Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Talking Need help with my PC temperatures!

Hey all!

So recently I bought a new gaming rig and I'm more than happy with it! Thing is, though... I've been monitoring my pc's temperatures with HWMonitor and one of the temperatures (TMPIN1) says 45 degrees idle and up to 88-90 degrees on hot days while playing Wildstar and Guild Wars 2 (around 28-35 degrees outside)! Do note that I'm playing in my attic room.
    Now, I have been searching for this TMPIN1 meaning, as I'm completely clueless what TMPIN1's meaning is and I found out it's my CPU being so hot.
    I have an AMD Vishera FX- 8320 eigh-core CPU installed in there and after some searching on the internet I still couldn't find out whether that temperature is too high or not.

So do you guys have any clue whether this a good temperature for my CPU or not?

Thanks in advance!
    How do I live without the ones I love?
    Time still turns the pages of the book it's burned
    Place and time always on my mind
    I have so much to say, but you're so far away!
    R.I.P. Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan, you'll be missed!

Deleted
    What kind of cooler do you use? and what kind of case you have?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckeTv View Post
    What kind of cooler do you use? and what kind of case you have?
    Cooler: Cooler Master TX3 evo
    Case: Cooler Master K-380 Advanced

Deleted
    Maybe reapply cooling paste, or it might be the airflow, or whats might be the biggest thing is that your program is saying that its so hot but it actualy isnt, i had the same problem, i have my 2 titans and cpu water cooled and the program once said 45 degree wich is totaly wrong and then i got another program and it said 16 degree idle, so i recommend trying AIDA64 you test it for a month and if you like it you buy a key or else just deinstall=)

Greetings

What's your clock speed and where did you buy this?
    Last edited by hakujinbakasama; 2014-07-26 at 12:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckeTv View Post
    Maybe reapply cooling paste, or it might be the airflow, or whats might be the biggest thing is that your program is saying that its so hot but it actualy isnt, i had the same problem, i have my 2 titans and cpu water cooled and the program once said 45 degree wich is totaly wrong and then i got another program and it said 16 degree idle, so i recommend trying AIDA64 you test it for a month and if you like it you buy a key or else just deinstall=)

Greetings
    Thanks for your tip, I will definitely try that out!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    What's your clock speed and where did you buy this?
    it's indeed 45 degrees celsius. I haven't overclocked anything, so the current clock speed is 3.50GHZ.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Summer .. You wont be running cool temps this time of the year. I'm used to 20-22 c ambient.
    Currently though it's 35c in norway, and it's probably hotter in my room, you can guess 38-40.
    Give or take double the ambient temperatures I usually have.. My CPU is relatively cool, it's not
    what it uses to be with up to 25 in ambient temps however it's still doing good, 55-60c in gaming
    non clocked. Which is about 10-15 more than usual. It should sit at 40-42 and the fan? It should
    be 1/4th of the current noise...

That coolermaster isn't anything super.. However, check these...

a) new paste? It's safe to assume that you need to change it whenever temps suddenly get too high after a while, even if you need to clean dust of your cpu due to long time use and some places might be hard to clean.
    b) check out the bios, if you maybe have checked it to not run at more than x rpm
    c) Where did you put your fan from the CPU cooler? Motherboard? PSU? Maybe you put it on the "fan1" or rather than "cpu" or maybe it's a pin 4 on a pin 3?
    d) Get a new fan if the fan isn't blowing enough air, add a few fans to the pc, exhausts and inhalers. Check our different types of airflows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Summer .. You wont be running cool temps this time of the year. I'm used to 20-22 c ambient.
    Currently though it's 35c in norway, and it's probably hotter in my room, you can guess 38-40.
    Give or take double the ambient temperatures I usually have.. My CPU is relatively cool, it's not
    what it uses to be with up to 25 in ambient temps however it's still doing good, 55-60c in gaming
    non clocked. Which is about 10-15 more than usual. It should sit at 40-42 and the fan? It should
    be 1/4th of the current noise...

That coolermaster isn't anything super.. However, check these...

a) new paste? It's safe to assume that you need to change it whenever temps suddenly get too high after a while, even if you need to clean dust of your cpu due to long time use and some places might be hard to clean.
    b) check out the bios, if you maybe have checked it to not run at more than x rpm
    c) Where did you put your fan from the CPU cooler? Motherboard? PSU? Maybe you put it on the "fan1" or rather than "cpu" or maybe it's a pin 4 on a pin 3?
    d) Get a new fan if the fan isn't blowing enough air, add a few fans to the pc, exhausts and inhalers. Check our different types of airflows.
    Thanks for the amazing reply, but sadly I haven't built my computer myself. I just choose the components off of a gamepc related website (guys who know what they're doing), so I can't really tell you stuff like fan placement and paste (I'm also kinda clueless about pc building in general).
    Last edited by Sylvorian; 2014-07-26 at 01:29 PM.

AMD safe temps are about 60 degrees IIRC as well.

