Poll: What is your favourite style of legendary?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    I prefer legendary to be repaired than crafted.

If you craft it...then what does it made legendary?
    I'm not talking about five iron bars and some weak flux. Legendaries can be forged in times of war as a countermeasure to an extreme evil. Shadowmourne is a perfect example.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I think Lore legendaries are awesome, I picked the Crafted legendary. Because I feel that we are making our own adventure, and I feel that the Lore legendary's should belong to the Lore holders.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Lore legendary. "Crafting" a legendary weapon/item doesn't make it that epic.
    It's more about the rumors of that "amazing uber super sword that makes things go insane". Hearing about something legendary, tracking it down and getting it is way more exciting than simply making it.

But that's me!

Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    I prefer the crafted legend, simply because I feel some lore items are too important or powerful for players to obtain.
    Very much this. The problem with lore legendarys is while really cool, it was kind of weird seeing 4 of a "legendary" one of a kind item, It kind of devalued the legendary because it's not unique. I feel like the cloaks were a really nice symbol of the time invested in a character and didn't need to be hammered into the lore as significantly, i wouldn't use the word legendary to describe them though, nor would i use the term epic.

I realise it's just a word and what i associate that word to mean but i think a new title would befit items that have had a lot of time placed into them as the term legendary means famous, well known or that it is more unique. Something more descriptive of the time investment such as Aoristic or in reference to its power Supreme or keeping to the idea of status, fabled are a few suggestions I'd make.

Crafted legend because Lore legend is lorebreaking. What if there was a WC4 someday after WOW? Who would have the weapon? You can't just say "an adventurer has it." That's overly ambiguous and why Lore legends can't stay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crafted legendary. You are involved in the story and know the weapon's background, which is immersive. And more importantly, you can also make progress towards the item each week, and it feels like a project your raid is working cooperatively together on, and will feel proud and accomplished when finished. In contrast, a random drop just feels like a giant "fuck you" from the loot gods when it is week 51 and you still haven't seen the fucking thing. And even when you do see it, it doesn't really feel as special since you didn't really do anything but get lucky.

Crafted legendaries are hard to execute right because they need to be the right balance of time-consuming without it being so reliant on RNG collection pieces that being unlucky can put you in the situation where you go the entire tier without finishing (we were in TOC when we finished our Ulduar mace, for example). Historically, Blizzard has had some take too long and some go too quickly. I like when the pieces drop quicker in heroic, but are still available in normal. I like when they require some actual crafted component (like Thunderfury) or scenarios/non-raid challenges to complete (like Firelands staff or our cloak). I also really liked how Shadowmourne allowed you to get that box with the mount/tabard/toys so you could also reward your raidmates for their contribution -- as no current legendary is a solo project -- or fund the guild. It would be nice if crafting it included the raid in unique cut scenes and storyline information so everyone could feel apart of it even if they weren't the one on the quest, which unfortunately hasn't really been the case with any of the current legendary. The ideal legendary would be something that had all of those things.

I will say, one thing I did like about this expansion's cloak is:

(a) the very long, complex, storyline that lasted the duration of the expansion.
    (b) that you completed it very early in the tier rather than at the end of it when you barely had any time to use it.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Voted crafted, but what I prefer is even more specific.

Shadowmourne? Yes.

Cloaks? Fuck no.

I prefer the lore-like legendary. So I voted that.

But: I would like to say that if such a "lore-legendary" became available - I would really like to craft it back to it's former glory. And as such it should be broken when you first get it. You'd need some über quest to complete it. And not just one either.

This questsaga should include:
    1. 5 man heroic quests (defeat a certain boss usually unavailable unless you are on that quest or defeat a boss in a certain way to get some essence from them)
    2. grinding for materials in the outside world (these should be materials that are pretty rare and only obtainable while on the quest = questitem/no AH)
    3. do some raids to get some major pieces to repair the broken legendary (every raid difficulty has an increase in dropping these materials and mythic should be 100% or not but high)
    4. crafting the item itself should require a special place - Inside Ironforge (the great forge, with the help of X) or inside Scholomance or an old raid even. As long as the location could have something to do with the weapon.

