Deleted

Fel Flame just prior to trinkets/DS running out?

If a trinket proc or Dark Soul had too little time left for an Incinerate cast, would it be a DPS gain to cast Fel Flame instead?

Depends a bit on gear here but i would say yes for int proc and no for DS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchlock View Post
    Depends a bit on gear here but i would say yes for int proc and no for DS.
    Why is that? If anything, I would imagine doing it during DS would provide a bigger gain, as Fel Flame's strength lies in its Ember generation (which is doubled on crit) moreso than its damage.

Deleted
    well, if you have conflag on cd as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    well, if you have conflag on cd as well.
    And if there are no other buffs up that will expire soon, in which case a Chaos Bolt or an Immolate would likely take priority, and so on. Solely talking about Incinerate vs. Fel Flame.

yes it would be, but it would be so minimal as to be unnoticable as it's a very edge case that will occur 1-2 times per fight max, and the damge delta for 1 or 2 spells just isn't that significant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Turturin the Warlock View Post
    yes it would be, but it would be so minimal as to be unnoticable as it's a very edge case that will occur 1-2 times per fight max, and the damge delta for 1 or 2 spells just isn't that significant.
    In what case would it be worth it? Only with DS, or would trinket procs (KTT N/PBoI N specifically) make it worthwhile as well?
    And it definitely happens more than once or twice a fight.

I'd say it's not worth it in the big picture because if you're concentrating so hard on minmaxing that extra 50 DPS then you're probably going to fuck up something else which is going to cost you 50x as much DPS. If you're the greatest player in the world and never make rotational mistakes (IE, no one) then sure you can do this for a MINOR damage gain but for everyone else if you add this in to something you need to think about then you're probably going to mess something else up in doing so.

Deleted
    Because it is a relatively small gain (if one at all, no one has provided any evidence), it would obviously not be worth stressing over (i.e. trying to do every time), in part because of the reason you stated. Yet I still find myself in this situation often and almost instinctively cast Fel Flame, and therefore I would like to know if doing so would be a gain or a loss.
    Last edited by mmocec95b0aeea; 2014-07-25 at 05:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    I'd say it's not worth it in the big picture because if you're concentrating so hard on minmaxing that extra 50 DPS then you're probably going to fuck up something else which is going to cost you 50x as much DPS. If you're the greatest player in the world and never make rotational mistakes (IE, no one) then sure you can do this for a MINOR damage gain but for everyone else if you add this in to something you need to think about then you're probably going to mess something else up in doing so.
    100% right, it is worth it to cast fel flame with PboI and KTT if they are both about to end and conflagrate is on CD but you would have to take mana into consideration (I.E. you are on zero embers and are going to be spamming incinerate for a while so will go omm). A situation were PBoI and KTT are ending at the same time with conflagrate on CD and you have 2+ embers just doesn't happen. The only fights where I have played perfectly are jugg and malk I mean on my rank 1 garrosh kill (that lasted for all of one day, dam you Syveex and your 13% tricks uptime) I made several mistakes, it's just not worth bothering about 30k extra damage that happens only a few time over multiple kills.
    Last edited by mmoce17ce7b114; 2014-07-25 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evela View Post
    Yet I still find myself in this situation often and almost instinctively cast Fel Flame, and therefore I would like to know if doing so would be a gain or a loss.
    With 1 trinket proc, no, the spell power scaling of Fel Flame is much worse than Incinerate so you'd still do more damage with an unbuffed Incinerate. With 2 trinkets Fel flame will come out slightly ahead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    With 1 trinket proc, no, the spell power scaling of Fel Flame is much worse than Incinerate so you'd still do more damage with an unbuffed Incinerate. With 2 trinkets Fel flame will come out slightly ahead.
    And how would it do with Dark Soul alone? The extra Ember gain is far from negligible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel with Dark Soul alone while you can get 2 Fel flames off in the time you would probably cast an un-hasted Incinerate (no backdraft no legendary meta proc low haste)the incinerate would probably be worth it if you have the option to stand still.