Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Speculation] Wrathion's Self-Fulfilling Prophecy

Spoilers abound in here for both War Crimes and WoD quest content. You have been warned!

So I've had this theory for a little while now and I'd like to see what others thing about it. I'm sure everyone remembers Wrathion's prophecy way back in 5.0 when we started the Legendary Cloak quest chain. He explained that a great evil is coming and it will wipe out Azeroth. Judging by the image of Infernals raining down from the sky, it's probably safe to say he's talking about the Burning Legion, I think most people agree on that assessment.

Throughout the expansion, he allied with both sides in the Horde vs. Alliance war, though we learned in 5.4 that in secret he was backing the Horde to win as the stronger side, right up until Garrosh went psycho-bonkers-crazy and caused a civil war within his own faction. At this point, Wrathion switched to backing the Alliance until Varian let him down by not attempting to overthrow the Horde leadership after the defeat of Garrosh. This leads Wrathion (in War Crimes) to release Garrosh and kickstart the entire Warlords of Draenor expansion by using Kairoz to free Garrosh and send him back to Draenor to form the Iron Horde. Either Wrathion believes the Iron Horde would make better rulers (and thus protectors) of Azeroth for the coming troubles ahead than a divided Horde and Alliance, or he believe that a common enemy like that will bring Horde and Alliance together into one united force.

That's what we know so far.

I'm beginning to wonder though if Wrathion's prophecy of a Burning Legion invasion will turn out to be a self-fulfilling one. Obviously, the Iron Horde are going to be defeated in WoD (we already know from 6.0 alone that the vast majority of the Warlords will be eliminated, culminating in Blackhand being killed in Blackrock Foundry at the end of the raid tier). I think it's safe to say in future patches we're going to deal with Tanaan Jungle, the Black Citadel and Grommash. And we're still going to be fighting non-stop in Ashran. So whichever version you bet on, Wrathion's plan is going to fail. Some have assumed that this will simply mean he will get angry with us and end up going insane or whatever and somehow being linked to the end boss of the expansion.

What if it turns out that Gul'dan - who we know has already been in contact with the Burning Legion in AU Draenor - escapes back to our MU Azeroth and is the catalyst for summoning the Legion to OUR Azeroth. This has been something a lot of people have speculated, I know. Seems like a likely possibility, since Blizzard mentioned that WoD will lead directly into the next expansion.

But as a side effect of this, it turns out, that by sending Garrosh back to the AU so he could build the Iron Horde and defend Azeroth from the Burning Legion... Wrathion actually facilitates the return of the Legion by allowing Gul'dan to escape to our universe. The Legion would never have been able to get back to Azeroth in force (any time soon at least) if Wrathion hadn't inadvertently released one of the most powerful Warlocks we've ever known back into our world.

Can you imagine Wrathion's reaction upon realising this? Everything he's worked nearly his entire life, since Deathwing was killed at least, has only managed to cause the very tragedy he's worked to prevent? Perhaps this will finally be the kick up the arse he needs to realise that the end doesn't always justify the means, and he'll finally become a force for good? Or perhaps he will be driven insane, and become a raid boss after all?
    Last edited by Krekko; 2014-08-21 at 03:01 AM.

If I was a writer looking to close up the expansion arc neatly, that's what I'd do. Now that we've firmly established the contents of your post aren't going to happen, I think the Burning Legion's going to invade MU Azeroth directly. The Warlords who remain after the perfunctory raids wipe out a bunch of them will join the Main Universe Horde as the Burning Legion turns Draenor into a staging ground for invasion.

Big plot reveals: The Burning Legion are aware that there are multiple timelines, but lack the power to open portals between timelines.

The Legion cannot be dealt with until Azshara is dealt with. I had a similar idea yesterday. Azshara is linked up with N'Zoth, The Old Gods DO NOT WANT THE LEGION ON AZEROTH.

Azshara will not let The Legion come without dealing with her first.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just hope we put down that insufferable whelp once and for all while he screams mercy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepwny View Post
    I just hope we put down that insufferable whelp once and for all while he screams mercy.
    I like this idea. Just add shoving his own turban down his throat to that.

