Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Just got off a plane 20 minutes ago. Getting on another in 2 minutes.
    Oh is this your shitty MIA connection? If it is, God speed. I hope you made it...
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle View Post
    Mmmmhmmm. I won't even ride roller coasters. Sure as hell not putting me in a tube and launching me through the air. I have control of what I have control of in a car. While in a plane I put my control in the hands of a person who could be working his 3rd 8hour shift non-stop. Hmm... I wonder who I trust more.
    That's illegal. After so many hours a day, a crew MUST rest for a few hours. I don't remember the exact number of hours, but pilot fatigue is a big deal to the FAA and as such crew rest is highly regulated and monitored,

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laraven View Post
    I really don't get it how ppl say flying is safer then driving. For one, there are thousands more cars on the roads then airplanes in the sky. Kinda unfair to even compare the two.
    That's why it's safer. There's less to crash into once you're at cruise.

Secondly, if your plane has issue and they are serious, you're dead. Period. Your car can have serious issues and not kill anyone.
    Absolutely not true. Certainly, a car crash is more survivable, but an airplane accident is not an execution sentence. You have a pretty good chance of surviving a plane crash, they aren't as deadly or explody as the media likes to portray. There have been really bad accidents of course, but there are many more where people, sometimes everyone, survives. Remember a few years back when a plane crashed in the Hudson in NYC? Everyone lived.

But I also know shit does happen, and all mechanical things fail at some point,
    All aircraft, commercial and private, must undergo rigorous safety inspections once a year or more to ensure these mechanical things don't fail. Do they still fail? Yes, but at a much reduced rate. Pilots and mechanics and ramp agents like myself are always looking for damage when an aircraft arrives at the gate. Catastrophic failure is very rare because of all these constant inspections (there's much more than the annual inspection, the annual is kinda like the final exam after continuous quizzing.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I'm a little afraid I'll miss my connecting flight in Miami. Two different tickets and different airlines, so I can't check my bag all the way through, and it's only a 1.5 hour layover.
    Is your bag small enough to gatecheck? Try doing that, you give the bag to the ramp agents as you board, and you'll pick it up at the gate at your destination when you get off, and it'll be only about a five minute wait (that's the time it'll take for the belt loaders to pull up and the gate check bags to be collected.)

Or if it's a large plane you might just be able to carry it on. For example, I work with JetBlue (JBU) and United Express (UAX). UAX sends these small shitty airplanes (Q-400, CRJ-700, ERJ-145) that have small overhead size, so we end up with 30+ gate checks each flight, but JBU sends us an E-190 with large overheads so we usually get maybe 2-3 items (usually strollers)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Depends on the definition of "soon". Common folk "soon", no, probably not. Now, if you are talking blizzards version of "soon", well of course I am. Not nervous at all.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm 6'5", I feel your pain.
    I'm 5'5" and some of the smaller airplanes still suck. Try flying on an ERJ-145. Those give midgets back pain!

Putin khuliyo