Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I asked Olandgren on Twitter for SIMPLE SINGLE COLORED capes, he said get a low level cape. Not only do they look like crap but they have this ugly trim too... I don't think Blizzard understands that simple is sometimes better.

We're stuck with blankets with ugly patterns on them...
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

It wouldn't be so bad if all the older stuff was such low quality poly/skin wise. There are some nice designs in the old stuff that are fairly simple, but they just look terrible by today's graphics standards. But yeah there are so many ways to make epic looking armor without just making everything bigger, or thicker. Haven't had any good sets in a long time. Really since transmog came out it feels like they are half assing the desings.

Quote Originally Posted by darknessxpersists View Post
    Does it bother anyone else that WoWs armor models are so over-the-top? I mean I'm not saying stop making them because I know people love them but at least make some more practical nice looking armor models for transmog lol. Like the new Stormwind guard armor. I LOVE that model and would wear that on my paladin over anything with a real looking sword and probably the shield from culling of Strat lol. Does this bother anyone else or is it just me?
    Rule number 1 with practical armor is it looks like shit becouse its made to be practical not for looks.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Because this is a "Super Duper Mega High Fantasy" genre game, that takes inspiration from the 80's comic books.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I feel like in most armor sets the shoulders and helms are designed to overcompensate for the rest of the set.

Most set items (with the exception of a few gloves and belt items) are simply a picture stretched onto the character model. Most chest and leg pieces are just boring. The colors and the design might be nice, but it's always a symmetrical drawing stretched onto the character directly or via the robe/kilt model that is still the same for 10 years now.

When it comes to armor design, I think that GW2 is absolutely superior to WoW.

Deleted
    Well, there are lowbie armors and weapons that look plain and simple. You can't make 100 different swords that look like normal longswords ...

I hear some people complain all the time about this, but do they use those items that are just "normal" for transmog? Of course not, they use new armors because they look so much cooler, but complain that they want to use swords like you get leveling up ... Here's an idea, if you want to use those plain and boring items you get 1-60, then use them!

Stood in the Fire ArMeD_SuRvIvOr's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    The real gear also looks pretty stupid if you ask me:

Nice skirt...
    WHAT?

This looks stupid to you? Get your eyes checked!
    Really sucks if they start to limit their vision for an expansion just to get the next one out faster.
    BLOOD DPS. Never forget. Still campaigning to get you back, babe.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by ArMeD_SuRvIvOr View Post
    WHAT?

The armor suit he linked looks retarded, complete with donald duck feet and everything, as does the guy in pantaloons with spurrs. The armor suit you linked looks fine, but not like something that belongs in a high fantasy genre. Also,- opinions dude... Opinions.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I've been playing FFXIV while waiting for Warlords of Draenor and I have to admit, I think I'm getting spoiled. I love what I'm seeing from WoW on the new models, but the new armor sets just...don't do it for me. There's no varying degrees anymore. Everything looks huge and, to me, nothing looks like it's made from leather or metal anymore. It's all rock and chipped stone looking armor.

Since Wrath, every set gear looks like it was designed with a primitive, rough design in mind with just a few exceptions. I'll grant some of them look downright bestial on Horde races, but the Alliance and even blood elves, and tauren to lesser extent, just seem like nothing really fits their "feel" if that makes sense.

I know the art style is vastly different, but I'm just hooked on the gear designs in FFXIV at the moment.

They also managed the full length tank skirts that WoW's has gone for on paladins rather nicely. But 10 year old engine vs newer engine, I know that makes a difference.

Still, I miss the variation. Paladin T4 and T6 were more toned down than T1 Banana gear. Hunter's T4 was more streamlines than T5's silhouette and vastly different than T6. Dungeon sets were more "functional" designs while tier sets were more over the top. Crafted gear was very reasonable for a more "realistic fantasy" design in many cases in Classic and Vanilla.

And gear looked like it was made from freakin' steel, not bulky chiseled stone. :/
    Last edited by Faroth; 2014-07-26 at 04:20 PM.