Deleted
    I really hope Wrathion never becomes a Raid Boss. He's got a lot of potential as an anti-hero. So this sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kae View Post
    This leads Wrathion (in War Crimes) to release Garrosh and kickstart the entire Warlords of Draenor expansion by using Kairoz to free Garrosh and send him back to Draenor to form the Iron Horde. Wrathion believes the Iron Horde would make better rulers (and thus protectors) of Azeroth for the coming troubles ahead than a divided Horde and Alliance.
    Did War Crimes specifically say that's why he did it? I know I guessed that in the past, but I hadn't heard it confirmed.

But as a side effect of this, it turns out, that by sending Garrosh back to the AU so he could build the Iron Horde and defend Azeroth from the Burning Legion... Wrathion actually facilitates the return of the Legion by allowing Gul'dan to escape to our universe. The Legion would never have been able to get back to Azeroth in force (any time soon at least) if Wrathion hadn't inadvertently released one of the most powerful Warlocks we've ever known back into our world.

Can you imagine Wrathion's reaction upon realising this? Everything he's worked nearly his entire life, since Deathwing was killed at least, has only managed to cause the very tragedy he's worked to prevent? Perhaps this will finally be the kick up the arse he needs to realise that the end doesn't always justify the means, and he'll finally become a force for good? Or perhaps he will be driven insane, and become a raid boss after all?
    That was my guess some time back as well. It still lines up from what I know. I think it would be a good way to handle everything right now, and it would be a lot more interesting for Wrathion's character than just having him continue to be some vague guy with sketchy motives. I'd just hope it would force him to reconsider his arrogance, rather than just becoming another insane black dragon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    Did War Crimes specifically say that's why he did it? I know I guessed that in the past, but I hadn't heard it confirmed.
    I don't think it outright says in the text in explicit words, but it's very heavily implied because I think he says something about the Horde and Alliance letting him down, and having to turn to someone else. He says that his actions are for the greater good and it's the only way to make sure Azeroth survives. So it's a fairly safe bet that he frees Garrosh because he thinks Garrosh (and the heroes of the old Horde) will be able to do that.

There is one other option though, which I have considered. It seems a little bit convoluted, but it's possible that he frees Garrosh to build the Iron Horde because he thinks that in battling the Iron Horde the Alliance & Horde will come out stronger on the other side, and this whole thing was just reverse psychology so he could strengthen our factions. But I think that seems the most unlikely of the two options because he's so angry about Varian not occupying Orgrimmar, and so adamant about the Horde and Alliance not being strong enough while they aren't one faction, that I can't really see him suddenly doing a 180 and accepting that we are the right choice without anything dramatic changing his mind.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is one other option though, which I have considered. It seems a little bit convoluted, but it's possible that he frees Garrosh to build the Iron Horde because he thinks that in battling the Iron Horde the Alliance & Horde will come out stronger on the other side, and this whole thing was just reverse psychology so he could strengthen our factions. But I think that seems the most unlikely of the two options because he's so angry about Varian not occupying Orgrimmar, and so adamant about the Horde and Alliance not being strong enough while they aren't one faction, that I can't really see him suddenly doing a 180 and accepting that we are the right choice without anything dramatic changing his mind.
    Certainly likely considering Blizzard seems to be under the illusion that constant war is actually beneficial for both sides of the conflict. But then again, we have this:

"Tong the Fixer was infuriated with his constant speaking and his lack of understanding of the lessons of Pandaria. Tong said that the Alliance and the Horde are not strong despite each other, they are strong because of one another. Wrathion thinks he's just a fool waiter, and starts walking out the Tavern and proclaimed for the battle to come, he will leave nothing to chance."

Wrathion seems to agree with me while Blizzard(=Tong) claims that Horde and Alliance get stronger when slaughtering each others' citizens. It certainly possible, however, that Wrathion "learned" his lesson and wishes to use the Iron Horde (the greatest threat Azeroth has ever face) to strengthen the Alliance/Horde coalition. I guess Ashran is a way to prepare ourselves for the Iron Horde.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, like I said, I think this is a possible version for sure (as you say, knowing Blizzard!) but it just seems a little odd that - considering he storms out at the end of the legendary quest chain in such anger at the Alliance for not wiping out the Horde - somehow between Siege of Orgrimmar and War Crimes he completely changes his mind and decides that there's hope for us yet, and that by giving us (another) common enemy suddenly we'll be worthy.