It should be lorewise... Just crafting something is dumb. Yay, you got a new item with a high itemlevel and its orange!!! Way immersion!!!
    It should have a story. Perhaps even viewable in Caverns of Time where you help the hero or heroin in their quest to use the legendary to defeat someone. You'll also see it shattered and know why it is or was important. This adds to immersion.

I think it is a shame how so many people these days do not "need" immersion. Why play a game such as this one? Why not go FPS? Or why not go for a racing game? Or "beat em up" game? RPG's inherently need immersion. Why else would you accept grinding so much?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I believe the Ulduar legendary kinda got obsolete by the time ICC HM rolled around...?
    Yeah sorta. I had that mace and had almost full ICC heroic 25 man gear when I quit before killing LK. That mace was uber in Ulduar but who actually got to use it much in Ulduar? Most guilds/players got the mace in the end of that tier with everything on farm I guess, just like me. So in TotC it was pretty damn good and designed for it. ICC not so much, but I stuck with that item since it had prestige and I loved seeing the bubbles. Also healing weapons did not drop that much in ICC for our team so I gladly passed any of them.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like the crafted lore legendaries, but I'd like to see the return of the rare drops. The last one was Thori'dal, and it'd be cool to see another drop. I hope they eventually bring the Crown of King Menethil into the game as promised at Blizzcon. It'd work well in an expansion involving Sylvanas/Lordaeron/Quel'thalas as part of a secondary plot.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

I voted Lore items, but really I want both. They could alternate between them.

And no more cloak animations that can't be turned off, damn that thing is annoying. 25 cloaks procing is just awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    I like the crafted legendaries, but prefer elements of Lore to it. Like Thunderfury, Sulfuras and Valanyr (I forget where the apostrophe is supposed to go).
    Where you're gathering fragments of a powerful weapon then repairing and/or infusing it with the essence of a powerful being etc, or trying to build a new weapon to help overcome a mighty foe.
    I'm not keen on the warglaives style - where you just might get lucky with a super low drop rate and BOOM, legendary.
    Main thing for me is that sense of a guild working together to help one of their raiders put it together and getting an interesting story a long the way.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Subduer View Post
    It's an example of Blizzard fucking things up. That healing mace should've been kept BiS for the entire expansion, but at the time Blizzard was suddenly so obsessed with extremely inclusive design that they were scared of making people feel like they might have to keep doing Ulduar once a week, their best raiddungeon by far. If they had given Yogg0 and Algalon BiS geardrops for the remainder of the expansion it would've made guilds feel as if they always had some very hard content to work on even after they might've cleared ICC HC, and then they might've not had to cram in Ruby Sanctum at the end either.

WotLK was the period of casual and inclusive endgame design extremism. They saw it sucked. So they've been making many changes since. I think, or I hope, that they've learned from all their mistakes at least and that by WoD they'll know how to design a legendary and how to keep it relevant for longer than a raidtier. MoP was alright, but... a legendary super low% drops from raiddungeons should also be included imo, at least in the 2nd to last raidtier and the last raidtier so people can have some fun during the next year contentdraught.
    So true. I felt sorta let down by the fact that the mace wasn't as good in ICC as it was in TotC or Ulduar.
    Legendaries should be for an entire expansion. Oh well guess we have a pointless discussion about that, since the wellfare legendary is in place right now. Can't logically give someone a cloak at the first or second tier and let em use it for an entire expansion. Might aswell get rid of cloaks then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lore. Crafted "legendary" isn't legendary if everyone has one.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

The cloak's pretty much nailed it perfectly how legendary should be handled, just sad that it took 8 years to get the model for how to handle legendary items finished and done the right way.

