Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't believe so much wow-players think that warcraft movie will fail like faking d$d.
    Guys, this is movie based on vast lore with epic battles, epic characters and beautiful world. Those who saw the trailer said that it will be the LotR on steroids. Its perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
    I can't believe so much wow-players think that warcraft movie will fail like faking d$d.
    Guys, this is movie based on vast lore with epic battles, epic characters and beautiful world. Those who saw the trailer said that it will be the LotR on steroids. Its perfect.
    It could be if done right. The more I think and type about it and reading how awesome the trailer was in respect to the setting shown... I think it could be an incredible success even.

xxxx ----> As for the first time in human history ... a FULL 3D interactive on line MMO experience will be translated into a full fledged movie ... apparently with some awesome CGI included.

It is like reliving some of your RL experiences again while watching a movie which replicates the surroundings you once walked in... How about Avatar ... but this time looking from your own 3D memories...

As stated, this surpasses by far the usual game to movie translation, at least for those who adventured in Azeroth during the best years of their lives.

Whenever I see my 3D avatar's statue (FigurePrints) on my desk, it brings back all those adventure memories with friends and familiy. I guess the same would apply to seeing it in a big movie.

It ALL depends if they grab the Azeroth setting, but frankly their in game computer assisted movies are extremely promissing already.

-----------

That would be the joke : Warcraft, the best interactive inspired movie ever made. Instead of watching a movie from a book you read (LOTRO, BATMAN, SPIDERMAN, SUPERMAN...) you actually will watch a movie from an alternate reality YOU already walked, adventured and lived in with friends...

Oh look, that's the throne room, that's Stormwind's Cathedral, we organised a wedding in ...
    How about that for a change ? I can feel the fear of WoW hate trolls already...

I still remember walking into some of these places for the first time and struggled to stay alive with friends, if they can reproduce just a few of these settings, the drooling and personal memories will be all over the place.

Next step: play full 3D adventures in Azeroth with interactive helmet (Oculus VR) within 5 years.

Azeroth the 3D place to visit for the next century. Both in movies as on line.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-07-28 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post

You simply have no clue at all, ... as usual. This MMORPG based movie will be all about the SETTING of Azeroth. That's the big ACE of this movie: let people remember how THEY played (lived?) in it for years. A big star would immediately destroy this memory.
    I have no clue? Yeah when has a big movie star ever got people to go see a movie.

You just don't get it... as usual. To you WoW is some sort of God where everyone in the world has heard of it. Here is a news flash. It is just a video game. All the horse shit you typed is irrelevant. They have you hooked. Anyone who playes the game will be hooked. You may want to crack one off while walking around Movie Azeroth but you will go an see it aways. It is the billions of people around the world that have never heard of Warcraft they have to get to go and see it. That is where i big star comes in.

Unlike you calling people haters.... as usual. I will wait till is see the fucking thing before i pass judgment. You seem to think it will be the best thing since sliced bread before even seeing a clip lol.

Who dares to say Paula Patton is not known.. didn't you guys heard about all the Robin Thicke drama news that he just released a complete album talking about her? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Brummiehorde View Post
    Its gonna be a 'Fuck You Its January' movie where its buried with the rest of the crap in the worst month for movie releases LOL

But in all seriousness it has to suck pretty bad not to get a summer blockbuster release
    Thats my thinking.

It's not put in a release for summer and it's not a special holiday release to gain some "Out of school" ticket sales.

I'm thinking a warcraft movie like most game movies are niche markets and barely scrap by for the most part.

I expect this to become another Dungeons and dragons or Dungeon Siege. Nothing more than a movie you wit to watch on netflix for TV at 1am when you can't sleep.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    I have no clue? Yeah when has a big movie star ever got people to go see a movie.
    You say this as if the mere presence of a star guarantees a films success. I'd suggest a look at the Forbes article
    "The Myth Of Brad Pitt". Many very commercially successful films had no stars. Academic opinion is divided between
    those who think it makes no difference and those who thinks it makes a little difference.

Personally, I think it makes a little. Brad Pitt fans will go and see whatever crap he is in. But there aren't many of them
    relative to the general public.

I'm more likely to go and see the WC film if it doesn't have any stars in. I don't really want to see Robert Downey Jnr's
    shit-eating grin. The general public generally go and see anything with monsters and special effects in. I suspect Blizzard
    know this and didn't want to waste money on a big name that would demand a ridiculous fee for a relatively minor financial
    contribution.

