[Books] LF new books to read

Hello

So i don't know why, but i suddenly got this really big urge to start reading books. I've never been that much of a reader, tbh the only "real" books i've read in my life so far have been the 3 books of the millenium trilogy, by Stieg Larsson (which i enjoyed very much, i loved the characters in those books). I've also read the warcraft book "Rise of the horde", but i dont really count that for some reason.

I don't mind any genre tbh, i might not enjoy "heavy romance" kind of books, but im open to all suggestions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Traci Harding - The Ancient Future
    Hi

15+ Year Old Account
    some fantasy recommendations:
    Wheel Of Time
    Lord of the Rings
    A Song of Ice and Fire
    and i'd also check out my thread on this forum (LF Fantasy books) for any other recs anyone hit up.

There's a billion fantasy series out there, but starting at A Song of Ice and Fire is a good call. It has changed the epic fantasy game quite a bit.

Read the classics. They're classics for a reason.

And then read the Russians, if you're into character studies and not so much into plot. The Idiot by Dostoevsky is my favorite book, followed by his The Brothers Karamazov, which used to be my favorite book until I read the Idiot. After the Russians, go to the Germans like Kafka and Goethe (two wildly different authors), and then some of the French like Sartre. Honestly, literature for me ended at James Joyce, and T.S. Eliot, I haven't really read anything since then that I've enjoyed in the "modern literature" genre. Maybe I just dislike the "post-modern" genre, and yearn for the older days of "modern," who knows. Of course, genres like fantasy and science-fiction have exploded since World War II.

Honestly, I don't know why more people don't read Dostoevsky. Maybe it's different in Europe, but in America, if you talk about Dostoevsky as the greatest author ever, they look at you strangely like you might be a closet Communist, and then say something horrific like "What about Mark Twain or John Steinbeck?" Jesus. Steinbeck was okay, but Twain doesn't rate much beyond a folklorist, in my opinion. But they're Americans, so they must be the best, right?

If you want more modern stuff in the "literary fiction" category, I'd go for books by Italo Calvino, Dom DeLillo, Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being (imo one of the best books of the past half century, 30 years old this year), Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I like Paulo Coehlo as well, but it's an acquired taste for some. Andre Dubus is a masterful short story writer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

And then read the Russians, if you're into character studies and not so much into plot. The Idiot by Dostoevsky is my favorite book, followed by his The Brothers Karamazov, which used to be my favorite book until I read the Idiot. After the Russians, go to the Germans like Kafka and Goethe (two wildly different authors), and then some of the French like Sartre. Honestly, literature for me ended at James Joyce, and T.S. Eliot, I haven't really read anything since then that I've enjoyed in the "modern literature" genre. Maybe I just dislike the "post-modern" genre, and yearn for the older days of "modern," who knows. Of course, genres like fantasy and science-fiction have exploded since World War II.

Honestly, I don't know why more people don't read Dostoevsky. Maybe it's different in Europe, but in America, if you talk about Dostoevsky as the greatest author ever, they look at you strangely like you might be a closet Communist, and then say something horrific like "What about Mark Twain or John Steinbeck?" Jesus. Steinbeck was okay, but Twain doesn't rate much beyond a folklorist, in my opinion. But they're Americans, so they must be the best, right?

If you want more modern stuff in the "literary fiction" category, I'd go for books by Italo Calvino, Dom DeLillo, Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being (imo one of the best books of the past half century, 30 years old this year), Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I like Paulo Coehlo as well, but it's an acquired taste for some. Andre Dubus is a masterful short story writer as well.
    Thanks. I'll write a list of the authors you mentioned before i go to the library tomorrow!

As for the song of ice and fire, if it's the game of thrones book, then i wont most likely read it/them. Yes yes i know that the books are always a hundred times better, but i just like the actors of the tv series so much (except to that fucking little cunt).
    Last edited by Ergar; 2014-07-30 at 08:00 PM.

Please keep in mind, the books I listed tend to be the kind people only ever read in university courses. They're dense and heavy but honestly I think they're the best authors to ever live. But my context is that of a huge nerd who reads philosophy and theology in his spare time as well.

Please keep in mind, the books I listed tend to be the kind people only ever read in university courses. They're dense and heavy but honestly I think they're the best authors to ever live. But my context is that of a huge nerd who reads philosophy and theology in his spare time as well.
    The idiot book you mentioned seemed pretty interesting, from the quick glance of what i had from wikipedia. I'll deffinately borrow it atleast, if they have it in my local library.

Just read a wicked awesome one, free on amazon. Called The Law Man by Jose Antonio Bengochea. I also downloaded some of the other free ones amazon recommend me after reading that one. If you like an entertaining read, check it out! I'd call it Dark Fantasy but my buddy read it and think it's more "Alternative Historical Revenge" story. Either way it was very entertaining

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Identity Crisis

DC
    You cared enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by AceofHarts View Post
    some fantasy recommendations:
    Wheel Of Time
    Lord of the Rings
    A Song of Ice and Fire
    and i'd also check out my thread on this forum (LF Fantasy books) for any other recs anyone hit up.
    Yeah, nice selection for someone just getting into reading ^.^

@OP what games and wot-not are you interested in? Often there are plenty of books attached to popular franchises and some of them are...frankly a bit dreadful but still fun if you're into them and you won't notice the poor quality until you've read something better.

I can recommend the Discworld books and Douglas Adam's Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy (some of the references in it may be horribly dated if you're under 30).

10+ Year Old Account

Recommending Goethe and Dostoevsky for someone who, "has never been much of a reader," is kinda dense. That's like skipping from Smoke on the Water to Beethoven...
    Also, it's kinda pretentious to be condescending of Americans who love American authors, while you yourself are doing exactly the same for Europeans.

OT: Neil Galman's American Gods is pretty good. It's about a guy who gets caught in a war between the old gods (Zeus/Odin/etc.) and the new (TV/Cellphones/Internet). Also, the Inheritance books are pretty good, if a little juvenile. They're based around a really neat twist on the normal "magic" stories.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Yeah, nice selection for someone just getting into reading ^.^

@OP what games and wot-not are you interested in? Often there are plenty of books attached to popular franchises and some of them are...frankly a bit dreadful but still fun if you're into them and you won't notice the poor quality until you've read something better.

I can recommend the Discworld books and Douglas Adam's Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy (some of the references in it may be horribly dated if you're under 30).
    I was gunna recommend Night's Watch, but I couldn't remember the name of the guy until I saw this! Terry Pratchett, awesome author.
    Definitely second this.
    Last edited by Gufkys; 2014-08-21 at 03:19 AM.
    His name is Robert Paulsen.

try the Black tower series from S.King and Drizzt Do'Urden by R. A. Salvatore (several Drizzt books) or the Iron Druid set by Kevin Hearne
    Last edited by bloodrunner; 2014-08-20 at 12:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you enjoyed the Warcraft books, and enjoy Blizzard lore in general, I suggest reading these books: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9344514813

The Sin War books are especially good.