Though, it could be he knows something about the Iron Horde that we don't, and knows that it will somehow bring the two factions together against the Legion, or it could just be bad writing. I personally would prefer my first version but... yeah, this is possible too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    The Legion cannot be dealt with until Azshara is dealt with. I had a similar idea yesterday. Azshara is linked up with N'Zoth, The Old Gods DO NOT WANT THE LEGION ON AZEROTH.

Azshara will not let The Legion come without dealing with her first.
    Actually the opposite. They DO want the legion on Azeroth as the legion would break their prisons and likely become pawns of the old gods. Demons can be manipulated. C'thun killed a titan and it is written that the old gods can make Sargeras beg for death. I also think it was written that there was some old god manipulation in making the highborne (and azshara) want to summon the legion that started WOTA as well.

I really like your theory a lot and think it could be very close to that. However, its also important to remember Blizz has had a common pattern for how they do xpacs.

The middle tier of the xpac is thematically different from the rest, somewhat related story wise, but still different. In Wrath Naxx and ICC were obviously very similar. But Ulduar wasn't. Neither was ToC really. Important to the story yes, but thematically, not fighting undead.

Same with Cata. Firelands had nothing to do with shadow and Dragons.

For MoP, ToT was thematically different and followed a different plot than SoO and T14. (While there was MsV, it didn't really fit into any larger story. It was more there I think just to fit the "tomb raiders of unknown land" genre)

So going with that, I highly doubt the 2nd tier is Orcs or Ogres in WoD. If it was, it'd be far too much industrial Orcish architecture. They just won't do that by their track record.

I think what is more likely is Tanaan is conquered and Kilrogg (I assume he lives as his base is in Tanaan) dies in 6.1, we get some intermediate interesting but not extremely relevant to the overall theme tier, (best guess at this moment is the third Arrakoa deity who doesn't die, the other 2 do ) followed by the Legion invasion of Azeroth in 6.3 and 4.

As a note: every single xpac has ended in "odd" places barring Wrath. BC, we spent all our time in Outland and ended on Quel'delas. Cata ended in Northrend (mostly). MoP ended in Org. I'd consider it pretty unlikely WoD ends on Draenor. (However I wouldn't mind a defense of Karabor finale)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    I think what is more likely is Tanaan is conquered and Kilrogg (I assume he lives as his base is in Tanaan) dies in 6.1, we get some intermediate interesting but not extremely relevant to the overall theme tier, (best guess at this moment is the third Arrakoa deity who doesn't die, the other 2 do ) followed by the Legion invasion of Azeroth in 6.3 and 4.

As a note: every single xpac has ended in "odd" places barring Wrath. BC, we spent all our time in Outland and ended on Quel'delas. Cata ended in Northrend (mostly). MoP ended in Org. I'd consider it pretty unlikely WoD ends on Draenor. (However I wouldn't mind a defense of Karabor finale)
    I see what you're saying, though how would you predict Grommash fits into things in your scenario?

I never specified exactly that the Citadel would necessarily be the 6.2 raid. I think it's very likely they will open Tanaan as a questing area in 6.1 (making us wait longer than that to finish the mainland continent would be unwise from a gameplay PoV) but while we are likely to fight off the Iron Horde in Tanaan during 6.1, I still think it's likely that one of the raid tiers will likely feature Grom's Citadel in the middle of Tanaan. Unless they just make it some kind of dungeon hub, or a one-boss mini raid, I guess.

One thing's for sure, I am 99.99% sure Grom won't survive this expansion. Either he will become fully corrupt and we will kill him, or he'll momentarily join us and get a death in parallel to his death in the MU... I really can't see him surviving!

Either way, doesn't really change my theory about Wrathion. Whatever order the raids come in, I believe we will get some kind of preliminary Legion invasion at the end of this expansion. I don't think Blizzard will do back-to-back Alternative Universe expansions, and I also don't think they will remake Azeroth again Cata-style with the aftermath of a legion invasion... so the most likely scenario is that we get a legion attack to deal with as the final content of WoD, and then in the following expansion we take the fight to them instead (Argus, perhaps, or some other planet).

