Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

What are you sitting on?

Couldn't find a better place for this post.

So as a long time gamer, I spend a lot of time in my computer chair. I've gone through 2-3 chairs and a few seat cushions in the last few years. I'm by no means a big guy, 5'10" and less than 190lbs, but with the amount of use that my chairs get with playing WoW and other PC games I find the cushions go flat pretty quick. I've had a memory foam cushion to try and offset how flat my current chair is but it only helps a little. After years of sitting in chairs between gaming and school I'm looking to get a chair that lasts much longer.

I know mesh seems to be the way to go, but it can't convince myself or fiancé to let me spend +$400 on a chair. I'm hoping to spend less than $200 and the more affordable the better. Can anyone recommend a chair they've been using that stands up to the test of time? Needs to be able to lean back and roll/swivel.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

What am I sitting on? A $5 chair I picked up from a local Goodwill store with a foam couch-cushion(roughly 6 inches thick, though i'm a good ~60lbs bigger than you are ) thrown on it for extra comfyness.
    Basically a older version of this :

A bit more on topic, you can grab a pillow($10-20 usually) and use that for sitting on or use a memory-foam+stiff foam combination and stick em together in some fabric(pillow case) and use that with the memory-foam-side up. Otherwise, pretty much most chairs will flatten out over time(faster if your sitting in them alot) so I fint id easier to find a chair that has a comfy-back and just get something to put in the seat of it to make it more comfy.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Deleted
    I have a rather big leather massage chair with wooden hand supports. And it's in no way comfortable:P I'm a 138 lbs girl but without a cushion I can feel the "massage heads" or however you want to call them through the leather and whats under it.

This one, dirt cheap and lasted me longer then a bunch of more expensive ones

Finally no back pains in ~2 years. 116 kg atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some cheap chair from walmart that had some armrests. I wish it had a better seat cushion because my old one(exact same chair) the cushion got so bad the screws from the gas lift attachment would poke my butt. Not fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Second hand office chair I bought from a shop round the corner for £20 which I've had for 6 years or so. It's one of the kind that were built to last not like the overpriced plasticy ones you get from the major stores that start to degrade as soon as you start using them.

Deleted
    my bum

The chair I am sat on though is a Leather office chair with a couple of towels over it. (stops the summer sticky leather chair syndrome!)

I'm sitting on whatever. Right now it's a very basic swivel-chair in full hard-plastic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    http://www.dxracer.net/gallery/s1390578277.jpg
    Finally no back pains in ~2 years. 116 kg atm.
    I'll never Understand those race car style chairs. They go to great lengths to make most of it good quality yet the arm rests are total crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    I'll never Understand those race car style chairs. They go to great lengths to make most of it good quality yet the arm rests are total crap.
    Because it's designed to be replaced in a relatively short period of time. We live in a throw-away society more than ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ikea Markus

Don't buy it, it's trash
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

My partner and I got two mesh Markus chairs and love them. We were sitting on wooden chairs before and these are way more comfortable.
    CPU - i9 9900k | CPU Cooler - Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | Motherboard - MSI Z390 Godlike | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 2080 Ti
    RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | SSD - 2x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVMe | PSU - EVGA Supernova 750w P2 |Case - Corsair Air 540

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    We were sitting on wooden chairs before and these are way more comfortable.
    Thats not really a good comparison >_>
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

A basic computer chair with the back support broken off.

Now that I'm not playing a game, probably better advice is don't buy a chair with a flimsy back, buy a sturdy one :P
    Also I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get a decent chair for under $200, just make sure to, you know...make sure it's made of sturdy stuff.

That's exactly what mine looks like, except minus the arm rests, and the entire top snapped off. Granted, it's about 10 years old probably, but still it was barely used before I got my computer. I would recommend avoiding it because the only adjustment it has for leaning is you have to actually lean back and the top will bend (Which is what caused it to snap off anyway)
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2014-07-29 at 05:41 AM.

I sit on a couch. Not too helpful for you tho...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    That's exactly what mine looks like, except minus the arm rests, and the entire top snapped off. Granted, it's about 10 years old probably, but still it was barely used before I got my computer. I would recommend avoiding it because the only adjustment it has for leaning is you have to actually lean back and the top will bend (Which is what caused it to snap off anyway)
    I don't think companies are allowed to make office chairs out of cast iron parts that will last forever any more because of a treaty that says there must be built in obsolescence. So unless you bought your chair 30 years ago or you got a well built one from a second hand shop like me you're pretty much screwed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    I don't think companies are allowed to make office chairs out of cast iron parts that will last forever any more because of a treaty that says there must be built in obsolescence. So unless you bought your chair 30 years ago or you got a well built one from a second hand shop like me you're pretty much screwed.
    Source?

In Denmark atleast, they're not allowed to use chairs of plain wood/iron anymore due to the comfort problems.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Yeah, I'd like to see a legitimate source on that as well, otherwise it just sounds like bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard it in the pub.