Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Well that sucks. That means no:
    yeah.....but eve is just a spreadsheet, and even then uses time dilation.....I dont think dog fights would be that much fun if it took 10 mins to turn 90degrees or get off 1 shot of your weapons.....in the battle of 6VDT-H in eve there is a vid on time dilation, it takes 15mins to kill a bare capsule.....which is pretty much why I always default to wormhole space in eve, precisely as it gives those smaller scale engagements over large, slow, boring battles...

I'm really enjoying elite, and it can only get better. Just knocking around doing a few missions, killing any pirates that attack me (well, mostly....)

Right now, awaiting a better flightstick, and sortign out my voice attack. then it will really kick off
    Last edited by mmoc3f25629bd0; 2014-12-20 at 11:36 PM.

well i'm liking elite so far its maybe not as deep as X3 but it has various simple grinds, i haven't bothered trading things. although i haven't bothered noting the prices of stuff and checking it else where, exploration and combat are fun though, game could definitely use some love on the player interaction side, maybe the abilities to form clans or named squads, player trading perhaps, and ofc custom bounties wouldn't hurt. i was trying to find the conflict zones and start pissing off one faction and befriending another but, it seems i can't see them in eranin or dahan, the resource extraction zone in dahan is pretty good though, constant pirates spawn in there most of them are in cobras and have master/elite rank so you get 10k-20k per kill doesn't take much grinding in there. then you have the police assistance so its not just you fighting endless waves of pirates but you get some 'wingmen' too.

i'm using an adder, i was considering the cobra mk3 but i might skip it for now and save for something beefier like the asp perhaps. i noticed the insurance costs increase exponentially as you go up to more expensive ships. i mean my adder is only about 7k per death,but 300k for the asp damn. better not die.

i can play the game just fine without a joystick, i could see how one would help but, considering the game handles very similar to X3 i feel right at home with the kb/mouse. the initial sensitivity was noticable and the fact that the mouse side to side motion translates to rolling, it took a little practice but i can dog fight pretty well with the default control scheme.

my only issues with the game are mainly that its too black and white, there is no 'sorry' command, it feels very anti social theres barely any communication not just with other players but the game doesn't really say anything, the amount of times i've accidentally clipped a fed police ship that cut me up, or having them slam into me and then decide it was my fault. as soon as you get a bounty doesn't matter if its 100c or 10000000c each one is represented exactly the same. 'wanted' also if you decide to hunt pirates make sure you wait for that 'wanted' to show up on their info box, i knew a guy was wanted but i shot while it was still scanning and well it bugs the whole thing, you get fined and you only get about 100c for the kill.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-12-22 at 10:05 AM.

Ship insurance is a flat 10% of the original cost of the ship and the equipment on it. If you're a beta backer it's 5%. Alpha backers have an additional bonus that I'm not sure of. So yeah, more expensive ships will cost a lot more to get back, but it's still the same ratio.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post

*Drools*
    Lord, wife would kill me if I did that setup.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    yeah.....but eve is just a spreadsheet, and even then uses time dilation.....I dont think dog fights would be that much fun if it took 10 mins to turn 90degrees or get off 1 shot of your weapons.....
    You can have battles with thousands of other player or you can have battles in real time

*snip*

*Drools*
    Woah :O That is really cool.

Are there bounty hunter missions to take out NPC craft? I don't have the game yet (will be getting it next week when I have time off over the festive period) and I'm wondering if there's a portion of the game unavailable to those that want to play solo in their own universe.

Can you buy this game if you live in the States/Canada? Me and my friend are interested but when we go to purchase the game it shows up in Euros.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Word View Post
    BOOOOOOOORRRRIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGG!

Same reason I don't play Minecraft nor EVE. Why can't anyone make a good space-sim? They all as void of content as the space you're flying in.
    You are stupid, because this IS space sim! Not space arcade, not space invaders but DAMN GOOD space sim!

Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    Are there bounty hunter missions to take out NPC craft? I don't have the game yet (will be getting it next week when I have time off over the festive period) and I'm wondering if there's a portion of the game unavailable to those that want to play solo in their own universe.
    you can go off and randomly hunt pirates, its a bit confusing at first, what you'll see are various npc ships on 'grids' that is in areas where your not supercruising, nav becons, resource extraction zones, unidentified signatures.

from what i can tell if you want to hunt npcs or players properly you'll need a frame shift drive interdictor which pulls ships out of supercruise and into a grid that you can then scan/fight in.

some npcs and players will come up with 'wanted' which means they have a bounty on them, you can either check the contacts window on the left monitor to check the amount on that character or i haven't tried it yet but there are warrant scanners.

its very sandboxy, the missions are kinda bland in most respects it'll be kill 1-10 of x type of ship where x is usually pirates or traders, for this you also need to check the monitor because certain ships might not come with a bounty but they will be part of a pirate or other faction, if they are a pirate without a bounty you can still engage them without triggering a bounty on yourself. the pirate faction pre-fixes are around somewhere a quick google will probably show most of them. there are also tells, npc ships with frameshift interdictors, cargo scanners or hatch breakers are usually pirates. there are other tells too that i can't remember atm. you can find what subsystems a ship has by targeting it and tapping y, which cycles through their modules.

i play in open i've only been interdicted once and lost, it wasn't a big deal really (i had no bounty so the player would have had one added to him and made him more of a target, i wasn't carrying anything so he got nothing from me and i was flying an adder so it cost me basically 1 kills worth of bounties to respawn), you can play open and potentially never see another soul if you go off in specific directions, the game is massive, actually massive is an understatement the galaxy map is mind blowing.