You just don't get it... as usual. To you WoW is some sort of God where everyone in the world has heard of it. Here is a news flash. It is just a video game. All the horse shit you typed is irrelevant. They have you hooked. Anyone who playes the game will be hooked. You may want to crack one off while walking around Movie Azeroth but you will go an see it aways. It is the billions of people around the world that have never heard of Warcraft they have to get to go and see it. That is where i big star comes in.

Unlike you calling people haters.... as usual. I will wait till is see the fucking thing before i pass judgment. You seem to think it will be the best thing since sliced bread before even seeing a clip lol.
    I didn't even say it will succeed. It needs to be good. But WOW (not Warcraft) is not "just another video game..." It is a full blown 3D world where millions of people PAID to adventure in for YEARS of their lives with friends and relatives.

And if it is any good, people will be reminded how THEY walked and rode around in Azeroth and the big places like Stormwind... it will be a first EVER: a full 3D MMO world where you lived/played with other players will be transformed into a movie.

100 million accounts created. Take the families playing with ONE account and the MASSIVE interest is already there. No need to include billions. Ex players and their families is already more than enough to generate a few 100 million dollars in grossings.

Lord of the Rings sold 150 million books over 7 decades... WOW had 100 million accounts over 9 years. Everyone heard about it.

Something better than making a movie from a book even as your adventures in Azeroth are still burned on your mental hard disks...

No need to be frustrated because you were again taken by surprise: a BIG name like Willis of Clooney entering Stormwind would be hilarious. The whole room would laugh. So no "big" stars even needed in such a fantasy based movie.

But the mere fact a full 3D open world MMO will be the background for a movie could be an incredible success, IF done well.

Avatar, but this time with the spectator now feeling he adventured in that same world as an (ex) WoW player.

Awesome possibilities. Azeroth will be the Star of this movie. And you will feel your avatars' adventures.

No Clooney needed.... and certainly not the opinion of Deadite.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-07-28 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    You say this as if the mere presence of a star guarantees a films success.....

....I'm more likely to go and see the WC film if it doesn't have any stars in.
    I never said it would. What harm would it do tho? If Brad Pitt can get bums on seats that is what it is all about. You would go see the film if it did or did not have a big star in wouldn't you? You are the target audience. Being about Warcraft is enough for you. It is everyone else who has never heard of Warcraft the have to lure in.

Big flashy CGI is not enough to get Joe Average to go and see it. Take a peek at how well Green Lantern or John Carter on Mars did. There is a whole slew of stinkers with great CGI that stank up the box office. I hope it does well but saying it is the best thing ever before even seeing a clip is just as absurd as saying it will be a piece of shit.

- - - Updated - - -

You sound like a raving lunatic. I have absolutely no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have faith in the end product.

After all, Blizzard told Uwe Boll to fuck off when he wanted to take on the project because they feared it would tarnish the franchise and the company so it's at least better than the Dungeon Siege adaptations!
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Im glad that theres not many known actors in the movie. Often times you get this picture of a actor from another movie/show and you really cant immerse yourself in the new role the actor has. Of course this does not apply to every actor, but it happens alot.

Breaking Bad had alot of unknown actors even though they had the chance to pick top known actors, and that turned out great.
    Follow me on twitter @crusadernero
    Nero - Human Retribution Paladin on Burning Blade EU.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Thats my thinking.

It's not put in a release for summer and it's not a special holiday release to gain some "Out of school" ticket sales.

I'm thinking a warcraft movie like most game movies are niche markets and barely scrap by for the most part.

I expect this to become another Dungeons and dragons or Dungeon Siege. Nothing more than a movie you wit to watch on netflix for TV at 1am when you can't sleep.
    Those 2 movies were not based on a full 3D MMORPG where many many millions of players PAID to spend a few years of their lives in and spend countless time with friends and families to adventure in... Those images are STILL burned in their minds.

That's something completely different than a paper RPG or a simple dungeon crawler.

A movie about Diablo or Mario would be "just another movie based on a video game". But WOW with its open world MMORPG and countless on line memories is a complete different beast.

Actually I would be very surprised if there would not be 30 million world wide visitors for the price of not even one subscription month.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-07-28 at 08:37 PM.

cgi quality won't be the downfall of this movie, the actors are up and coming mixed with veterans and that is how a new movie IP should be introduced. If this movie sucks it's gonna be the same reason why many blockbuster hollywood movie sucks and that is shitty script, uneven pacing, tone/mood problems, screenplay

A movie about Diablo or Mario would be "just another movie based on a video game". But WOW with its open world MMORPG and countless on line memories is a complete different beast.
    Yean but no one cares about that unless you have played the game. To other billions of paying film goers that have never even heard of WoW it will be either a 'Video game film' or a 'fantasy film'. My only point in this thread was it could not hurt to have a few big names in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda11 View Post
    cgi quality won't be the downfall of this movie, the actors are up and coming mixed with veterans and that is how a new movie IP should be introduced. If this movie sucks it's gonna be the same reason why many blockbuster hollywood movie sucks and that is shitty script, uneven pacing, tone/mood problems, screenplay
    Of course, present day technology permits the mixing of both techniques perfectly. Watch movies like the recent Planet of the Apes (prologues), of course these monkeys don't exist they are simply computer generated and acted by humans.