Of course, they could throw a total curve-ball, and delay the whole legion thing for another expansion, but I still think Gul'dan is going to play a part in that, and is going to give Wrathion a headache when he realises he's the one who brought Gul'dan back!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilalia View Post
    Actually the opposite. They DO want the legion on Azeroth as the legion would break their prisons and likely become pawns of the old gods. Demons can be manipulated. C'thun killed a titan and it is written that the old gods can make Sargeras beg for death. I also think it was written that there was some old god manipulation in making the highborne (and azshara) want to summon the legion that started WOTA as well.
    nope nope and nope
    old silly lore that will get retconned

I think Grom will drink the kool-aid.

(If you know Tanaan opening, spoiler is safe) he used Fel energy to power the Dark Portal. While they were captive, he clearly didn't have Garrosh's absolute hatred of it.

I have no idea if Grom will repeat what happened in MU and how he sacrificed himself or if he will remain evil till the end, but I think at some point he will ally himself with Gul'dan. Once Garrosh is out of the way (I assume this will happen at some point) (this spoiler isn't safe) yes I know he dies in Tanaan nothing will hold Grom back from working with the Legion.

From what I understand of the story, only Garrosh made them hate Warlocks, Grom has no knowledge of the danger and will become desperate for more power once his industry in Gorgrond is destroyed.

I do agree with the Wrathion part for the record.

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly have no idea how that citadel will work. I could see them making it be destroyed in some epic story quest chain somehow in 6.1.

I could see it being involved in a final tier involving us trying to stop the Legion going through the portal, but to me that seems unlikely as it'd involve about all of 4 bosses.

[
    Last edited by Krazzorx; 2014-08-01 at 02:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually agree with the Grom and the kool-aid thing. I'm not sure when it will happen, but I believe that after 6.0 and 6.1, the Iron Horde will be essentially decimated, and all the Warlords by then will be dead save Grom himself (who I expected to be holed up somewhere like in the Citadel, his last bastion of defence). Then Gul'dan comes along, tells Grom the only way he will be able to get out of this is to go full demon, and offers him the blood again.

Boombang, corrupted Grom for a raid boss.

Whether this happens in 6.2 as the second tier of raids, or in "6.4" as the final tier of raids, I don't know. I doubt Grom will be fought in a dungeon, but he may not be the "final" boss in such a raid, especially if it's 6.4 and the rest of the raid is heavily Legion centred (with an even bigger end boss like Kil'jaedan/Gul'dan/Mannoroth/Medivh/Avatar of Sargeras or whatever).

To me, having the Grom raid in 6.2 and getting rid of the Iron Horde then and there makes the most sense but... I totally can see what you mean about them liking the middle raid to be totally unrelated to the previous one, and two orc raids in a row would probably be boring (though they could differentiate the Grom raid by making it demon-heavy instead of orc-heavy, if he drinks the blood).

Although they could throw a curve-ball on us, I suppose, and release 3 raid tiers (unlikely) or split the 6.2/6.4 raid tiers into multiple different raids like they are in 6.0. For example, could have a 6 boss Arrakoa raid and a 6-7 boss Citadel raid. Too early to say at this point what they will do.

I guess that's all a little off-topic anyways, was mostly speculating about what will happen at the -end- of the expansion, regardless of in what order ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrathion using the Iron Horde to kill both the Alliance and Horde to save Azeroth makes no sense. Saving a planet but killing all its inhabitants?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickmagnus View Post
    Wrathion using the Iron Horde to kill both the Alliance and Horde to save Azeroth makes no sense. Saving a planet but killing all its inhabitants?
    As a black dragon, Wrathion is attuned to the earth and the physical planet itself. He's not overly attached to the life living on it (that would make him a red dragon).

In his eyes, the Burning Legion wants to DESTROY the planet, which is the worst thing he can imagine. If the current inhabitants of the planet aren't willing to do what Wrathion sees as being necessary to defend his planet, then I imagine he'd be happy to find new inhabitants who will. The Iron Horde, under Garrosh's guidance, want to occupy Azeroth and not destroy it. And Garrosh hates demons. Sounds perfect for Wrathion.

But if you're not happy with that explanation, my response in post #8 does offer a more cheesy alternative possibility, which I hope isn't the case but could be the other way I think it could go.

What if Gul'dan goes to our outland, loots Illidan, and uses his own skull's power to open a portal for the Burning Legion to invade?!?!

That's so silly it just might work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Gul'dan in a Gul'dan.

Gul'ception.