Thread: Swordsman

Deleted

Swordsman

Any of you guys played the new MMORPG by Perfect World called Swordsman?
    I had lots of fun in their other game called Neverwinter so I decided to give this one a shot.
    I am having a good time playing it at the moment, since I cannot find another decent free one (and only one of paid/subscription based games I haven't played and I want to try out is Final Fantasy XIV)

It is a martial arts themed mmorpg, chinese sounds only and english text so far from what I've seen.
    I've been playing it for about a week now, trying out classes and whatnot, and it seems quite nice.
    Good environment and nice character design, deep and engaging combat style, skill-based pvp system, amazing skill graphics and combos, and jumping around with triple jump is fantastic :>

Not to be a Debby Downer, but don't get your hopes up. It's developed by Perfect World themselves, not a Western studio like Cryptic. And PWE's first party games are generally pretty awful : /

Been meaning to give this a shot to see if it's as bad as the rest of them, but I just haven't gotten around to downloading it.

It's horrible, supergeneric quests with autowalk and ridiculously clunky combat that they praise as "action", but is in fact just sugarcoated tab target. All in all it's like Age of Wushu, only much worse and much more themepark. Avoid.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    It's horrible, supergeneric quests with autowalk and ridiculously clunky combat that they praise as "action", but is in fact just sugarcoated tab target. All in all it's like Age of Wushu, only much worse and much more themepark. Avoid.
    Autowalk, you say? That's honestly one of my favorite features in these mindless MMO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Autowalk, you say? That's honestly one of my favorite features in these mindless MMO's.
    Yes, same as Age of Wushu, if you ever played it.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Yes, same as Age of Wushu, if you ever played it.
    Except I've heard it's got far, far, far fewer systems in it to garble up gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Except I've heard it's got far, far, far fewer systems in it to garble up gameplay.
    Exactly. Like I said, it's a themepark version of Age of Wushu, a very very generic one. People try to make you believe it's the combat system that makes this game (because it doesn't have anything else worth mentioning), but it really doesn't. It's clunky as hell, locks you down in place and the "action mode" setup you can choose at start to play it as an "action" game is just sugarcoating over the basic tab target system. Hell, unless it's a specific AoE skill your swings will just hit one target.

If people like the wuxia theme they should just stick to Age of Wushu/Wulin. Far better with way more sandbox elements to spice up the game.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

10+ Year Old Account
    When I saw Perfect World I started pre-judging. I gotta stop doing that. But when you have a publisher with a billion free to play MMOs you know something's up.

I'll give this one a try later since you said it's okay.

Deleted
    The auto-walk helps a lot when you're bored and want to level up fast without reading.
    The game has a decent story and it's much better than AoW imo.
    I couldn't stand that game. Swordsman's combat is fine, compared to AoW at least.
    I tried some pvp after hitting 30 level (took ~5 hours of gameplay) my comment on it is that it's very good.
    A 42 level beat a 60 level in a match I spectated, that really surprised me and only goes to show that pvp is skill based and not gear/level based.

I should give it some more time :>
    I really would prefer to play a good action combat RPG with a friend of mine and this seems fine since we both enjoy pvp.
    I'd look for any other recommendations for F2P Action combat MMORPGs, heck or even Pay/Buy to Play ones, with a focus on PvP, but I cannot find any other mmorpg like it, excluding Guild Wars /2 ofc.