Keeping that steady 60fps at all costs

I got a fairly good computer:

i7 4770K oc'ed @ 4.2Ghz (could go higher but I'm a chicken)
    GTX 770

and for the most part I with ultra settings, with some options lowered. This permits me to have near 60fps (oh I'm vynced) in Shrine at peak hours, and getting an average of 42fps while raiding 25 men. It isn't bad, but it isn't stellar either. I don't know why I didn't try this before, but I just tried LOW settings: it's ugly as hell (haha) but in this lfr I did, the framerate never got below 60.

This perplexes me a bit, as I got the impression the "problem" with WoW was the processing power/bad code optimization or something, and thought my graphic card was better than WoW would require.

How many of you have a similar setup? Is 60 fps even obtainable, with some details at least? lol

Draw calls are handled by the CPU. Lower settings (stuff like particle density or shadows) = lower amount of draw calls = more CPU time left for other stuff.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Quote Originally Posted by DiGG View Post
    I got a fairly good computer:

i7 4770K oc'ed @ 4.2Ghz (could go higher but I'm a chicken)
    GTX 770

and for the most part I with ultra settings, with some options lowered. This permits me to have near 60fps (oh I'm vynced) in Shrine at peak hours, and getting an average of 42fps while raiding 25 men. It isn't bad, but it isn't stellar either. I don't know why I didn't try this before, but I just tried LOW settings: it's ugly as hell (haha) but in this lfr I did, the framerate never got below 60.

This perplexes me a bit, as I got the impression the "problem" with WoW was the processing power/bad code optimization or something, and thought my graphic card was better than WoW would require.

How many of you have a similar setup? Is 60 fps even obtainable, with some details at least? lol
    WoW isn't the only game that has performance issues, pretty much all MMOs have them. The more stuff there is on screen to be rendered the more work the CPU has to do (draw call execution is what it's called). However, this can only be done on a single core, hence why Intel is better at it than AMD.

This will be an issue till WoD where they will add options to reduce visual clutter, and hopefully in 2016 we see DX 12 support.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is 60 fps even obtainable, with some details at least? lol
    Steady, with High+ settings? No, pretty much. At least not in raids.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Is 60 fps even obtainable, with some details at least? lol
    Nope, unfortunately. The engine would need to be fully multicore to achieve that.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

7+ Year Old Account
    It's impossible with any hardware to get better than 40-45fps in 25-man with AOE's going (especially in heroic). However, I have heard that WOD might change this - the engine is getting much better optimized for multiple cores. Of course, I won't believe it until I see it on the live servers, but time will tell.