Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

[Anime] Japan to take down illegal streaming sites.

If you are using any of these sites to stream anime, be prepared to see the sites blocked. Japan plans to crack down on allof them very soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither of the two I use on the rare occasion I watch it streamed are mentioned.

Yay me! :P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I use a legit source so I'm not worried.

The blurred "PONY" letters, kept in "SONY" style, at the bottom of both pics don't really add to the trustworthiness here. 1/10, try again.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    The blurred "PONY" letters, kept in "SONY" style, at the bottom of both pics don't really add to the trustworthiness here. 1/10, try again.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...ion-next-month

I'm confused what this list is actually meant to imply anyway. Are they going to try to compel the sites to take down the content? Good luck. Even if they manage it, as always on the internet, new sites pop up to replace old sites that served a function.

There are always, ALWAYS going to be people that exist on the internet that are willing to do illegal things to get what they want.

I expect it to be just about as succesful as big media's attempts at thwarting regular movie/tv piracy; ie: not at all succesful.

As always, the answer is not in removing the illegal methods but in providing legal methods that offer value.
    In addition, the operation will launch a new site to guide the fans to a legitimate site offering some 250 titles including
    the latest ones at a cost of several hundred yen.
    is promising, but i'll believe it when I see it. If it isn't available at a good price and pretty much on release, it's going to get superseded by illegal means. Several hundred yen (a couple of dollars) per episode for series that can often stretch many hundreds of episodes is not value for money.
    Last edited by Delekii; 2014-07-31 at 03:40 PM.

I doubt it will have a big effect, because as far as i can tell it simply seems like a request to shut the sites down rather than them actually suing them or something of that sort. Perhaps it will shut down a few streaming sites, but there's always plenty of those available, and i very much doubt they it will have an impact on torrent sites such as Nyaa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    I'm confused what this list is actually meant to imply anyway. Are they going to try to compel the sites to take down the content? Good luck. Even if they manage it, as always on the internet, new sites pop up to replace old sites that served a function.

There are always, ALWAYS going to be people that exist on the internet that are willing to do illegal things to get what they want.

I expect it to be just about as succesful as big media's attempts at thwarting regular movie/tv piracy; ie: not at all succesful.

As always, the answer is not in removing the illegal methods but in providing legal methods that offer value. is promising, but i'll believe it when I see it. If it isn't available at a good price and pretty much on release, it's going to get superseded by illegal means. Several hundred yen (a couple of dollars) per episode for series that can often stretch many hundreds of episodes is not value for money.

www.crunchyroll.com

100% legit and cheap.
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2014-07-31 at 04:09 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    They're not really helping their own sales, because I reckon a lot of the people who watch it pirated wouldn't buy any of it to begin with. Teens in the age 13 to 17 don't have a lot of their own funds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    www.crunchyroll.com

100% legit and cheap.
    All that does is show external links to places like Amazon...

www.crunchyroll.com

100% legit and cheap.
    Unfortunately still very lacking when compared to the illegal alternatives, but at least it's a start.

Deleted
    I use sites like animefreak and chia-anime, but thats because anime is so god damn expensive to buy. I try to buy when its cheap enough, but 25 euros for 260 mins of tv is insane compared to american tv series where a season is priced at around 10 euros

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    They're not really helping their own sales, because I reckon a lot of the people who watch it pirated wouldn't buy any of it to begin with. Teens in the age 13 to 17 don't have a lot of their own funds.

- - - Updated - - -

All that does is show external links to places like Amazon...
    ? it's a steaming site.

ouch. Well some links will be down but there's always alternative. Also.."Myspace"!!?? Didn't know it was still existing and used for streaming

Didn't something like this happen back in 2010 and nothing happened at all?

--SNIP--

High quality. Lots of animes. Only downside is you have to have advertisements turned on, but the only ads are outside the video (some of which can be hidden) and none play during the video. Just whitelist it on your ad-blocker.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-07-31 at 04:57 PM.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    snip

High quality. Lots of animes. Only downside is you have to have advertisements turned on, but the only ads are outside the video (some of which can be hidden) and none play during the video. Just whitelist it on your ad-blocker.

Might want to remove that link. MMO-champion doesn't allow illegal sites to be linked here.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonasknepper View Post
    I use sites like animefreak and chia-anime, but thats because anime is so god damn expensive to buy. I try to buy when its cheap enough, but 25 euros for 260 mins of tv is insane compared to american tv series where a season is priced at around 10 euros
    The Tengen toppa gurren lagann Blu rays are the price of a decent computer they are charging 500 USD for the box set like really?
    Japan is even charging 357 USD for a upscale HD quality 06 anime with no new animation at all.

Might want to remove that link. MMO-champion doesn't allow illegal sites to be linked here.
    Not illegal according to japan. Would it have been fine if I left off the .com? I assume so, else the entire OP would be against the rules. That's sort of silly, is the only thing against the rules the fact that you can click on it and follow the link? I didn't even make it a link, the forum did it automatically.
    Last edited by spinner981; 2014-07-31 at 05:36 PM.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Not illegal according to japan. Would it have been fine if I left off the .com?
    It is illegal according to Japan since the only 3 streaming sites they recommend are Crunchy Roll, Funi, and Daisuki.
    If you want manga you go to Crunchyroll or Viz Media.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not illegal according to japan. Would it have been fine if I left off the .com?

If you are going by the list it just means they don't know them all.

Technically no. You shouldn't be mentioning the names of the sites at all. Was just trying to save you from a possible infraction.