Gathering professions

If I have eng/blacksmithing will it be worth keeping both to have in the expansion or should I drop one and replace it with mining... if there are no combat benefits.

Tell me, what is it you think "combat benefits" actually entails? I see people throw this term around all the time and get the distinct impression it is not what people seem to think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    Tell me, what is it you think "combat benefits" actually entails? I see people throw this term around all the time and get the distinct impression it is not what people seem to think it is.
    having the professions ups your DPS in a raid boss enviroment. So the haste bonus from Lifeblood, the springs on gloves for engineering, the extra socket from Blacksmith, the tailoring cloak chant that procs crit/int/spirit. all of these are going away in WOD so yes take up mining and keep the one you like the most. (FYI they are keeping boot chant, but making it so everyone can use, non engineers included. so that is not techincally a bonus)

the real question you should be asking yourself is: which types of items do I need for my finished goods? because in WOD you will need items from other professions to make finished goods. you will need oils from Fishing for alchemy, potions from alchemy to make tailoing patterns, hides from leatherworking to do blacksmith stuff. if you want to keep blacksmith or engineering take a look at what kind of other stuff you might need (you can go to wowhead to see what patterns are like).

Quote Originally Posted by Txiv View Post
    having the professions ups your DPS in a raid boss enviroment. So the haste bonus from Lifeblood, the springs on gloves for engineering, the extra socket from Blacksmith, the tailoring cloak chant that procs crit/int/spirit. all of these are going away in WOD so yes take up mining and keep the one you like the most. (FYI they are keeping boot chant, but making it so everyone can use, non engineers included. so that is not techincally a bonus)

the real question you should be asking yourself is: which types of items do I need for my finished goods? because in WOD you will need items from other professions to make finished goods. you will need oils from Fishing for alchemy, potions from alchemy to make tailoing patterns, hides from leatherworking to do blacksmith stuff. if you want to keep blacksmith or engineering take a look at what kind of other stuff you might need (you can go to wowhead to see what patterns are like).
    Oh I'm aware of what those professions do to dps in a raid boss environment. The thing of it all is, the relative difference in what the current professions give with those types of perks is quite small-small enough that the vast majority of players don't really need to concern themselves with it. And it just seems that with those (and what I hope/assume only those) perks going away the sky seems to be falling for an incredibly vocal minority.

well in my experience you can always make more gold by buying materials and shuffling them opposed to just selling raw materials, it definitely takes more time and know-how though

Its all going to come down to how many mats you need vs how many are being gathered. Obviously Garrisons are going to give you the ability to supply an X amount every day, but with no flying, the question still remains how many will be doing it out in the world. Its very possible where we get into a situation where supply and demand are fairly close which will make it more difficult to flip things off the AH.

I've always been one that's liked having a gathering along with a main, primarily because at the start of expansions you can make a fortune selling mats, and then once the price drops you can then work more on the crafting.

I actually went into WoD with double gatherers expecting the market to be similar as it was with WotLK and Cata ( where mats were through the roof for several weeks) and got burnt on that deal. Probably will make myself more flexible once again and go with the normal Gathering/crafting out of the gate.