According to what people already saw from the trailer, it will be the exact same thing in Warcraft.

CGI constructed Stormwind will be the cause of huge dropping of jaws with wet drooling all over the place (IF done well).

A pure CGI doesn't work, but a sound mix of real shooting and CGI monsters and scenery is what modern movies make great.

Warcraft has had Multi millions of subscribers over this decade. Anyone who paid and played it for any decent time... will want to have a look at it in cinemas.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-07-28 at 08:48 PM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yean but no one cares about that unless you have played the game. To other billions of paying film goers that have never even heard of WoW it will be either a 'Video game film' or a 'fantasy film'. My only point in this thread was it could not hurt to have a few big names in it.
    Starring Christopher Walken as Lothar!
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Unknowns make the best fantasy movies. You don't know them so you have no expectation of their characters. A listers work best for established characters. Iron Man, Batman etc. Look at all great fantasy franchises mostly unknowns. Star Wars, Star Trek, LoTR, Conan, Mad Max etc. Hell take Fast and Furious for example created careers for Diesel and Paul Walker. Trust in the unknowns for a franchise like WoW.

Great acting won't make a movie like this successful, it'll help, but telling a fun, exciting story in a new fantasy setting (for most) will make or break the WoW movie.

Also, cool looking villian is always a winner in films like this.

Pff this guy still doesn't get it.

WOW is a full 3D MMORPG where many DOZENS of millions PAID and PLAYED in it for the better part of their years.

That's not niche, that's a potential of 30-50 million people who paid to adventure in a full 3D represented world now being transformed into the setting of a movie.

ALL their mutual experiences in Azeroth binded into a motion picture.

That's not a video game transformation, that's a complete NEW experience, nobody ever tried it yet ... how well will people react to see "their" Azeroth, a world they lived in for quite some time of their RL (like 400-600 DAYS played).

That's the deal and that's the challenge, not integrating a Georgey Clooney.

Deleted
    I never said it would. What harm would it do tho? If Brad Pitt can get bums on seats that is what it is all about. You would go see the film if it did or did not have a big star in wouldn't you? You are the target audience. Being about Warcraft is enough for you. It is everyone else who has never heard of Warcraft the have to lure in.

Big flashy CGI is not enough to get Joe Average to go and see it. Take a peek at how well Green Lantern or John Carter on Mars did. There is a whole slew of stinkers with great CGI that stank up the box office. I hope it does well but saying it is the best thing ever before even seeing a clip is just as absurd as saying it will be a piece of shit.
    The same is true for big name stars though. They don't guarantee a god film or even a good turn out in the cinema. Some of Brad Pitt's fans might see the film purely if he's in it, but honestly I don't know anyone who would see a film purely because their favourite actor was in it. An A-lister costs a lot of money to get so you've got to weigh whether the amount of bums that A-lister gets on the seats is going to recoup the costs of hiring them.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    The same is true for big name stars though. They don't guarantee a god film or even a good turn out in the cinema. Some of Brad Pitt's fans might see the film purely if he's in it, but honestly I don't know anyone who would see a film purely because their favourite actor was in it. An A-lister costs a lot of money to get so you've got to weigh whether the amount of bums that A-lister gets on the seats is going to recoup the costs of hiring them.
    Actually like I stated, a "star" would hurt more than an unknown (good) actor. Because the actors need to be very neutral in such a movie. Both for complete strangers to Warcraft and certainly for the vast majority of (ex) WOW players would love to see the movie from a Lore point of view. Players want to see themselves riding in Azeroth...

The moment Brad Pitt would enter Stormwind on his high horse, it would break the immersion instantly for those ex players. People would almost laugh when they choose to do that.

So good decision: more money for the CGI integrated effects, less money for established stars who would fail in representing a credible alternate reality in a Fantasy world like Azeroth.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-07-28 at 09:09 PM.

Will be a commercial success, not sure will be a cult sucess.

I have faith in the Director, he made a awesome movie Moon and a ok one Source Code, but he has no tangible experience in fantasy, the previous movies were for the most part just mind benders