Satanic Temple seeks Hobby Lobby-style exemption from anti-abortion laws

lol thanks Supreme Court for the laughs

http://theweek.com/article/index/265...-abortion-laws

If Christian business owners cannot be compelled to violate their faith, why should the same protection not apply to Satanists? That's the argument the Satanic Temple is making to claim that, in the wake of the Supreme Court's Hobby Lobby ruling, women who share their beliefs should not be forced to follow some of the more restrictive state-level abortion laws to crop up in recent years.

Specifically, the Satanic Temple wants women to be exempt from having to view legally mandated "informational" materials — which it calls "biased" and "medically invalid" — prior to having an abortion. Dozens of states require women to attend counseling before receiving an abortion, while 10 mandate that they receive written materials before undergoing the procedure, according to the Guttmacher Institute.

"While we feel we have a strong case for an exemption regardless of the Hobby Lobby ruling, the Supreme Court has decided that religious beliefs are so sacrosanct that they can even trump scientific fact," a spokesperson for the group said in a press release.

The Satanic Temple added that all women who share their belief that the "body is inviolable subject to one's own will alone" — and not merely temple members — should be free to claim the exemption. - - Jon Terbush

10+ Year Old Account

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Kind of funny that satanism is compared to buddhism. I

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Kind of funny that satanism is compared to buddhism. I
    Apt if you think about it. Both are (in and of themselves) atheistic beliefs that use an individual as a paragon of what they believe is a correct way of life.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like this is the second time these "neo-Satanists" (not talking about the other kind of Satanism) are going all out in trying to show that religious freedom isn't "Christian freedom". Even I'm getting tired of these far-right Conservatives trying to attempt a theocratic coup d'etat of our government (and this is coming from a guy from a highly Conservative community and being raised around a Christian background). I'm glad there are some people standing up to this ludicrous nonsense and hope they continue to troll the hell out of people, cause they're doing a damn good job of it.

Yea i see that a lot too. Christians in my family get all gung ho about religious freedom, but then rebuke everything else. Ive watched 2 movies today with the wife, and there was cross images and prayer in all of them. Christianity just has the most press and exposure here in America.

Deleted
    Satanism is not a bad religion, They actually have a few good points.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Mostly because it's more of a religious counter-culture than a true religion.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

I think its the name that scares people away.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Mostly because it's more of a religious counter-culture than a true religion.
    I spoke to a so called Satanist once and he was a cool guy. I thought it was all about sacrifice, sin and praising the devil but it is none of that, they just take responsiblity for their own lives rather than blaming God for everything.

I spoke to a so called Satanist once and he was a cool guy. I thought it was all about sacrifice, sin and praising the devil but it is none of that, they just take responsiblity for their own lives rather than blaming God for everything.
    It has a similar message as yin yang i believe except above and below. Polar opposites. You can Correct me if I'm wrong.

I always love stories when Satanists, Atheists, etc display higher morals than Christianity.

If they take responsibility for their own lives instead of blaming god for everything how can they be religious?
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    I always love stories when Satanists, Atheists, etc display higher morals than Christianity.
    I think that's because many of those followers are prone to asking you: "Why do you have those beliefs?" as opposed to the "You NEED God in your life."

On a purely anecdotal note - I got labeled anti-religious when someone told me I needed to pray and I replied "To which God?" There just isn't enough proof out there for me to put my faith in one particular deity.

10+ Year Old Account
    We already closed this thread several times already.

As per the prior closing message, threads like this open up to too much bashing. Religion is a forbidden topic here for a reason.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |