Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Your kindness could kill - campaign in U.K aimed at begging

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...blic_%20urged/

Link to campaign:http://www.yourkindnesscouldkill.org.uk/index.htm

Liverpool people are being warned that misplaced generosity could be condemning beggars to an early death.

A hard-hitting campaign "your kindness could kill” is being launched to advise people not to give money to people begging on the city’s streets.

It points that many of those who beg have drug or alcohol addictions and the money they receive from passers-by goes on feeding these addictions.

Instead people are being encouraged to donate to local charities which can provide lasting support.

"your kindness could kill" is supported by Citysafe, (Liverpool’s Community Safety partnership), Liverpool Charity and Voluntary Services (LCVS), Merseyside Police, City Central Bid. Posters for the campaign are appearing at Merseyrail stations, bus shelters and other prominent city centre locations. Information about the campaign is available at www.yourkindnesscouldkill.org.uk

Councillor Peter Brennan, the Mayoral Lead on Community Safety, said: "Liverpool people are renowned for their generosity and their first instinct when they see somebody who is struggling or in need is to put their hands in their pockets and help them – and they will feel that especially so at this time of year."

"But, without realising it, they are keeping beggars in their way of life which will result in the majority of them feeding an addiction and not addressing their underlying problems. All have been offered help but have refused to take up that offer."

"We are not saying to people to turn their backs on beggars nor are we judging them but we are saying there is a better way to help. We know there are a lot of demands on people’s money but there will be collections for four local charities - the Whitechapel Centre, the Basement, Young People’s Advisory Service (YPAS) and the Liverpool Homeless Football Team."

"The fund is being administered by LCVS and money raised will be split equally between the four charities who can provide lasting support and if you can help please do so.”

Merseyside Police’s Area Commander for Liverpool North, Chief Superintendent Jon Ward said: "We recognise that many people on our streets need help and we are supporting the "your kindness could kill” campaign. We work closely with partners in charitable organisations to ensure these people get the help that they need and are treated fairly.”

Official collectors will be in the city centre on Thursday evenings and Saturday afternoons before Christmas and there will be collection boxes at locations around the city centre including at several city centre businesses.

People who are approached or see people begging on the streets are being advised to contact No Second Night Out on 0300 123 2041 and support will be offered to the individuals to help them get off the streets.
    How do you feel about this? Is this the right way to go about it?

The situation is only going to get worse - especially now that essential funding to all sorts of helpful initiatives, projects and support systems has been cut across the board which will likely lead to an increase in people living on the streets.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me it sounds like they want the money.

A lot of money that goes to charities ends up in others peoples pockets. (and advertising)
    If you donate..you donate food or cloth. Never a money.

As for beggars that buy alcohol and drugs. They could easy make a law that if a shopkeeper sells this person a alcohol he/she needs to pay loads of cash as punisment. (for drugs there is police).
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    When I buy my lunch I sometimes buy an extra sandwich or something else and give it to the first homeless person I see, The bottom line is that I don't know them well enough to trust them with money.

That being said, I would say the vast majority of the beggars where I live are Romanians who just sit on the street begging and stealing and being general scum-bags until they go back to their homes paid for by our taxes.

The polish came here, sure they begged a little but after a few years they opened shops, got jobs, I personally know someone who received the top marks out of my whole entire school and he was polish(He came to my country and couldn't speak a word of English and now he is in Oxford University), I have so much respect for the way they immigrated here, they properly made something of themselves.

I don't think I have met ONE Romanian in my home country that wasn't doing something they aren't supposed to do, I hate the fact that deep down there is a tiny notion of what could be racism but the fact is that I haven't met one person from their community who has been giving back from which they have took so much.

'Liverpool people are renowned for their generosity'

i'm sorry what? LOL this reporter has never been to liverpool...
    Oceanic spriest, thanks blizz for giving us aus servers. 9/9 mythic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmias View Post

They are generous indeed when it comes to helping themselves to your cars wheel rims.

