Heroic Thok, perma phase 1 question

So I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this.

My guild has had thok heroic on farm for months now and they tend to not like to spice things up as much as I do and try new things for the sake of trying new things.

In my guild, we have always done what we call "the dream" which is to make the 30th stack be the hit that pushes us into kite phase, but because we always aim for exactly 30 stacks sometimes that means the 30th hit gets off and it kills everyone.

The thing is though, it doesn't.

It kills most of the raid but a handful of people always survive this supposed instant raid wipe mechanic. And all subsequent roars don't seem to do the additional damage that the 30th one does. I remember on more than a few occasions a handful of people lived, then everyone but myself (tank) died on follow up roars just from all the healers being dead. Then I stand there and tank it and survive it for like 10-15 more stacks and it really doesn't hurt me that much. I've heard of paladins and tanks with really OP self heals being able to survive prettymuch indefinitely through limitless numbers of stacks.

So obviously the mechanic isn't instant-death, it has a finite damage value. And it doesn't appear to do the big bursty awful damage but once, the stacks beyond 30 seem to do normal damage (or at least it feels normal to me).

I was just wondering if anyone has ever actually tried to throw in like 3 or 4 extra healers and then when the 30th hit comes just drop multiple priest bubbles, smoke bomb, basically all raid-wide defensive CDs just to survive that one hit, then use the additional healers to keep healing the damage forever.

It seems like a pretty simple thing to do, it seems like if it were possible people would've done it already but I found no videos or anything of this ever being attempted. Seems like with extra healers you could keep everyone topped off between roars pretty easily and still be able to blow defensives all at once to avoid the raid wipe.

if ALL roars beyond 30 did the extra badass damage it would of course be impossible, but like I said from my experience they don't seem to. Seems like only the 30th then the rest are normal again.

So just curious if this has ever actually been attempted or if anyone knows anything about it. Might try it on our next full heroic clear next week just for the lulz because siege is horrifically boring after all these months.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

We where messing up the other week and I actually think it's bugged atm.

We where going over 30 every time and they where all doing normal damage until about 32-33 when the increased damage would kick in. On other attempts the 30th or 31 would be the increased damage. Either way I told people to stop the science and just push the phase at 26-28 to avoid wiping more.

If you see people surviving it they either had a lot of defensive/absorbs up or it's bugged like above. It does 1.5 million damage on a frost DK, I would hate to see what it's hitting clothies for.

Either way, yes you could survive it with enough CDs. With it being bugged as hell and coming on the 30th, 31th 32, 33rd or whatever it's pretty hard to know when it will actually land.

if you can 2 heal the fight (25 to 27 stacks) while saving cds. and get him to 40% before p2 with an alt group I see no reason for doing this...except for fun. 4 healers would be enough

Quote Originally Posted by theburned View Post
    if you can 2 heal the fight (25 to 27 stacks) while saving cds. and get him to 40% before p2 with an alt group I see no reason for doing this...except for fun. 4 healers would be enough
    I was talking about in 25 when I said lob like 4 more healers just for easymodes

Anyway, it'll be a fun little experiment. And yeah there isn't much point, heroic thok is pretty darn easy as-is but I just like to push things and see if they push back.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Method did it while it was a world first race. I don't think enough people can survive the 30 stack wipe skill to finish him off. But give it a try and let me know. Everyone should use HP flask and trinkets, keep every possible self/raid dmg reduction cooldown and maybe... it does around 1,5 million damage, it's not impossible to make 50% dmg reduction on everyone and then all you need is 750k+ HP

Last edited by Vilendor; 2014-07-29 at 06:29 AM.

Having seen him get up to ~40 stacks (fire phase, just tanking through it), every roar after the tipping point was 1M+ damage. It wasn't just one.

Yea we tried cding through it when they nerfed his dmg in 10H, but every screech post 30 was hitting for the full extra amount. I wouldn't be surprised if it's buggy/inconsistent though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    Method did it while it was a world first race. I don't think enough people can survive the 30 stack wipe skill to finish him off. But give it a try and let me know. Everyone should use HP flask and trinkets, keep every possible self/raid dmg reduction cooldown and maybe... it does around 1,5 million damage, it's not impossible to make 50% dmg reduction on everyone and then all you need is 750k+ HP

2x Smoke bomb + 1x Disc bubble = 52% reduced damage taken then you can just use Rallying Cry to buff the health pools. Easily done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    If you see people surviving it they either had a lot of defensive/absorbs up or it's bugged like above. It does 1.5 million damage on a frost DK, I would hate to see what it's hitting clothies for.
    Im fairly certain the damage ignores armor.

its a nice thought and most of our tanks survive it easy but its just not feasible, thok is simple enough just by doing it normally, dont need to fix what aint broken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    2x Smoke bomb + 1x Disc bubble = 52% reduced damage taken then you can just use Rallying Cry to buff the health pools. Easily done.
    yeah just that EVERY roar does the 300% damage, not just the one. That's 1M+ damage before mitigation ever 2.4sec, for a long time since atleast during progress they were sitting at 99 stacks capped for god knows how long. GL with that.

it easy but its just not feasible, thok is simple enough just by doing it normally..

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    if ALL roars beyond 30 did the extra badass damage it would of course be impossible, but like I said from my experience they don't seem to. Seems like only the 30th then the rest are normal again.
    We tried it, several times.
    As others have stated, sometimes it bugs out and one or two of the subsequent roars doesn't do the 1M+ hit but the following ones will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    We where messing up the other week and I actually think it's bugged atm.

We where going over 30 every time and they where all doing normal damage until about 32-33 when the increased damage would kick in. On other attempts the 30th or 31 would be the increased damage. Either way I told people to stop the science and just push the phase at 26-28 to avoid wiping more.

Either way, yes you could survive it with enough CDs. With it being bugged as hell and coming on the 30th, 31th 32, 33rd or whatever it's pretty hard to know when it will actually land.
    Clothies tend to have more armor than plate wearers, due to pvp

Irrelevant as screech ignores armor in the first place.