Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Its Sad the rate that Blizz pushes out content for WoW...

Isn't ironic that a company that has billions of dollars of revenue each year, pushes out content patches for their MMO at a rate slower than all the other companies making MMOs in the industry?

Now this is not a game vs game thread so dont turn it into that.

But its sad quite frankly that WoW has 1 year luls between content, and other games have awesome content being pushed out every two weeks, every month, or every other month (GW2, Rift, and SWTOR being a good example of this). The other sad thing is that these other games have free to play models.

So why pay for something when you can get more for free?

Blizzard just know their fan base. When you have millions of people who are happy with literally nothing why would you spend money making content?

Still have plenty of content to do. 10 years of it. Don't care about raiding.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could supply them with more fiber to help push it along faster ya know.......

Seriously though, the amount of content in MoP feels ok, just not the timing. 2 Months more of ToT and/or MSV/HoF/ToES and 2 less of SOO would have been fine. (Hello Ulduar Firelands threepeat?)

I have so much to do at this point I will never get it all done. Not sure why everyone thinks raiding is the only thing you can do....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Blizzard just know their fan base. When you have millions of people who are happy with literally nothing why would you spend money making content?
    Such a specious and incorrect statement.

On topic - I'm not happy with how slow the content has been since 5.4.8 but having money != tons of content. Don't pull the old "hire more devs" card, either. Too many cooks spoil the broth and so on. While I'd love for content to be out faster I also like that when Blizzard does release content it is usually, to me, of higher quality and less bug-ridden than the quick, free content thrown out by other game developers.

Deleted
    What kind of "awesome" content are they realeasing every month?

And...

As long as there are people even defending Blizzards "do the least possible" attitude this won't change.

And there are many people who defend even the worst Blizzard does.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post

On topic - I'm not happy with how slow the content has been since 5.4.8 but having money != tons of content. Don't pull the old "hire more devs" card, either. Too many cooks spoil the broth and so on. While I'd love for content to be out faster I also like that when Blizzard does release content it is usually, to me, of higher quality and less bug-ridden than the quick, free content thrown out by other game developers.
    The whole "throwing money at problems doesn't work" argument doesn't really hold water for me because to a certain extent it does work. WoW couldn't have gotten to where it was on pocket money and spare change, it's at the current state it is because a lot of money was pumped into it. So where is the line where suddenly more money no longer helps? Why do say 5 devs get content going at a decent pace but 6 is "too many cooks spoiling the broth"? Clearly whatever Blizzard is currently doing isn't working - we're looking at over a year with no content and the content we're getting is less than we were promised. I find it hard to believe that Blizzard's development team is so exclusive that there is no one they could hire to speed up production. At the very least one patch in between expansions should be a given. Even if that delays WoD the overall time between content patches would be less.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    The whole "throwing money at problems doesn't work" argument doesn't really hold water for me because to a certain extent it does work. WoW couldn't have gotten to where it was on pocket money and spare change, it's at the current state it is because a lot of money was pumped into it. So where is the line where suddenly more money no longer helps? Why do say 5 devs get content going at a decent pace but 6 is "too many cooks spoiling the broth"? Clearly whatever Blizzard is currently doing isn't working - we're looking at over a year with no content and the content we're getting is less than we were promised. I find it hard to believe that Blizzard's development team is so exclusive that there is no one they could hire to speed up production. At the very least one patch in between expansions should be a given. Even if that delays WoD the overall time between content patches would be less.
    You're trying to solve it like a development team is a math problem when really these are humans and it's not that simple.

There are many many layers to searching, hiring, training, evaluating cost benefits and finances, evaluating personnel chemistry, evaluating ability over time.

You don't just add more level 100 developers and good to go. When you approach it like a math problem you end up with chinese production level garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Isn't ironic that a company that has billions of dollars of revenue each year, pushes out content patches for their MMO at a rate slower than all the other companies making MMOs in the industry?

But its sad quite frankly that WoW has 1 year luls between content, and other games have awesome content being pushed out every two weeks, every month, or every other month (GW2, Rift, and SWTOR being a good example of this). The other sad thing is that these other games have free to play models.

