Page 1 of 3
LastLast

3 commercial airline crashes in a month

3 in a month, 4 so far this year. What's going on with aviation?! I wont be flying anytime soon.

Deleted
    Let's look at some facts;
    3 million people fly daily
    There are around 90,000 flights per day
    The chance to be in an accident is about 3 million to one

Reality: You're pretty damn safe even with a few accidents per year.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Let's look at some facts;
    3 million people fly daily
    There are around 90,000 flights per day
    The chance to be in an accident is about 3 million to one

Reality: You're pretty damn safe even with a few accidents per year.
    NO! It is the end times. We are doomed.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooOOOooOOoOOOOOOmed!

---

Shit like this is always happening the world over. The only reason its headline worthy at the moment is because mainstream media is tired of running the same old stories about the middle east.

In the last month 750,000 people would have died of starvation or hunger related illness. So before you stop flying you should help raise awareness for world hunger.

Does "shot down by a SAM" really count as an "airline crash" though?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

The world is overpopulated as it is. At least by half of its current population.

A few airplane crashes won't fix the problem...some job openings will be available and other people will get to enjoy life where they could have been having hardship.

All part of the circle of life.

Just a coincidence that's all. We are still more likely getting killed during our drive to work than by flying so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    And fatal car accidents occur every 15 minutes. That means there are an average of 35,000 deaths in cars every year.

Planes are fucking safe yo.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

It does make me feel excited to be flying to Germany>UK in the Fall lol...

but it seems to just be all these asian airlines so I might be ok!

Also I've thoroughly debunked the "planes are safest lol" myth in a previous thread like a year and some ago.

"FATALITIES PER PASSENGER VEHICLE MILES TRAVELLED" is a bunk statistic. Planes travel faster. If something goes horribly wrong on a plane, it can easily travel hundreds of miles before it crashes. If something goes horribly wrong on a car, it comes to a stop in relatively short order.

The proper statistic would be fatalities per passenger operating hour.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Media hype: the smaller one today wouldn't be in the news if the other recent crashes hadn't been such 'news'.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Also I've thoroughly debunked the "planes are safest lol" myth in a previous thread like a year and some ago.

"FATALITIES PER PASSENGER VEHICLE MILES TRAVELLED" is a bunk statistic. Planes travel faster. If something goes horribly wrong on a plane, it can easily travel hundreds of miles before it crashes. If something goes horribly wrong on a car, it comes to a stop in relatively short order.

Then it would be Kayaks are probably the least safe! Or longships, or perhaps Galleons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds about on par the course. Most the time they go unreported.

OP, do you realize just how many planes are in the air at one time? One or two of them can crash in a period of a month, and air travel will still be safer than driving by a significant factor.

As an example, I've been a ramp agent for over a year. Not a single one of the aircraft I've handled has crashed yet. They've been operating for at least a year without incident. And when airplanes do crash, you have a pretty good chance of survival, airplanes aren't as deadly as people are lead to believe. They do not drop out of the sky, they can glide (not very well, but they can glide) and crews are highly trained in bringing a broken bird down to the ground. On top of that, airplanes have redundancies on top of redundancies. Look inside one and you'll see multiple hydraulic lines that do the same thing. And there are high maintenance standards that must always be met. JetBlue, as an example, is great for maintenance, because every turn has a maintenance dude standing by and every JetBlue RON is inspected at night by maintenance before it flies the next morning (United doesn't do this, United is retarded and waits for the plane to break.)

You have a greater chance of being in a fatal car crash than in an airplane accident.

So go, buy a plane ticket, fly somewhere. You'll be fine.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    The world is overpopulated as it is. At least by half of its current population.

A few airplane crashes won't fix the problem...some job openings will be available and other people will get to enjoy life where they could have been having hardship.

Are you trying to sound like a asshole on purpose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post

If something goes horribly wrong, it can travel hundreds of miles? That's a good thing. That gives the pilots time to find a suitable place for a crash landing.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post

You are so wrong, the majority of the world is not populated and we produce so much food that most of it is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    If something goes horribly wrong, it can travel hundreds of miles? That's a good thing. That gives the pilots time to find a suitable place for a crash landing.
    My point is that you don't spend 2 hours in a plane to go to work.
    You spend 2 hours on a plane to go half way across the country.

Two entirely different systems of transport with entirely different purposes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    And fatal car accidents occur every 15 minutes. That means there are an average of 35,000 deaths in cars every year.
    Yup. On the highways of the USA, every month is September, 2001.

Can you imagine if we spent trillions on improving vehicle safety?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

15+ Year Old Account
    There has been quite an abnormal amount of small amateur plane crashes in Finland this year, too. Like 5 plane crashes or something. Which is a lot considering how small country this is.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    My sister will be flying home soon. Am I worried? Sure. But am I worried more than when she's traveling by car? Of course not.

You hear about plane crashes because it's big, a lot of people die at the same time. Not because it happens that often.