Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    you have to work out every day and eat a lot of food especially protein

Deleted
    Just use your body weight to get bigger. When I was your age I just used to do press up and sit ups and people thought I was on juice. Kinda pissed me off but what can you do when everyone gets jelly in their teens when someone succeeds where they can't. I got a lot of my techniques from sprint training so have a look around the internet for exercises that will work different muscle groups. You could also look into getting a resistance band if you want to work your arms, they are fantastic.

Eat a lot and eat clean. You're growing so there is almost zero chance you will pork up no matter how much you eat as long as it isn't sugar.

If you want to see how big you can get from just using your body weight, check out hannibal on youtube. Guy is a beast yet he has more definition and core strength than most people that just pump iron.

Change is slow my friend, stick to it and you'll see results. Don't expect some quick fix, it takes time, effort, dedication and most importantly self control. You have to want it and if you want it that bad it will happen.
    Last edited by mmocd42035da1b; 2014-08-19 at 06:23 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexxie View Post
    If you want to see how big you can get from just using your body weight, check out hannibal on youtube. Guy is a beast yet he has more definition and core strength than most people that just pump iron.
    Don't fool yourself into thinking he's either natural or uses bodyweight exercises only

nerdfitness.com

great advise for diet, exercises, and staying motivated.

Paleo diet is great for losing weight

10+ Year Old Account
    Cardio will get rid of the belly fat faster than anything. Whether you are a "Strong Runner" or not, do it. Going to recommend a stationary bike if you can't either get ahold of an actual bike and long stretches of road to ride on or walk.

For Reference, I do 24km of biking daily (it's my way to and from work). By JUST doing this and adjusting my diet, I have dropped 45kg in about a year and am in not-unspectacular shape. (Granted I added lifting and extreme cardio in the last half a year)

Keys to remember; Walking or ANY type of cardio is wasted if you gobble a crapload of food afterward. You seem to get this, so I won't stress it more than is necessary. Rather than going for the Three Meals a Day with no Snacks route, I also recommend small meals and small snacks in between as necessary.

Necessary in this regard is STARVING, not "mmmm that chococrisp looks delicious!".

ALSO, you are 14 - I wouldn't worry too much about love handles. A lot of the Muscle Crowd of kids in school get there through organized sports, which will sweat the water weight off of you VERY fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellrime View Post
    It's good to start small just to get used to working out, but keep in mind that there has to be a balance between cardio and weights to start seeing definition. Later on you might want to start separating workouts for different days, as to not exhaust or strain yourself. For instance, right now my workout consists of:

Leg Day: Tuesday
    30 min. - jogging/speed walking interval
    4 x 15 @ 250 pounds - Leg Press
    4 x 15 @ 90 pounds - Leg Curl
    4 x 15 @ 90 pounds - Forward Leg Extension
    4 X 24 - Alternating Lunges

Chest and Bicep: Thursday
    30 min. - Jogging/Fast Walking
    4 x 15 @ 80 -160 pounds - Bench Press
    4 x 15 @ 110 pounds - Chest Press Machine
    4 x 15 @ 110 pounds - Flys
    4 x 15 - Push-ups

4 x 15 @ 30 pounds - Inverted Hammer Curls
    4 x 30 @ 30 pounds - Standing Alternating Curls
    4 x 15 @ 30 - 40 pounds - Cable Curls
    4 x 15 @ 20 pounds - Preacher Curls

Back and Tricep: Sunday
    30 min. - Jogging/Fast Walking
    4 x 15 @ 110 pounds - Seated Cable Row
    4 x 15 @ 110 pounds - Seated Overhead Press
    4 x 15 @ 50 pounds - Shrugs
    4 x 15 @ 70 pounds - Back Press

4 x 15 @ 30 pounds - Forearms Curls
    4 x 15 @ 50 pounds - Tricep Extensions
    4 x 15 @ 60 pounds - Skullcrushers
    4 x 15 @ 30 pounds - Dumbell Tricep extensions.
    30 min. - Rowing Machine

But it took like 4 months to build up to that. I would recommend the same workout but with a lot less weight to start. Work completely on form and doing the sets correctly at first without caring how much weight you're doing. When comfortable start adding 5 -10 pounds each week. Also, if you feel tired or lose grip strength, take a break and come back. Also, if you're trying to bulk up you don't want to cut calorie intake, but research what you're eating, like high protein items are good for that. Also look into the difference between fast and slow carbs.
    This is a good starting routine. I just wanted to give my two cents. You are doing ALOT of reps. I usually got between 8 and 12. Another awesome work out is to do complimenting muscles groups for workout days. Chest and Back, Biceps and Triceps, Traps and Shoulders and then Leg day. Leg day is special because usually leg workouts encompass a huge amount of muscle groups. Also throw in a traps and shoulders day. You will love doing those workouts. Standing rows, dumbbell raises, lateral dumbbell raises, shrugs, etc.

Confused on what the difference is between tricep extensions and dumbbell tricep extensions. I would recommend dumbbell kickbacks, but drop the weight, you wont be able to do 20lbs with 4 x 10.

Thanks for that useful information!

