10+ Year Old Account

Satanists Want to Use Hobby Lobby Decision to Exempt Women from Anti-Abortion Laws

In a statement, the Satanic Temple said that it will use the Supreme Court’s recent Hobby Lobby decision to exempt its believers from state-mandated informed consent laws that require women considering abortions to read pro-life material.

Informed consent or “right to know” laws state that women seeking elective abortions be provided with information about alternatives to the procedure, often couched in language that attempts to personify the fetus. According to the Guttmacher Institute, 35 states currently have informed consent laws, and of those, 33 require that the woman be told the gestational age of the fetus.

In some states, that information consists of pro-life propaganda that links abortion to a higher incidence of breast and ovarian cancers, or discusses “post-abortion syndrome,” a mental condition not recognized by any major medical or psychiatric organization.

Because the Satanic Temple bases its belief “regarding personal health…on the best scientific understanding of the world, regardless of the religious or political beliefs of others,” it claims that state-mandated information with no basis in scientific fact violates its “religious” beliefs.

Spokesperson Lucien Greaves said that the Supreme Court’s recent Hobby Lobby decision bolsters their case. “While we feel we have a strong case for an exemption regardless of the Hobby Lobby ruling,” he said, “the Supreme Court has decided that religious beliefs are so sacrosanct that they can even trump scientific fact. This was made clear when they allowed Hobby Lobby to claim certain contraceptives were abortifacients, which in fact they are not.”

The Satanic Temple set up a website where women seeking an abortion can print out a letter for her healthcare provider explaining why she is exempt from informed consent mandates.

The letter reads that “[a]ll women who share our deeply held belief that their personal choices should be made with access to the best available information, undiluted by biased or false information, are free to seek protection with this exemption whether they are members of the Satanic Temple or not.”
    Story Here

How very interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Good for them, Satanists have a bad rep even though they are mostly good people, they will be taken more seriously if they changed the name though.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Good for them, Satanists have a bad rep even though they are mostly good people, they will be taken more seriously if they changed the name though.
    Do you have a idea for a better name rich?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Luciferians.

10+ Year Old Account
    We had 2 closed threads about this. I guess third times the charm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not-big-red-and-horned-and-totally-cool-to-talk-to-ism!

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    OH THE IRONY!!! Well done sir.

Didn't we just have one of these the other day?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Luciferians.
    That's actually not bad at all.

Morningstars (or any derivatives thereof).

On topic: it doesn't really surprise me, and I find it damn funny they're using religious laws against those that made them.

Satanists aren't blood-drinking baby-killers; they just believe in taking matters into your own hands and living life to the fullest, as opposed to obeying arbitrary made-up bullshit and hampering your own happiness because someone said so a couple millennia ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    As has been stated the last several times we closed this thread, this discussion opens up far too much potential for religious discussion

Closed.