Deleted

Coming back for WoD as fire mage - worth?

Howdy!

I havent been playin for more than a year as I had a whole lot on ma mind. Now Im thinkin bout gettin back in the game.
    I know its far from final what we know bout WoD, but one gotta decide at some point .

So how are mages doing these last months of pandaria and what can we expect from WoD for our beloved class?

Cheers,
    DoubleT

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
    Howdy!

I havent been playin for more than a year as I had a whole lot on ma mind. Now Im thinkin bout gettin back in the game.
    I know its far from final what we know bout WoD, but one gotta decide at some point .

So how are mages doing these last months of pandaria and what can we expect from WoD for our beloved class?

Cheers,
    DoubleT
    For MoP:

Play Destro Warlock until WoD.

Come WoD, Fire is going to be easier to warm up to (pun somewhat intended) than it is now. They are adding some passive crit increases to smooth our RNG, and we get chaingun Pyroblasts for 6 seconds as part of our T17 bonus. Our talent tree has been improved greatly, and really they can't make the class any worse, I would say it would be worth trying out.

I'm unsure if you mean PvE or PvP fire.

PvE fire seems to be in a good place. Crits are still the pivotal events in fire play, for ignite (& combust) and hot streaks, and to that end Blizzard has added some nice crit-enhancing mechanics. Fireballs that dont crit now add an increasing crit % buff until one fireball eventually crits, which you can follow up with an inferno blast for a guaranteed pyro.

PvP, on the other hand, is still too unrefined in beta to tell. Right now fire seems to be either scorch spamming - which is low damage since scorch has no particular crit increases - or fireball turret - which is bad because melee right now seem both unpeelable and interrupt-machines. This will change during beta, but the big underlying problem is the loss of control and setup: we lost shatter, deep freeze, cone of cold and presence of mind. If you're Gameking skill-wise, you'll do fine regardless, but if you're just another average joe, think about going frost.

Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    and really they can't make the class any worse
    Until they make Rune of Power mandatory; that would be worse than forcing Invocation on us XD

In all seriousness, Fire's getting a few nice changes IMO, though personally, Frost and Arcane are getting a lot more nice changes, but that's just me. If you only care about Fire, sure, might as well try it.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    and we get chaingun Pyroblasts for 6 seconds as part of our T17 bonus.
    That's all the convincing I need

(Now I don't have to make almost the exact same thread as OP!)

Try it yourself

Someones opinion doesn't apply to you

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusRaveParty View Post
    That's all the convincing I need

(Now I don't have to make almost the exact same thread as OP!)
    This is gonna make for some crazy lucky parses on warcraftlogs. One fire mage who happens to have trinkets and combustion up when this procs everytime over 6 min fight? Shits gonna be nuts

Deleted
    Yeah Im interested in PvE only, fire used to be lots of fun, just before I quit last year they nerfed combustion to the ground, last thing I remember lol.
    I really dont wanna play arcane, at least not the way it was in cata/mop... But i guess ill see for myself and just give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Leeches View Post
    Try it yourself

Someones opinion doesn't apply to you
    Yes, go ahead and just "try it" on content that isn't released yet and is in closed beta. Kiiiiiiiiiinda hard to do that at this point in time.

Also, they asked for information and that's what we're giving them.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

IMO, Fire is really boring right now. The only thing keeping it moderately engaging during the raid testing is that I'm running with 0 addons, so keeping track of everything (including boss abilities) is a pain, and using PC as Fire is really obnoxious with it's stupid auto targeting. Once stuff like TMW/DBM is available, spec is gonna be far too simple.