If the fan is spinning, it's most likely a problem with thermal paste. You should open your case, pull off your motherboard, get the cooler off, remove any leftover paste and reapply some.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Are you, by any chance, running an MSI motherboard?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Are you, by any chance, running an MSI motherboard?
    As a matter of fact, I am... why's that?

I run a MSI 760GA- P43.

10+ Year Old Account
    Things that may fix the problem:
    Check the cooling paste. Like others have said, wrongly applies paste decreases the cooling power.

Look into your Bios, some boards have options that modulate the fanspeed. Some cases even have a button to adjust fan speed, at least mine has. You may even increase the voltage to clock up the fanspeed a little.

You should check for the optimal airflow. In my case a 120 fan sucks in fresh air into the case. The CPU cooler takes that flow and pushes it though the cooling ribs while another case fan releases the used air out of the case again. You should check if all fans carry the air flow smoothly instead of working against each other.

Some setups use another option with the PSU sucking in the air at the bottom and the CPU fan pushing it up where another fan pushes it through the top of the case.

You can add additional fans to increase the air flow, some CPU cooler supports dual fan mode. Or maybe buy a stronger Cooler in general. Scythe, Nocturnal or Alpenföhn usually have good coolers. It is worth reading some reviews and checking test results of magazines and so on.

Your problem may also be software based. Are there any processes using a lot of CPU except the main Game? Did you scan for viruses?
    Last edited by Uriel; 2014-07-27 at 06:06 PM.

Deleted
    I'm not sure where you're getting this TMPIN1 stuff from, but this is how HWMonitor@CPU looks like:

Note that this time of the year is tough for computers. My i7 4770k is 'normally' at 35-40 when it's not 30*C in Sweden.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for your reply Uriel, but my computer is 100% virus free.

I am definitely gonna check the cooling paste, as that is for sure a common tip around here.

On a side note: I haven't built the computer myself, because I have not a single clue where to start. I have choosen a few components from a list the gamepc retailer put together. Each component in that list is tested with every other component in that list, so no weird- ass combinations (aka not working combinations) are possible. The retailer actually built the whole thing from scratch.

The thing I'm trying to say is, though... That I'm incapable of let's say refreshing this cooling paste as I am too scared of breaking stuff and I have seriously no idea what I'm doing. I just wanted to know if this temperature is normal or not.

Deleted
    The maxtemperature on that processor is around 90*C. I'm not sure if it's taking damage or will shut down at 90*C~. Whichever, these are not safe temps for this processor.

Quote Originally Posted by verba View Post
    The maxtemperature on that processor is around 90*C. I'm not sure if it's taking damage or will shut down at 90*C~. Whichever, these are not safe temps for this processor.
    That's for intels. AMD architectures are far more sensible to high temperatures. (and produce less heat than intel in comparison, obvioiusly)

As far as reapplying the thermal paste, if you're really not that comfortable with building PCs, your case has the back of the motherboard exposed right where the CPU cooler is attached: you can therefore just open up the case (from both sides), apply thermal paste and put the CPU cooler back on, without having to get the motherboard outside of your case.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    That's for intels. AMD architectures are far more sensible to high temperatures. (and produce less heat than intel in comparison, obvioiusly)

As far as reapplying the thermal paste, if you're really not that comfortable with building PCs, most decent cases have the back of the motherboard exposed right where the CPU cooler is attached: you can therefore just open up the case, remove the CPU cooler, apply thermal paste and put the CPU cooler back on, without having to touch anything else.
    Bulldozer architecture maxtemp was 90*C~. They run much hotter than Phenom which had a maxtemp @ 63*C. I had one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure where you're getting this TMPIN1 stuff from, but this is how HWMonitor@CPU looks like:

Note that this time of the year is tough for computers. My i7 4770k is 'normally' at 35-40 when it's not 30*C in Sweden.
    Here's my CPUID with the TMPIN1 just at 70 degrees, because I haven't really played much.

http://imgur.com/qhuCLiW

Deleted
    Okay so now we've solved that this is not the CPU temperatures you're looking at, scroll down.. Use your eyes, oh my god.

Also, I take back what i said. Apparently these processors arent as hot as the first bulldozers. So maxtemp would be 62*C as Phenom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post

As far as reapplying the thermal paste, if you're really not that comfortable with building PCs, your case has the back of the motherboard exposed right where the CPU cooler is attached: you can therefore just open up the case (from both sides), apply thermal paste and put the CPU cooler back on, without having to get the motherboard outside of your case.
    Thanks for the advice! Definitely gonna check that out.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay so now we've solved that this is not the CPU temperatures you're looking at, scroll down.. Use your eyes, oh my god.

Also, I take back what i said. Apparently these processors arent as hot as the first bulldozers. So maxtemp would be 62*C as Phenom.
    So it's not the CPU, but the motherboard. Fail on my part - but still, does that still mean that 70-90 degrees is too hot?

That being said: can anyone tell what that TMPIN1 means?
    Last edited by Sylvorian; 2014-07-27 at 07:44 PM.