Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I heard the game has a maximum of 31 players that can be in the same instance "bubble" as you. The world is open but is limited by phasing and each phase can contain a max of 32 players so I hope you guys weren't planning on any guild vs. guild pvp fights.

Lol, even WoW, a 2005 game, allows far more than 32 players in the same place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardball View Post
    I heard the game has a maximum of 31 players that can be in the same instance "bubble" as you. The world is open but is limited by phasing and each phase can contain a max of 32 players so I hope you guys weren't planning on any guild vs. guild pvp fights.

Well that sucks. That means no:
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Well that sucks. That means no:
    Well I wouldn't have expected such enormous fights but, really, just 32 players in the same bubble in an MMO?! That's more the stuff of CoD games, not an MMO.
    Last edited by mmoc877584f10c; 2014-08-02 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    Mining was already confirmed, but now they just had a nice screen to show with it
    Sure, but most of the recent pics in newsletters are for mechanics soon to land rather than soon(TM)

I know right, WoW simulates everything at 1:1 scale with moons orbiting planets, planets orbiting their star and a system's backdrop being a correctly positioned relative to the galaxy, all while dogfighting at 200-500m/s.
    Besides, 32 people excluding NPC's will be total chaos when dogfighting eg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMKAcgx-ueQ&t=10m30s

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    Sure, but most of the recent pics in newsletters are for mechanics soon to land rather than soon(TM)

I know right, WoW simulates everything at 1:1 scale with moons orbiting planets, planets orbiting their star and a system's backdrop being a correctly positioned relative to the galaxy, all while dogfighting at 200-500m/s.
    Besides, 32 people excluding NPC's will be total chaos when dogfighting eg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMKAcgx-ueQ&t=10m30s
    Lol? Elite's environment is an empty black space with jpg white dots named "stars" and some some large spheres. It doesn't even come close to a terrestrial evironment with trees, structures, tons of npcs and tons of players in the same spot.

Lol? Elite's environment is an empty black space with jpg white dots named "stars" and some some large spheres. It doesn't even come close to a terrestrial evironment with trees, structures, tons of npcs and tons of players in the same spot.
    And look at the server farms needed to host a game like WoW. Elite is not (and has never been) about massive battles which is why they're using a hybrid server setup, ie hosted persistant data and then P2P for client <-> client based data.

So this is the moment yesterday I was talking about.

http://www.twitch.tv/geekdomo/c/4798274

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post

AfterBURNED!

The limitation isn't the graphics but the networking.
    Elite is twitch based, lag is going to be a big issue when they would have to many people in the same session.
    The choice to limit people that are near each other makes perfect sense.
    Huge pvp battles is not the focus of the game anyway, and it's more then sufficient for co-op.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol? Elite's environment is an empty black space with jpg white dots named "stars" and some some large spheres.
    The stars you see in Elite, are all the simulated locations of that star. Not a jpg background. Elite: Dangerous will have about 400,000,000,000 starsystems. It is planned that you can target a star and it tells you what star that is.

I'm playing since Premium Beta 1 and I love it. But then, the 1984 original Elite was always my favourite game and this one.... yes, it just feels like it. At least for me. I'm in hog heaven with it.
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

Quote Originally Posted by Rob D View Post
    The stars you see in Elite, are all the simulated locations of that star. Not a jpg background. Elite: Dangerous will have about 400,000,000,000 starsystems. It is planned that you can target a star and it tells you what star that is.

I'm playing since Premium Beta 1 and I love it. But then, the 1984 original Elite was always my favourite game and this one.... yes, it just feels like it. At least for me. I'm in hog heaven with it.
    400 billion... Not that more than even 1% of them will ever actually be visited... Oh wait.

OT: Elite is twitch based combat about split second adjustments and maneuvers. WoW can host hundreds of people in the same area killing things do to it's systematic command structure. Elite is basically a FPS, which has many things to calculate such as velocity, inertia, pitch, yall and roll, etc to take into account. Thus, this will make having more than 100 people barrel rolling and carpet bombing each other in Elite very, very heavily server taxing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post

Haha oh wow

10+ Year Old Account
    Even though I love Wing Commander too, I loved Elite first. Maybe that is why I am looking forward to Elite Dangerous more than Star Citizen.

Sneak peak at Beta 2.

Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    I get their newsletter each week. I'm quite looking forward to this update, should be some more stuff to do now

The updated UI looks slick.

First those interested in cheap/easy head tracking:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/how...acker?page=0,1
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    First those interested in cheap/easy head tracking:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/how...acker?page=0,1
    Interesting but I'll probably just use the hat on my joystick. ... Hehe, that sounded naughty.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Interesting but I'll probably just use the hat on my joystick. ... Hehe, that sounded naughty.
    I decided to shell out money for TrackIR and boy does it make a difference (immersion wise). Actually I ordered an Oculus Rift now, but I would definitely recommend to get yourself some tracking (even the cheap version posted). I guess it's one of those things that are 'meh, until you get one'. Maybe like a Kindle...which I still haven't bought, cause meh

Deleted
    The ship models are so bland. Is this because "beta is beta" or because "hurr durr Elite had shit ship models so the shit must go on for old times' sake"

Deleted
    The ship models are so bland. Is this because "beta is beta" or because "hurr durr Elite had shit ship models so the shit must go on for old times' sake"
    The're going mostly for realism. Also the stations...everything has it's 'function' They are rotating at...I think 0.8G as science has suggested that would be the most healthy way of living for humans.

So basically...it would be absolutely useless for a ship to look 'awesome'. Whether one likes it or not is personal choice of course.