It seems as though the missions will mainly send you to unidentified signatures, there seems to be some sort of algorithm in place that makes them pop up in space with your mission objective, like if you have a mission to find rebel data transmissions, you go to the system the mission specifies and the first or second signature you see will most probably have them inside (if your not on a mission, the signatures will be basically entirely random from ships to just cans/loot). the same can be said for combat missions. some of them also update aswell, some kill missions will be a pimped out anaconda with a 160k reward, these missions sometimes give 2 or 3 locations, when you go to these if you pick the wrong one you'll get an update telling you 'hes been spotted at X system'. although these missions are extremely hard if you don't have an equally tanked ship you'll probably get one shotted.

the only difference i can see between open and solo play is actually seeing players in the game, mostly at stations or during supercruise you'll see ships flying around just like you, in solo there will obviously be less ships, but apparently the game state updates to solo play aswell so the galaxy is basically persistent, the progress all players make is updated to everyone. although i have been reading some thread about the reputation aspect not really doing anything, like the influence of specific factions not changing when you have a whole bunch of ppl spamming missions trying to see some sort of change. i dunno enough about that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokoz View Post
    Can you buy this game if you live in the States/Canada? Me and my friend are interested but when we go to purchase the game it shows up in Euros.
    you should be able to, my main currency is GPB (£) but i buy things for euros and dollars sometimes, the transaction process should convert it for you. if you check the current exchange rates you can get a good idea of how much its gunna come out as.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-12-23 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokoz View Post
    There's a drop-down option just to the left of the cart symbol, you can chose your currency from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    you can go off and randomly hunt pirates, its a bit confusing at first, what you'll see are various npc ships on 'grids' that is in areas where your not supercruising, nav becons, resource extraction zones, unidentified signatures.

from what i can tell if you want to hunt npcs or players properly you'll need a frame shift drive interdictor which pulls ships out of supercruise and into a grid that you can then scan/fight in.
    Wonderful, thanks for the answer. I put a lot of time into Frontier:Elite 2 back in the day ('93? '94? - I'm getting too old to remember!), so quite happy to play in a sandbox rather than a theme park.

anytime, personally i didn't play the original elites but this one sort of feels like a sandboxy freespace 2 maybe its because of the ability to shift power around to the different parts of the ship.

here is a thread that will probably help you on your hunt for pirates how to spot

Deleted

*Drools*
    Not trying to harsh his buzz as he seems to have a lot of fun with it, but with A LOT less money he could just buy an Oculus Rift and have a WAY more immersive experience.
    Of course to each their own but in his setup you're still 'just' looking at a screen. Love what he did with that control panel though

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    Whenever I kill 'wanted' ships, I get a bounty on MY head and don't receive any credits :/

How do you guys make money this way?

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Whenever I kill 'wanted' ships, I get a bounty on MY head and don't receive any credits :/

How do you guys make money this way?
    Do they belong to the main faction of the given system?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Do they belong to the main faction of the given system?
    I have no idea. I lock onto them and see if they're wanted. If they're clean I leave them be, if they're wanted I intercept and kill them (assuming they're harmless, I never attack experts).

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I have no idea. I lock onto them and see if they're wanted. If they're clean I leave them be, if they're wanted I intercept and kill them (assuming they're harmless, I never attack experts).
    May sound silly but I'm wondering if you need to rescan them after you intercept them.

Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    Not trying to harsh his buzz as he seems to have a lot of fun with it, but with A LOT less money he could just buy an Oculus Rift and have a WAY more immersive experience.
    Of course to each their own but in his setup you're still 'just' looking at a screen. Love what he did with that control panel though
    He explictly stated in the description that he preferred this setup of OR because 1. OR is unfinished and not as good as he'd like and 2. he wanted something more real (ie, a mockup cockpit) then googles over his head and an imaginary one.

it was a little confusing what i wrote above, i didn't mention that you need to check the type of system your in, if its an anarchy system then you need a warrant scanner to uncover the bounty, also for those of you who haven't played yet, the bounties don't instant go into your wallet you need to go to the appropriate station to get them, sometimes you'll be gaining bounties from small factions that you can only cash in that system where you earned them. also if you die with a large bounty stacked up but not cashed in, you lose it. i think if i'm correct in anarchy systems you don't get a bounty placed on you for piracy since its anarchy. so the kill x traders in y anarchy systems don't screw you over by turning you into a pirate.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-12-23 at 08:35 PM.