10+ Year Old Account

Former Khmer Rouge Leaders On Trial For Genocide.

Khieu Samphan, the former head of state, and Nuon Chea, Pol Pot's deputy, are already on trial for war crimes and crimes against humanity.

The second trial includes a charge of genocide related to killings of Vietnamese and Cham Muslim minorities.

The cases are being tried separately to accelerate proceedings, because the defendants are elderly.

A verdict in the first case, meanwhile, is expected on 7 August. Prosecutors are seeking life sentences for the two former leaders.

The Khmer Rouge ruled Cambodia for four years, from 1975 to 1979. Up to two million people are thought to have died of starvation, overwork or by execution under the brutal Maoist regime.
    (Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28558098)

It has taken many decades, but we may finally have some justice.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2014-07-30 at 01:11 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    How is the life sentence of an already elderly man considered justice when compared to two million murders? There is literally no punishment in existence that will serve as justice for a crime like that. You could imprison every member of his family for generations and not come close to balancing the scales.

kids are still dying and losing limbs everyday there because those stupid fucks randomly put down like 5 million mines all over the countryside.

Honestly, even if they're sentenced for the rest of their lives, they've already gotten away with it.

What they did was disgusting, but are we seriously going to pretend that putting them in a jail cell for the next few years they have left is any form of justice? I'm not suggesting we kill them, but I find it silly how people think that immediately sentencing them is justice. It's not.

Their actions still greatly impact those in the region, and it's going to be a lot longer until things get sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    How is the life sentence of an already elderly man considered justice when compared to two million murders? There is literally no punishment in existence that will serve as justice for a crime like that. You could imprison every member of his family for generations and not come close to balancing the scales.
    I hope your sarcastic, if not, you have a strange sense of justice.
    Why not put in prison family of every murderer as-well?
    My main language is not english , feel free to send me a PM if i made errors that bother you , i shall try to correct it next time!
    www.Joethejoe.weebly.com

10+ Year Old Account
    When totaling the mass murder of Marxists worldwide, people often forget the Khmer Rouge.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say even though it is long overdue it will help bring in some closure and attention to what had happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forfax View Post
    I hope your sarcastic, if not, you have a strange sense of justice.
    Why not put in prison family of every murderer as-well?
    He's not saying we should put families in prison (like North Korea). He's just illustrating how big the crimes are and how little there is we can do for true justice against them. Putting them in jail is hardly satisfying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    When totaling the mass murder of Marxists worldwide, people often forget the Khmer Rouge.
    Please quote where exactly Karl Marx advocated anything those objects did.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Please quote where exactly Karl Marx advocated anything those objects did.
    when he said the word....communism

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    kids are still dying and losing limbs everyday there because those stupid fucks randomly put down like 5 million mines all over the countryside.
    Not to defend the Khmer Rouge but...they were far from the only ones to do that?

I think they did plenty of horrible things all by themselves for several life sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by madmanx View Post
    Not to defend the Khmer Rouge but...they were far from the only ones to do that?

I think they did plenty of horrible things all by themselves for several life sentences.
    at least the Taliban and other insurgent forces try to put IEDs in strategic areas but the Khmer Rouge and the other factions fighting during the Cambodian civil war purposefully put down as a many as possible for maximum civilian causalities.