Nothing beats a creation period that will span over 3 tiers before it is finished.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Subduer View Post
    It's an example of Blizzard fucking things up. That healing mace should've been kept BiS for the entire expansion, but at the time Blizzard was suddenly so obsessed with extremely inclusive design that they were scared of making people feel like they might have to keep doing Ulduar once a week, their best raiddungeon by far. If they had given Yogg0 and Algalon BiS geardrops for the remainder of the expansion it would've made guilds feel as if they always had some very hard content to work on even after they might've cleared ICC HC, and then they might've not had to cram in Ruby Sanctum at the end either.

WotLK was the period of casual and inclusive endgame design extremism. They saw it sucked. So they've been making many changes since. I think, or I hope, that they've learned from all their mistakes at least and that by WoD they'll know how to design a legendary and how to keep it relevant for longer than a raidtier. MoP was alright, but... a legendary super low% drops from raiddungeons should also be included imo, at least in the 2nd to last raidtier and the last raidtier so people can have some fun during the next year contentdraught.

Those 1% drops arent fun trust me on that they always leave some people getting screwed hardcore out of gear. And personally i have had enough of Guild master legendaries in this game seen it so many times and it always fails in regards to best progression.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    The cloak's pretty much nailed it perfectly how legendary should be handled, just sad that it took 8 years to get the model for how to handle legendary items finished and done the right way.

Nothing beats a creation period that will span over 3 tiers before it is finished.
    Well opinion opinion... But really there is nothing legendary about an item if everyone has one.

but that was covered by a lot of people already one side argueing that it is the best thing ever since legendary doesn't or should not mean "only a select few have one" vs the other side that wants the prestige and want it to be something you could potentially have if you're lucky or a guild willing.

Nothing beats a creation period that will span over 3 tiers before it is finished? Are you kidding me? If I wanted an item and I had the time to put in, I would not want to wait 1/1.5 years to get it due to "gating" behind patches. If I had the time I would want it as soon as I can.

So if the work would take a 7 full play days, I would be done within 3/4 weeks and have one. With the current system you can't. Which sucks immensely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Those 1% drops arent fun trust me on that they always leave some people getting screwed hardcore out of gear. And personally i have had enough of Guild master legendaries in this game seen it so many times and it always fails in regards to best progression.
    Actually I was GM of such a guild and got it. You know how I got it? We had a debate about it. How did we go about it?
    1. who was there the longest in the guild
    2. who was always there for the raids
    3. what role/class benefits the most
    4. what chance was there that player X would leave within the time the legendary would be current
    5. what skill has player X compared to other candidates

Ultimately we had 3 people to choose from. These 2 other people said: Vael you take it mate.

Any legendary thereafter (since it was never again a healing item) I gladly passed to the right person. And it was never again an officer or GM.

Guilds whose management gives it to themselves by default are imo BAD.

The Shadowmourne series was the best. It incorporated the various different wings in differing ways, had you go through various tasks and made you actually use it to make it more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    The Shadowmourne series was the best. It incorporated the various different wings in differing ways, had you go through various tasks and made you actually use it to make it more powerful.
    Think you're right. I like Val'ynar best I guess because I got it. Ultimately you needed to do a lot of hardmodes in Ulduar if you wanted a high chance of items dropping for it. Normal modes were just too slow. But I did love the fact that the hammer had to be thrown into the mouth of Yogg which was a very very frantic moment for me finally we did it ofc. I think you needed Yogg with a few lights out. That was difficult for us because we at the time weren't that experienced with Yogg yet and we never tried it without or fewer lights.

Compared to that fight vs that Sindragosa battle or the Bloodqueen, I dare say that this was a bit more difficult. But the biting thing on Bloodqueen was a lot of fun.

Like the cloak quest but harder, where you'd have to kill the last boss on heroic (mythic) and the item would be a 100% drop. And wouldn't hurt if it was actually legendary.