Quote Originally Posted by Simmias View Post

If people ignore the ridiculous stereotypes (which at this point are pretty old and irrelevant) then they'd find that Liverpool is indeed a very friendly place, albeit with a few bad apples here and there just like anywhere else.

Deleted
    Reminds me of this, I don't think there could be a better fit:

To add to it, I don't trust charities unfortunately, most charities are essentially a very bloated money sieve, with tons of red tape, people and bureaucracy by the time your 10 pounds gets to a homeless person its more like 10p.

I also usually dont give money to beggars, if I see someone asking for money, ill ask them what they want it for, if they usually say food, ill just go and buy them some food. On rare occasions I do give them money, yeah sometimes it can end up being used for alcohol or drugs, but its still for them to spend it rather than me helping to pay the salary of 100 people who's job is basically bureaucracy, so that some poor person somewhere MAY eventually get a really small cut of it.
    Last edited by mmoc3bea1d4ff7; 2014-07-29 at 01:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Firstly, Mooneye, why are you reading the Bournemouth Echo?

Secondly, the problem a lot of beggars face in the UK is that people often don't believe they are actually needy - there was a story a few years back about a Big Issue seller in Kingston that was driving a brand new BMW (Big Issue is a charity magazine that homeless people sell and make a small commission on each one sold), and you hear all the horror stories of (how shall I put this) certain immigrants being professional beggars.

Those things put doubt in peoples minds about every beggar, so people may be more willing to give money to a charity that they know will only go to help those who are in need, in which case it's a good thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Firstly, Mooneye, why are you reading the Bournemouth Echo?
    What's wrong with that?

10+ Year Old Account
    The walmart nearest my house has had buskers, standing next to gas cans at the parking lot entrances, for a while now.

Same guys, mix of young/old and every ethnicity.

People are hurting and it's going to get ugly.

Not all homeless people are drunks.

That's a gross exageration based on stereotyping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    What's wrong with that?
    Bournemouth is famous as a place where people go to retire - my mother, aunt and grandparents all live(d) near there - it just seems a bit of an odd thing for you to have been reading.

Deleted
    Every time my brother goes to town he picks up 2 sausage rolls, one for himself for lunch and another to give to any homeless people he comes across.

The problem we have in our town is they may not have drug or alcohol addictions, instead we have people that aren't homeless that just sit in crappy clothes and try to get money off kind people. (I've seen more than one guy begging for money when he has a phone), so I'm sorry, but if you are on the streets who could you possibly be texting? And if you are begging for money which I am sure they claim is for food or clothes, you would sell your phone. So stop lying.

This whole thing could be a lie as others have stated that it might not even go to charities, but we have lots of homeless shelters that get loads of volunteers and loads of people that donate clothes, it's just hard to tell if charity money ever gets anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesius Baelthar View Post
    If people ignore the ridiculous stereotypes (which at this point are pretty old and irrelevant) then they'd find that Liverpool is indeed a very friendly place, albeit with a few bad apples here and there just like anywhere else.

wanker.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2014-07-29 at 01:54 PM.
    Oceanic spriest, thanks blizz for giving us aus servers. 9/9 mythic.

Better let them starve in case they buy drugs then.

10+ Year Old Account
    First thing I'd do is investigate my towns local charity services. I do not give my money to big charities because I've seen what happens to it.

Once I'm content in how local charities help people, like food donations or shelters, only then do I give to charities.

It's far better doing this, or even spending time in one of these shelters helping out to get an idea of what they do, talking to the people who go there, the giving to a super large charity who's money goes into the pocket of asshole business men, or corrupt politicians.
    #boycottchina

I would say the vast majority of the beggars where I live are Romanians who just sit on the street begging and stealing and being general scum-bags until they go back to their homes paid for by our taxes.
    Last edited by dummliujin; 2014-07-29 at 02:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Better let them starve in case they buy drugs then.
    Pretty much the only ways someone could starve in the UK is if they are determined not to eat, or somebody kidnaps them and starves them.

We have a huge welfare system, we're not some Third World nation (apart from Seven Sisters).