Deleted

Looking to Buy powerful Processor

Hi, I do not know which CPU to buy. I want to get a good, powerful CPU for video editing, graphical software, top end games, and other programs. Really need good performance but not sure. Is an Ivy bridge Hex core better for me to buy than a Haswell i7 or this "Devil's Canyon", not sure what that is all about. To me it just means that brand names are trying to stand out and not sure if it actually makes much difference.

It needs to be Intel and some thing that I can buy from the UK. I do not have a budget in mind.

EDIT: Maybe a Hex core might be over powered and it is a lot of money :/

- - - Updated - - -

I was considering this: Intel Core i7 4930K Extreme Hex Core CPU

but that seems to have much lower GHz then some of the cheaper ones but obviously it is better in most other ways. I'm not sure..

Deleted
    Yes the i7 4790k will do anything you want. You need a Z97 mobo along with it.

Regular i7-4790k (4 cores + ht) is plenty for random video editing and gaming. 6 core CPUs like i7-4930k are overkill and mostly waste of money unless you actually make your living with that computer and time is literally money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Yes the i7 4790k will do anything you want. You need a Z97 mobo along with it.
    Okay thank you, would Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 Motherboard (Z97) be a good choice then for the Mobo? I really like the style of it and has everything I need.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't get it simply because it costs twice as much as a board of equal quality.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Just get the AMD 8350, thank me later.

If you can wait a couple weeks (somewhere in August) Intel is going to release Haswell-E. The cheapest 6 cores part will cost around 400$ (some etailer already have pre-order price), add a good 400-450$ for a motherboard and 16gb of DDR4 and you should be good to go if this is too expensive for you then id go with a 4790k! even at stock speed its miles ahead of any other quad core or AMD 8350 *Cough*^*Cough*

10+ Year Old Account
    As Darkblade said, wait until mid-late August for the new Socket 2011 (X99 I believe) to arrive.

If you can't wait then I'm sure the i7-4790k w/ a Z97 board will do you just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudx View Post
    Joke of the day.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudx View Post
    AMD is a joke, and by extension makes you a joke for having suggested it.

Lol.

yuk to AMD......

the kaveri APU.s seemed interesting but they are having problems with mantel; duel running the apu with graphics cards.

i was interested in the kaveri a8-7600...... but it never really materiallized. would be great for trying a budget box with no graphics cards....but most want graphics cards...

I just don't see how AMD can compete with larger nano architecture. Intel is getting better with Haswell. and i like Intels LGA1150 boards now that they can run near all the intel processors celeron thru i7.s

Deleted
    Thanks guys, and I would not like an AMD either. Intel is the best IMO. My gf wants me to order the parts for her today as we have moved into a new house this week so I was going to give her my older components and order new stuff for myself and even though I really want to wait for the new DDR4 RAM, there is no time. Also I read somewhere that its expected 2015 now. The i7-4790k will have to do.

- - - Updated - - -

I also found this: Intel Core i7 4820K Extreme Quad Core CPU Retail (Socket 2011, 3.70GHz, 10MB, 130W, Unlocked and Unleashed, Hyper-Threading Technology)

Would that be better?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Regular i7-4790k (4 cores + ht) is plenty for random video editing and gaming. 6 core CPUs like i7-4930k are overkill and mostly waste of money unless you actually make your living with that computer and time is literally money.
    Not to mention, the 4930k is actually SLOWER than the 4790k. The only time those are useful is if you NEED more than 4 cores/8 threads for some reason (hint: games don't use that many).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MayronEU View Post
    Thanks guys, and I would not like an AMD either. Intel is the best IMO. My gf wants me to order the parts for her today as we have moved into a new house this week so I was going to give her my older components and order new stuff for myself and even though I really want to wait for the new DDR4 RAM, there is no time. Also I read somewhere that its expected 2015 now. The i7-4790k will have to do.

- - - Updated - - -

I also found this: Intel Core i7 4820K Extreme Quad Core CPU Retail (Socket 2011, 3.70GHz, 10MB, 130W, Unlocked and Unleashed, Hyper-Threading Technology)

Would that be better?
    No, that is slower than the 4790k. If you have to ask if you need LGA2011, the answer is "no". The ONLY time LGA2011 is needed is if you plan on running *at least* 3-way SLI/Crossfire, or you have some sort of computational need that requires more than 4 cores/8 threads. For any normal gaming system, you are gimping yourself by going LGA2011. The CPU's are slower than the 4790k for gaming, while costing more.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2014-08-02 at 11:34 PM.