Expertise for Boomkin?

I was looking at some boomkin guides to refresh my memory of stat weights and gemming and so forth, and one of the sites had a gem with expertise on it among recommended gems. I could just be getting worked up over an error, but I want to make sure. Does expertise have any benefit for balance that I'm not aware of?

10+ Year Old Account
    Expertise is for parry/dodge. Since spells can't parry or dodge, I don't see how it's a viable option for boomkins. I haven't played since 4.3, so idk if boomkins have some melee ability, but from what I know, boomkins don't need expertise. It's likely an error.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Expertise also gives spell hit

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Expertise is for parry/dodge. Since spells can't parry or dodge, I don't see how it's a viable option for boomkins. I haven't played since 4.3, so idk if boomkins have some melee ability, but from what I know, boomkins don't need expertise. It's likely an error.
    i wouldn't reply to WoW related questions when you haven't played in 2 years.

exp = hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    It only really comes into play through gems or reforge since there's no expertise on actual caster gear, but it was made as an option for casters. Expertise gives hit% for casters at the exact same rating conversion as hit rating does.

It's useful if you are in low gear and BADLY need hit, because you can reforge a hit/something item into a hit/expertise item for extra spell hit chance, or you can gem hit+expertise gems if you want to cover it in fewer gem slots. Or sometimes if you need the hit and you have an odd gem slot colour maybe an Expertise+Something gem fits the colours better and is a DPS increase.

Oh, cool, I had no idea it also gave spell hit! Thanks for the speedy replies, people.

For moonkins, it's basically only relevant for gems, spirit is a better option for reforging, although the difference is minor.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    It's been said, but needs to be said again - if you haven't played in two years, please don't answer gameplay questions.

Expertise = spell hit for casters. Every day I am surprised how many don't know this.

Something people haven't mentioned so far, since all secondary stats are stronger than int when compared 2:1 (normal gem values) a 160 Crit 160 Exp gem is actually stronger than a 160 Crit 80 Int gem is, so if you can get them into red sockets without going over the cap then they are actually the best gems to use. Either way you should probably use use AMR to handle optimal gemming/enchants/reforging.

True, although expertise in this case wouldn't be better than Int if you're above hitcap. Just yesterday I reached the gearing point where I can reforge away ALL spirit/hit and not gem for either and still reach the cap! \o/

Quote Originally Posted by The Boomking View Post
    True, although expertise in this case wouldn't be better than Int if you're above hitcap. Just yesterday I reached the gearing point where I can reforge away ALL spirit/hit and not gem for either and still reach the cap! \o/
    Then comes the annoying point where you can reforge away all hit and still be overcapped. Ugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by emidas View Post
    It's been said, but needs to be said again - if you haven't played in two years, please don't answer gameplay questions.

Expertise = spell hit for casters. Every day I am surprised how many don't know this.
    It's only been that way in MoP...
    More strange is, there are still people, who INSISTS Spirit is a healer only stat, which haven't been true for 2 whole expansions..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    More strange is, there are still people, who INSISTS Spirit is a healer only stat, which haven't been true for 2 whole expansions..
    And by now, it's easier to fix the issue by just waiting for 6.0 making their claim true.

Deleted
    I've seen some boomies go for a little expertise in PvP to help land bashes in arena but idk if this is any help to you

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    Something people haven't mentioned so far, since all secondary stats are stronger than int when compared 2:1 (normal gem values) a 160 Crit 160 Exp gem is actually stronger than a 160 Crit 80 Int gem is, so if you can get them into red sockets without going over the cap then they are actually the best gems to use. Either way you should probably use use AMR to handle optimal gemming/enchants/reforging.
    Good to know... AMR had me switch in like 10 Exp/Crit gems and I was really confused for a moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Spirit was never a healer-only stat until Cataclysm actually, and they gave hybrids spirit to spell-hit talents. Only Priest and Druid healers used Spirit prior to Cataclysm anyway. Mages used Spirit til Cata, all dps casters used Spirit in some way in WotLK.