers want it, so they can massacre us later.
    But in the end we defeat them, no? We just need to raise us some commander Shepard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of going to Mars, NASA is planning to send a device with the next rover that will turn CO2 into oxygen.

http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-test-maki...210726025.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Speaking of going to Mars, NASA is planning to send a device with the next rover that will turn CO2 into oxygen.

http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-test-maki...210726025.html
    Wow, that's pretty amazing actually. Whatever happened to that program that promised to send people to Mars by 2020 and make a reality show about it though?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Wow, that's pretty amazing actually. Whatever happened to that program that promised to send people to Mars by 2020 and make a reality show about it though?
    I think it's still going?
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter