Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I do not think christians read the bible, or else they wouldnt say these things

I have recently read the bible cover to cover, and I have to say, I was shocked. Most of the things the mainstream media says are oposite to the things written in the bible.
    here are just a few from the old testament, that I have found to contradict themselves with the views of most day to day christians.

Morality is from God

Many times in the bible I was wondering WTF are the jews doing. One of the instances is when they sack the city of Jericho and kill everebody inside plus the live stock. That means every single child, woman, baby old man and old woman.

In the bible there is nothing said about Jericho. But the people who read this passage say that the city was wicked.
    Ok so imagine you were a jew back then.

You enter a house, sword in hand and in front of you there is a mother with a baby in her arms pressed up against a wall, crying. Her three children are behind her, scared and looking at you in horror as your sword is drenched in the blood of their own grandfather.
    You now have to plunge your sword into the babys skull, slash their mothers throat, and butcher them as well in order to do Gods will.
    The whole story feels actually sick if you think about it. Yet christians even make songs for children about the walls of Jericho.

Now this is Gods morality. But If i was there i probably wouldnt be able to do it. It just seems wrong to me to cut down defensless children and kill babies.

2.God doesn't affect free will.

God does affect free will several times in the bible. It starts in egypt where God hardens the pharoh's heart in order for him not to let the hebrews goe for 3 days and pray into the woods. Also, note that I've said for 3 days and not for ever as it is usually told in bible school. God doesn't care that they were slaves, he was mostly upset that they were too busy slaving that they couldn't worship him.

At the end of the story he also makes all the egyptian incredibly nice, as they give the hebrews whatever they want before leaving if they just ask for it. So after they loose their first son, they give their jewelry, their gold and silver and food to any hebrew that asks nicely for it.

He also hardens the heart of the entire egyptian army, making them cross the split red sea rather then to turn around and run at the sight of the sea being split in two and leading them to their deaths.

There are several more cases where god does mess with free will, but i've thought these are the most painfully obvious ones.

3. God doesn't change his mind and doesn't alter his plan.

Moises made God change his mind three times. Usually after the jews would do something against God, he would say that he wants to kill them all for their transgerssions.
    Moises would talk god out of it, saying "what would the egyptians think? They would be laughing at you if they knew you brought us to the desert to kill us all". And then God would calm down.

4. Mariadge is between a man and a woman and is sacred.

Plenty of times in the bible a man would marry more then one woman. At one point there is even a law claiming on how to treat the first wife after you've got a second.
    Furthermore mariadge between cousins is allowed in the bible.

Jacob arrives at his uncle's home. He falls in love with his cousin Rebekah. He makes a deal with his uncle, that he will be allowed to marry Rebekah if he works the field for 7 years. After 7 years, he unknowingly marries his other cousin Leah. He finds this out after having sex with her the entire night. Then he works the field again for 7 more years, and is finally allowed to marry Rebekah as well.

Rebekah and Leah then have a vaginal war with who can give him most sons. But since rebekah was barren, she lets him do a slaves of her that gives him son instead.
    Leah falling behind gives Jacob her slave as well to make him more kids.
    This is just one of the stories, but in the old testament its not uncommon for a man to have 2 wives or to do one of the wives slaves with the consent of the wife.

5. Abortion

Pro lifers constantly use the bible as an argument against abortion. While i am sure there are resonable arguments on both sides. religion is not one of them. Not once in the bible has the word abortion been used. And by the law given from God, it seems that he doesn't really care about fetuses that much.

If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life. -- Exodus 21:22-23

So basicaly life for life is given only if the woman dies.

The priest shall say unto the woman, The LORD make thee a curse and an oath among thy people, when the LORD doth make thy thigh to rot, and thy belly to swell. And this water that causeth the curse shall go into thy bowels, to make thy belly to swell, and thy thigh to rot: And the woman shall say, Amen, amen. ...
    And when he hath made her to drink the water, then it shall come to pass, that, if she be defiled, and have done trespass against her husband, that the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter, and her belly shall swell, and her thigh shall rot: and the woman shall be a curse among her people. And if the woman be not defiled, but be clean; then she shall be free, and shall conceive seed. -- Numbers 5:21-21, 27-28

Forget rape, just cheating on your husband is worthy of castration and abortion.

The priest shall say unto the woman, The LORD make thee a curse and an oath among thy people, when the LORD doth make thy thigh to rot, and thy belly to swell. And this water that causeth the curse shall go into thy bowels, to make thy belly to swell, and thy thigh to rot: And the woman shall say, Amen, amen. ...
    And when he hath made her to drink the water, then it shall come to pass, that, if she be defiled, and have done trespass against her husband, that the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter, and her belly shall swell, and her thigh shall rot: and the woman shall be a curse among her people. And if the woman be not defiled, but be clean; then she shall be free, and shall conceive seed. -- Numbers 5:21-21, 27-28

6. God is omnipotent

His criptonite is iron aparantely. "And the LORD was with Judah; and he drove out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron - Judges 1:19

Now people say the lord isnt weak, but Judah is. Fair enough. But it clearely implies he had God on his side the whole time. And because of that he beat everebody except the guys in the valley. He couldnt beat the ones in the valley, not because God has forsaken him or didnt want him to. He didnt beat him even with gods help because they had iron chariots.

7 God aknowledges the existance of other gods
    Jeremiah 46:25 The LORD God of Israel who rules over all says, "I will punish Amon, the god of Thebes. I will punish Egypt, its gods, and its kings. I will punish Pharaoh and all who trust in him.

So what he is saying is, that there are other gods. But he is the most powerfull god.

Now why would the creator of the universe create other minor gods?

8.God is about love

Not in the old testament. In fact people worshiped him because they were scared shitless of him. He also doesnt care if people love him, he just wants them to worship him and no other gods. The word "fear thy god" is a constant motif in the bible. Only in the new testament does Jesus comes and talks about love. But he puts a 100% spin on God, that is really not conclusive to the stories of the old testament.

9.The 10 commandments that are written in most americans courts arent the actual 10 commandments

When moise's comes down the mountain and he sees his people worshiping a golden calf, he smashes the 10 commandments. He then orders his people to kill thousands of jews and then god sends a plague on the surviving ones as well.
    Moises then goes back on the mountain and gets 10 NEW COMANDMENTS.
    these are the ones that are put in the ark of the covenant and the ones the jewish people (in the bible consider to be the actual comandments)

ive found them on the internet rather then flooding this page
    http://christianity.stackexchange.co...ents-different

Infracted. We do not allow religious discussion of any kind on this forum.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2014-07-26 at 12:36 PM.

TL/DR- The old testament is insane and makes no sense at all.

Deleted
    This just in, people take passages from religious texts without context to further there own agenda.

And yeah, the Old Testamant is actually pretty entertaining, but most "modern day" Christians follow the New Testament.

Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post
    I have recently read the bible cover to cover, and I have to say, I was shocked. Most of the things the mainstream media says are oposite to the things written in the bible.
    here are just a few from the old testament, that I have found to contradict themselves with the views of most day to day christians.
    That's the decisive part. Many modern day christians have accepted the explanation that everything before Jesus was moot, so they don't have to follow it.
    They generally also cherry-pick from the Bible, ignoring the unreasonable parts, but at least claiming to follow the others.
    Which is a good thing, considering how terrible it is to follow a book that's so insanely obsolete, but also a bad thing because some of them are trying to impose these views on others, completely ignoring the fact that they're contradictory.

Best choice would probably be to update the Bible to be in line with modern civilization, but that won't happen since the Bible is considered to be "the word of God", so meh.

Many Christians believe that the New Testament fulfilled and essentially *replaced* the Old Testament. They don't think the Old Testament applies anymore.

Then there are Christians that believe the Old Testament still applies, but delusion (see psychological definition) helps them sleep at night.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I think you have the same issue they have except in your case it is not reading the forum rules

Deleted
    The problem with religion is that there's no actual god there to delegate his followers. So the void is filled by people, said people looking to advance their own agendas.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread can only go good places.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

They will just say you are misinterpreting things or taking them out of context.. Even though many of the horrible things are very clearly worded and defined.

-snip-
    "I do not think christians read the bible, or else they wouldnt say these things"

Are you for real? If that's true then we'd have to kill every muslim in the world, because in Quoran there is a text about how Muhamad is saying that everyone who do not believe in Allah should be killed.

Do I see everyone killing Muslims? NO.
    Do I see every muslim killing other non-believers? NO.

Just because someone believes in the God from the Bible doesn't mean that they'll act like people from the Old Testament, time is changing and we(Christians) are trying to fit in the modern times. Religions are evolving( ) in their own way. Just because we believe in the God it doesn't mean that we don't believe in evolution or other things which were against Church in the medieval times. Sometimes people are too stupid to understand that...

Quote Originally Posted by UniBlue View Post
    The problem with religion is that there's no actual god there to delegate his followers. So the void is filled by people, said people looking to advance their own agendas.
    You must be the smartest living being in the whole Universe.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2014-07-26 at 10:03 AM.

Christianity is a funny thing, God's ethos is total freedom from sin, and forgiveness that you don't earn, but was given to you freely, when yo'ure saved from dsisater in the manner that God has done//offered in someone else taking the punishment from God for your sin, well the reaction should be a gratitude that really encourages you and builds a desire to live clean - especially sine you know what you were saved from and how much it cost Jesus who saved you.

This is one of the most powerful demonstrations of how mcuh God loves you, and when you really know that and believe that it really empowers you to connect with God in an incredible way.

but we encounter many issues to this in society, people for starters call themselves Christains without even knowing God or encountering Him in this wya, and are only such in name by their own standards or what some institution recognises. What people who don't believe in God do not realize is that just because a church group calls a person Christain does not mean that God does, God has clearly defined he conidtion for coming into His family, you got to trust in/rely on/adhere too strongly in belief of Him.. when you believe what I've summarized above about JEsus, and about God's love, it stirs a change in you and demands a response.

so people living withotu that sort of response aren't relaly Christains and don't really believe. They think believe in God means believe God exists, it's a whole lot more than just believing God exists, Even the demons believe God exists and tremble.