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking for exact formulas is pretty much impossible with different body types, not to mention not all miles ran are the same amount of physical activity (hills, higher knees, swinging arms more)

Read up on nutrition and adjust accordingly to your regimen/lifestyle, push limits, let your muscles heal from rigorous workouts, repeat, profit.

Deleted
    So much nonsense in this thread. I've been working out, seriously, pretty much without time off since I was 13. There's nothing wrong with starting to work out at 14 - in fact it will be alot easier than if you wait a couple of years. As many have already said, bodyweight exercises are really good, especially to start with. Pushups, pullups, air squats, back extensions, situps etc. Do 'em all. And if you decide to go to a gym - stay with basic movements to start with, and make sure you do 'em right! It hurts my eyes to see all those people deadlifting with bent backs or squat with knees in and heels in the air. Definately ask someone to teach you those basic exercises, cuz they will stick with you for as long as you work out.

You should have sport at least half a hour each time and three times per week.

Deleted
    Be motivated and be consistent, that's all the you need in order to succeed

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Building your core strength (pull ups, push ups, squats, stomach crunch) and upping your cardio is vital to do before you embark on any weight lifting. Seriously I wouldn't recommend it

Deleted
    Don´t do that many reps, 5-8 reps is just fine and you can use heavier weight. Get a proper program, that stuff you are doing now is just crap. You are young. drop the BB crap and do compounds to get some proper core strength. Do a few iso for bicep/tricep/calf. Do 15 min of hiit 3 times a week, works much better than 1000m light jogs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JLKrombacher View Post
    This is a good starting routine. I just wanted to give my two cents. You are doing ALOT of reps. I usually got between 8 and 12. Another awesome work out is to do complimenting muscles groups for workout days. Chest and Back, Biceps and Triceps, Traps and Shoulders and then Leg day. Leg day is special because usually leg workouts encompass a huge amount of muscle groups. Also throw in a traps and shoulders day. You will love doing those workouts. Standing rows, dumbbell raises, lateral dumbbell raises, shrugs, etc.

Confused on what the difference is between tricep extensions and dumbbell tricep extensions. I would recommend dumbbell kickbacks, but drop the weight, you wont be able to do 20lbs with 4 x 10.
    Actually it´s a pretty crappy program and way to many reps.

His combination of legs stuff is not very good

Way to much focus on bicep/tricep and not enough on back/shoulders. H combination of chest excersises are also not very good. Flys? lol.

No ab work

No Compounds, the big compounds are just a must for faster increases. Squat, Deadlift, BB Rows, pullups, SOHP etc.

A 2 day push/pull split (training 4 times a week) with the right excersises and 4x6-8 reps would work much better

For triceps, close grip benchpress is king.
    Last edited by mmoc3eb006e951; 2015-01-28 at 02:29 PM.

Deleted
    Use this website , make it your bible: aworkoutroutine

Gives great advice and will help with your goals. Bare in mind you cannot simply gain muscle and lose weight at the same time, unless you have the genetics of a God. Choose a path first then change etc.

If you want to lose weight then eat less (count calories) and go for runs / light workout.

Want to build muscle then lift heavy, eat heavy, sleep heavy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by leewillzy View Post
    Use this website , make it your bible: aworkoutroutine

Gives great advice and will help with your goals. Bare in mind you cannot simply gain muscle and lose weight at the same time, unless you have the genetics of a God. Choose a path first then change etc.

If you want to lose weight then eat less (count calories) and go for runs / light workout.

Want to build muscle then lift heavy, eat heavy, sleep heavy.
    Not entirely true. Depending on your starting weight it is certainly possible to gain muscles and lose weight. I went from 200lbs to 168lbs in 6 months while making some quite nice gains strength and muscle wise, got up to 365lbs DL. Not everyone needs to take the 1200 cal a day route.

When i was a kid it was nothing but body weight exercises...pushup, pullups, squat thrusts etc. However, research now does lean towards weight training being OK but you NEED your parents to find a certified trainer who knows the physiological differences between an adolescent and an adult. Resistance weight training really should not start till you are done growing. Generally 16-20 years of age.

Here is a good starting link: http://www.issaonline.edu/blog/index...rch-literature

DO NOT follow any of the programs that have been offered. One of the biggest concerns with weight training at a young age is epiphyseal fusion. This is fusion of your growth plates. Also there are hormonal differences where your body does not respond to resistance training as an adult. Lifting heavy will not produce the same results in an adolescent as it will in an adult.

I cannot stress enough that if you do want to start weight training then have your parents get a Certified Trained Professional.

Honestly, easiest and probably healthiest thing is to play sports, run, climb etc. If you want to do any type of strength training do body weight type exercises.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere I read it was your body could produce at most around a pound of muscles a month. Meaning 12 a year, which for everyone else is around 5 KGs. And that's about how much you do make regardless regular supplements and work out. It's what the maximum potential is. While however if you use steroid you can triple that amount. Which absolutely is sick if you from 1 pound a month can almost make 1 pound a week.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    All I'm going to say is that eat a lot. And then eat some more.

You're 14 so you really shouldnt be dieting unless you're very very obese.