I think what you are really stating is "there's more content in WoW then nearly any other game, but I only touch a small part of it and burn through it as fast as I can so I get bored and then whine about it on forums."

Quote Originally Posted by abracmike View Post
    Could supply them with more fiber to help push it along faster ya know.......

Seriously though, the amount of content in MoP feels ok, just not the timing. 2 Months more of ToT and/or MSV/HoF/ToES and 2 less of SOO would have been fine. (Hello Ulduar Firelands threepeat?)
    Exactly. While new content would be nice, we're at the end of an expansion, and nearly all resources are funneled into getting that ready. What they can control, however, is the pacing of the content they release. Instead of a year and a half of SoO, they should have added a month or two onto the previous tiers.

They have a rough idea of how long they expect an expansion to last, and they know exactly how many raids they will have during the expansion. It doesn't seem too difficult to break it up so that it's disbursed more evenly. Obviously the final raid tier will still be the longest, but maybe it doesn't need to be four times longer than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post

On topic - I'm not happy with how slow the content has been since 5.4.8 but having money != tons of content. Don't pull the old"hire more devs" card , either. Too many cooks spoil the broth and so on. While I'd love for content to be out faster I also like that when Blizzard does release content it is usually, to me, of higher quality and less bug-ridden than the quick, free content thrown out by other game developers.
    Well they keep giving them money for nothing so it obviously doesn't bother them that much. The old "hire more devs" card is a valid criticism. People have been saying the same thing for years. How long does it take to build up a team these days? They have been on the same glacial pace for years.

Your last point is hilarious! When they take a year to release some content it bloody well better be less buggy and higher quality.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Well..if that is "so sad" and if "other companies push out so much more content" - then why are people not playing all the other games?
    Ummm they are playing them. That is why they are still running and more and more come out each year. What an odd thing to say.

Yeah, you know..but the forums are full of people who love to hate what Blizzard does and the Internet is full of people who love a freebee...

So why are you folks not all really sticking it to Blizzard and play those games that are

-free
    -full of awesome content

??????????

...instead of whining about the people who have decided that hey have GOOD reasons to spend 15 dollars a month on a product that works for them?
    The anti-WoW crusading "F2P's are the best (but I don't play them)" crowd are the internets hipsters. Their sole purpose is to be seen hating WoW. They don't actually play the other MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard rather makes proper content then throwing random things out there like most MMO's do.
    But i gotta agree the speed between new expansion and last patch is damn big.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Yeah, all the other MMOs, all the thriving, well-faring MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    The anti-WoW crusading "F2P's are the best (but I don't play them)" crowd are the internets hipsters. Their sole purpose is to be seen hating WoW. They don't actually play the other MMOs.
    Or could it be that some people don't care about the payment method of a game? They will play the game they enjoy the most either way. This may also shock you. Some people play more than one game. Can you believe that shit? Wacky!

Well they keep giving them money for nothing
    Or... you know, they give them money because they enjoy the game...
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Yeah, you know..but the forums are full of people who love to hate what Blizzard does and the Internet is full of people who love a freebee...

So why are you folks not all really sticking it to Blizzard and play those games that are

-free
    -full of awesome content

??????????

...instead of whining about the people who have decided that hey have GOOD reasons to spend 15 dollars a month on a product that works for them?
    Actually, I do (League of Legends says hello). I also spend money on other games for which I only pay once, and for three month of WoW Sub's worth I get a whole new game with more new, different and exciting content then Blizzard is ever willing to release in that time span.

Of course I do not mind if you are fine with spending 15$ a month, effectivly having spent 60 $ before any new content arrives,
    but I see it that way and this is why I quit WoW (Well, a 2nd time now. Also, some other factors also played a role, just to be fair).

Or could it be that some people don't care about the payment method of a game? They will play the game they enjoy the most either way. This may also shock you. Some people play more than one game. Can you believe that shit? Wacky!
    That's not relevant at all to anything I said but alrighty.