10+ Year Old Account

Fish Plays Pokémon

Well, since the whole Twitch Plays Pokémon hype died down, it appears that some creative genius has come up with an entirely new way of playing Pokémon, and streaming it on Twitch...

Yep, they've set up a camera on their fishbowl, and are tracking their betta fish's every move as it swims around it's bowl. Overlaid in front of the fishbowl is a 3x3 grid, with each segment of the grid assigned to a button, controlling the Pokémon game.

The fish is named Grayson Hopper, and according to the twitch page has been playing for around 135 hours. They're playing Pokémon Red, and so far Grayson has acquired his first Pokemon, a Charmander named AAAABBK, and defeated his first opponent, the rival's Squirtle, completely unassisted, and is currently working on making it out of Pallet Town.

Currently has nearly 20,000 viewers.

http://www.twitch.tv/fishplayspokemon
    Last edited by ZaneBusby; 2014-08-08 at 03:42 AM.

Why would anyone watch this. Someone told me about it on IRC this afternoon, so I looked at it for 60 seconds. I go back 14 hours later, and it's still in the starting bedroom.

Fuck this stream, the person who made it, and the 20,000 people watching it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Someone told me about it on IRC this afternoon, so I looked at it for 60 seconds. I go back 14 hours later, and it's still in the starting bedroom.
    Well it's already picked a Charmander and defeated the rival's Squirtle, and is currently working on making it out of Pallet Town, so it's getting SOMEWHERE. Even if very slowly. Not still stuck in the bedroom at all. Lol
    Last edited by ZaneBusby; 2014-08-08 at 10:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neat! What will the internet think of next. That fish will probably die before it finishes.

Well, I fish the buttons were smaller and there were more of them, there isnt any action because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaneBusby View Post
    Well it's already picked a Charmander and defeated the rival's Squirtle, and is currently working on making it out of Pallet Town, so it's getting SOMEWHERE. Even if very slowly. Not still stuck in the bedroom at all. Lol
    Pretty sure he didn't pick the Charmander himself since its name is a homeage to the Charmander Twitch Plays Pokémon picked for their Red run.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    Pretty sure he didn't pick the Charmander himself since its name is a homeage to the Charmander Twitch Plays Pokémon picked for their Red run.
    The page claims the fish has been playing since the start. It's quite possible the names are similar just by chance: the naming screen starts you on A and you select letters with the arrow keys, so a random or near-random input is usually going to name a pokemon starting with A and followed by other letters next to it.

I have but one thing to say to this - pretender.

*whispering* Hail Helix.

You crazy people and your streaming obsessions. I don't see how anything is gonna get done before we all die.

A chance for Dome to rise again! Hail democracy!