Which MMO Should I Play?

ABOUT ME:

• I am 25 years old and in graduate school.
    • I have a job and a wife, leaving me with ~5-7 hours/day free time.
    • My work/class schedule varies, so raiding is possible but hard.
    • I think PVP in MMORPG's will never be anywhere near balanced. My favorite PVP games are League and Smash Bros.
    • I believe games were meant for fun, not for "getting the next shiny." That doesn't mean I dislike goal-setting and fulfillment (I got my Shado-pan hat and Serpent Riding in MoP no problem.)
    • I genuinely think female Pandaren are sexually attractive and I'm not (usually?!) a furry. Come at me.

I've tried: WoW (constant from Vanilla-Cata), Neverwinter, DCUO, Guild Wars 2, TERA, RIFT, Wildstar, and several more.

My gaming personality: I'm fairly social, although as I get older I find that my teammates seem to be coming off younger to me. I try not to discriminate, but when a 13 year old shows up in my raid, my eyes roll every time. I despise logging in and "having nothing to do." My addiction-like habit of booting up WoW whenever I sit down has been broken, and I don't jump in circles in Org/Shatt/Dal any more. If I catch myself doing that, I log off.

I like action-based combat systems, but I don't mind WoW's or GW2's tab-targeting, either. They're well made and feel good. I refuse to play a spreadsheet or crunch numbers; I'll look at guides to figure out appropriate builds/gear/etc., but I'm not doing math in my spare time! I can grind, but it has to be fun-ish or short-ish.

The most important factor for me is --- and Totalbiscuit would hate me for this --- I need something with "reachability factor." Yes, WoW used to make content for the "top 10% of players" or whatever. Wildstar claims to still be doing that. That's great and all, but not for me. Folks hated the nerfs to Naxx and Lich King, I know, but without them I never would have got to see that content. And I loved that content! I want to see things, be involved in the story, feel useful and powerful. Oh, and my #1 attraction is good game design as evidenced in interesting abilities/kits.

So what do you think guys? Main choices on the table for me right now are WoW, Wildstar, GW2, and DCUO. Should I play one of those? A different MMO? Or, from what I've described here, are MMORPG's simply not for me anymore?

Deleted
    How about you rather ask yourself this: "Do I need to play any MMO?"

I've not personally quit WoW per se, and I've played SW:TOR and now The Elder Scrolls Online as well, but I've long since lost the need to be logged in constantly, and my WoW career has shrunk down to leveling a few guys to max and playing a bit here and there. I personally realized that the biggest reason I was playing WoW was my guild and my friends, and once I left the guild and once my friends disappeared gradually, I find that it's not that important to play that game as actively anymore.

In fact, I'm waiting for the future MMO where the developers realize that creating a game where you can advance either with a raid, a group, a single friend or solo, is the way to go, and that it's all balanced and nobody gets shafted over the way they're playing. I'm pretty much done with this "let's cater to raiders" -bullshit.

MMO's are fucking terrible.

If you played Wow Vanilla to Wrath, you will not find anything remotely close to fun anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    MMO's are fucking terrible.

If you played Wow Vanilla to Wrath, you will not find anything remotely close to fun anymore.
    So true.. I think they're missing the spark because everyone is too afraid of trying anything different. The formula has aged and gone stale though, and then theres that "everyone has to win" mentality.

Deleted
    Imagine an MMO like this:

- One world. One, single realm/server/shard, which is so big that it can easily house all the players, with such server infrastructure and code that there will be no problems housing all those people. Where traveling is a serious choice as it will take time and effort, which is one of the ways of making sure no single part of the game suddenly "explodes" because of lag.

- Very little segregation. You can play either as solo, with one or two friends, in a group of 4-6 people, in a raid of 10-40 people, and always achieve the same level of rewards, and mostly the exact same rewards. You can get that same shiny weapon no matter how you advance. The time and actual, very scientifically calculated level of "effort" put in to playing will be exactly the same, and regardless of what naysayers everywhere will say, that system will actually be made to work. There will be some things that can only be achieved and gotten by raiders, by smaller groups, and some only by going solo, and those things will mostly be mutually exclusive, so if you get the raiding things, you can't get the solo things, and vice versa.

- Play what you want, and all of it is built upon and supported equally. Whether it's PvP in it's multitude of forms, or whether it's being a professional hunter/gatherer, crafter, builder, raider, soldier, whatever. No longer is the game about killing a monster while everyone can craft everything, but you actually choose to become something specific.

- Altoholism is restricted. This would mean that you'd have to reach a specific point in the game in order to create a new character, and that you can't just create characters willy nilly, and you can't have storage characters and crafter characters and all that bullshit, but you actually have to choose what you want to do, and put time into it. Of course there's also a way to change your mind and proceed in another path, but as with in real life, that'll set you back at the beginning in some way or form.

- Different ways of playing and interacting with the game are available. Web browser -based interfaces, apps for phones and tablets, consoles and PC can access the game, and all of that affects the same game.

- Developers are true gamers, or there's a panel of true gamers being employed by the company who work in tandem with the developers. No more games developed by guys who claim to be gamers but who have never wasted 16-20 hours a day playing a game months at a time.

- A few other revolutionary ideas.

And then, finally, imagine that all the people going "well that'll never work" would be dead wrong, and despite what they're saying, it would all work. That's the game I want to play.

Hmm. Ok, here is my assessment of the games I play(ed) in the genre in recent years.

1. Wow: The long standing king, won't be toppled, except by itself. Most people have this as the backbone of their gaming, so they WILL always come back to it, as it has their history, it has their center. It gives you a lot, but end game is either a challenge (anywhere from flex to HM, it's all the same based on your group), PVP, dailies, and completionism.

2. SWTOR: The niche specific MMO, "WoW in space", if you will. Essentially, everything WoW has, except Pet Battles (coming). Add in your own ship and space combat, with a shiny Star Wars skin. The big drawback, if you have a history in Wow, it is a fresh start.

3. Rift: Same as Swtor/WoW, but less cartoony. Many more zone events, always. "Real" housing, compared to the other two (your ship, your apartment, your garrison/farm are not housing in any shape or form).

4. Wildstar: Same basic concept as Wow/Swtor, almost a direct clone of these as far as content, end game, cartoony. Combat system is very unique and challenging (very heavily class based, some are identical to standard MMOS, some vastly different), decent housing.

5. Aion: Rift/Wow/SWTOR clone, kinda pretty but no flow. Ultra grindy, which you do not feel much of in the other games. Nothing extra compared to the others.

Culturally, all of the games are the same. If you pay no mind to the action and just the interaction with the community, there is zero difference between any of them. All of the have the friendlies, the assholes, the guilds.

To sum up, go outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    WoW. Everything else is fucking terrible. I played them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardball View Post
    WoW. Everything else is fucking terrible. I played them all.
    This. I've tried about 5 and nothing even comes close. Just keep playing Wow.