Furthermore, humans make mistakes, even those who really do bleieve, the problem is people tend to judge people only on their actions too, so they'll call out your one mistake and condemn you for it, rather than see your heart or show mercy. God does not, God looks at the herat, you're not righteous or Christian based on what you do, this really is torublesome to the rleigous mindset of the world, and yes youc an have a religious mindset without beliving in a religion, it is the opposite mindset to God's freedom.

In the west we have a lot of Christians having a cushy time, they can live off the support of man and don't have to rely on God for day to day survival, but the Just shall live by faith, the type of life God calls us too, requires litearlly living by faith, especially the person who has needs like house/job/food/clothing/transport etc met well, should be empowered to be living by faith to be fighting the evil of the day around him - from exploitation, to murder including murder of the unborn, human trafficking & slavery, greed, corruption, false truths etc, media manipulation..but instead most don't turn their affections to the Lord, and rather wwatch tv, go to parties, gym their bodies up, focus on their career which for a lot is simply to make money so that they can live more comfortably.

This is not the life of a believer Jesus outlines in Matthew 5-7 , does that make those people Christians? "i go to church eveyr Sunday" - religious activity like church going, or praying doesn't make you a Christian, if you go to thiese places and do these things but do not engage with God's heart do not surrender your will, and your thinking too, then you're really not living a part of this kingdom lifestyle.

A lot less people are actually Christian than they think they are, and a lot of Western Christains are infants, they've been infant christians for most of their lives, 40 years and grey hairs does not mean you're living and obeying.

There is a way to be, and we are commanded to Love God with all our heart, all our soul, all our mind and all our strength. Think on what that means for the decisions we make, the activities we engage in, andd how we approach God Himself. Truth is many people love money, children, ambition, self, careers, sports, entertainment, games, movies, food, beach style living a whole lot more than they love God... that is not a grateful heart, that's is not a person that really understands or recognizes what incredible lengths God has gone to both to make them and also redeem them, cos if they did, they'd live differently, act differently, and would look a lot more like Jesus in actions that backed up Jesus' words.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    This just in, people take passages from religious texts without context to further there own agenda.
    It's worth nothing that while some people say Hitler was influenced in his actions by the bible, and he killed about 6 million people... Mao Zedong was influenced by Karl Marx and killed about 45 million people... so...

Seems people can be negatively influenced by a lot of things.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I think you have the same issue they have except in your case it is not reading the forum rules
    AWWW NO. It's a stupid rule and he should break it. It's positively ridiculous that virtually any subject is allowed except discussion surrounding the ever-important issue of mass delusion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    AWWW NO. It's a stupid rule and he should break it. It's positively ridiculous that virtually any subject is allowed except discussion surrounding the ever-important issue of mass delusion.
    It is not a stupid rule simply cos trying non-believers and believers to generally agree on religious issues are impossible. These threads only do circles of jabs back and forth from both sides.
    Bringing up religion when it is in context lets say Israel-Palestine, abortion is allowed depending on context and intention, threads like this simply wont go anyplace. I know from 6 years of MMO experience that the rules are sane in this case.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2014-07-26 at 10:06 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Just because someone believes in the God from the Bible doesn't mean that they'll act like people from the Old Testament, time is changing and we(Christians) are trying to fit in the modern times. Religions are evolving( ) in their own way. Just because we believe in the God it doesn't mean that we don't believe in evolution or other things which were against Church in the medieval times. Sometimes people are too stupid to understand that...
    Its refreshing to see people with faith who are willing and able to learn new beliefs. Internet kudos to you. The vocal faction amongst Christians in particular seem to be set in their ways and very adamant about their beliefs.

well the main stream media is largely secular so I don't see why it's surprising that isn't different.

also you can't just read it once and think you understand it, since from your first lines you're already confusing judaism with protestant christianity which basically have nothing in common.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    It is not a stupid rule simply cos trying non-believers and believers to generally agree is impossible. These threads only do circles of jabs back and forth from both sides.
    Bringing up religion when it is in context lets say Israel-Palestine, abortion is allowed depending on context and intention, threads like this simply wont go anyplace. I know from 6 years of MMO experience that the rules are sane in this case.
    Well if you have so much experience; are you honestly going to tell me that no discussion that was interesting, meaningful was ever stopped by a mod arbitrarily shutting it down so some religious nut wouldn't have their "special feelings" hurt? It's censorship, it's wrong and it's completely exclusive to religion.

The only religion I've seen actually use the bible and not some other book are Jehovah's Witnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    The only religion I've seen actually use the bible and not some other book are Jehovah's Witnesses.
    And they're batshit crazy

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Well if you have so much experience; are you honestly going to tell me that no discussion that was interesting, meaningful was ever stopped by a mod arbitrarily shutting it down so some religious nut wouldn't have their "special feelings" hurt? It's censorship, it's wrong and it's completely exclusive to religion.
    All of them had parts that were polite and interesting what they also all have in common is within a handfull of pages they went into the litter as being a boxing ring