You can get the amour sets that the iron horde uses by building one of the garrison buildings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    It wouldn't be so bad if all the older stuff was such low quality poly/skin wise. There are some nice designs in the old stuff that are fairly simple, but they just look terrible by today's graphics standards. But yeah there are so many ways to make epic looking armor without just making everything bigger, or thicker. Haven't had any good sets in a long time. Really since transmog came out it feels like they are half assing the desings.
    I'd actually say the opposite. I think they're putting too many ideas together and the result ends up being just a big mess.

OT: Yeah I'd also like more simpler designs in the armor. I think their recent designs for the epic gear are just too over the top with special effects, hovering objects, and animating parts like the Warrior's buzz saw blades coming out of it's shoulders. It's cool for a design but when you're actually wearing it as armor it just looks a little too ridiculous.

Also I think a lot of people are misunderstanding what "normal looking" gear means. I don't think people mean medieval style armor, I'm pretty sure they just mean less over the top looking gear. Unless I am the one who is mistaken in which case I say keep the medieval style armor away from WoW. It's supposed to be a fantasy game not a realistic LoTR game It also bothers me when people say to just use transmog because it's like well wouldn't it be nice to have some new simple looking armor instead of having to go back to the older outdated looking armor all the time? The least they could do is update the old gear a little so it doesn't stand out as much when we get those new character models.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2014-07-26 at 04:30 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I completely agree. And, it's not that this is a stylistic choice for the Warcraft franchise overall - oh no - this is solely for playable characters. If you look at the models for most NPCs, in Warlords of Draenor particularly, they all have these gorgeous simplistic designs. Durotan's wolf pelt, for example. Or Khadgar's attire. Hell, even the new Stormwind Guard armor:

If the NPCs can get good looking simple designs like this, why cant we? Sure, let the raid tiers be over the top if that's a must, but at least make the alternatives available for the rest of us.
    Get low level sets - they look that boring and bland.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darknessxpersists View Post
    I've always thought that Blizzard should hold yearly events where they make their designing software available to the public for a couple of months and let players create and submit things and then if they're really good the stuff could be used in game. Just look at all the awesome stuff that people come up with for Skyrim. It would be a great way to add more content to the game and not take away from Blizzards resources they're using on more important things.

I absolutely love that idea. Not that I think it would ever happen, but you should post the suggestion on the official forums.

Deleted
    Personally, I would love to see a new mesh for the lower part of robes.

Something with a bit more flow to it or a few more layers?

There is more to it than looks and over the top though. The feel of the game is very much tied in with the movements and animation of your toon....and if that toon is encased inside a purple, polka-dot armor the size of a car with feathers sticking out of it...it kinda kills it.

I would spend a HUGE amount of time getting the Defias armor for my rogue for example, including a new moggable red bandana and some very sleek looking shoulders. It actually looks like leather and not like you were dipped in tar and rolled through a Xmas tree.

Quote Originally Posted by ArMeD_SuRvIvOr View Post
    WHAT?

Outside of the helmet it looks ok but warrior t13 shit on it in my opinion.

Deleted
    I would like some more simplistic designs for other armour sets, like some of the stuff in Dark Souls. The armour sets like Faraam Armour and the Elite Knight Armour are quite simple yet extremely badass.
    http://hdwallpaper.freehdw.com/0009/...rmor_82827.jpg
    http://igronews.com/uploads/posts/20...98799515_1.jpg
    Last edited by mmocd7303e2187; 2014-07-26 at 05:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    I can't see how it would hurt to have a couple of downtoned armor sets but I think Blizzard simply made the artistic choice of player armor being a tad over the top.
    I would like to see them returning to more realistic artistic choices. The current over the top bombastic crap with the blinkenlights is fucking annoying.
    I don't mind badass big axe or huge fucking sword with spikes, but the constant power ranger cosplay parade with padded shoulders from the 80s is a liiiiiittle bit tiresome.