Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    So to sum it up MLP, Anime, and Toys are the main "freaky" things that most people look down on?
    I think anyone looking down on anime etc could be turned around with some Jessica Nigiri (and others) cosplay

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearin View Post
    I think anyone looking down on anime etc could be turned around with some Jessica Nigiri (and others) cosplay
    I can enjoy Jessica Nigiri even without liking anime.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Calling those who has an opinion you don't agree with "sheep"

How very free-thinking of you.
    There are two things that make me instantly lose respect for a person's comment.

1. Using the word "murica."
    2. Calling someone or some people sheep.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    How about you dont care what others think?

No but some people certainly act edgy for the hell of it.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It certainly doesn't make you a social outcast. Hipsters base their whole identity off of hating many things that are "mainstream" and there are tons of them

Damnit, Salandrin. *sighs*

Tribalism is a major facet in human society. Things as simple as liking different tv shows to deviant sexual preferences creates a sort of community among like minded people. The question is which community do you reside in? If you don't fit into your "natural habitat," it's easier now to find others that do online. As a whole, the country is slowly becoming more accepting of what was considered "freakish" traits, such as BDSM (50 Shades), pot (legalization), and homosexuality (ditto).

2 extreme examples of oppressive mainstream ideals would be the famous witch hunts and the red scare, both periods in which people were expected to act and dress in specific manners, otherwise facing persecution.
    Sig/ava made by the amazing Elyssia! ♥

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personal example.

I am a white collar schmuck in my late 30s who makes his living as an engineer. All of my colleagues are conservative, married, church going, easy listening, fans of currently popular sport X type people.

I am an unmarried atheist who does not care about professional sports, children, or family. I also listen to punk and heavy metal music (speed/thrash/black/death/grind/whatever). I have been a metal head since childhood and i'm not going to stop any time soon.

I can say with absolute certainty that, amongst my professional peers, i am seen as some kind of strange curiosity for my life choices, my hobbies, and my musical tastes. I'm certainly not treated like an outcast though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think quite the opposite, knew quite a lot of people that liked what was popular just so they could fit in, I think that's pathetic as they're too scared to say they like something and would rather falsely like something just to be a sheep.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I think quite the opposite, knew quite a lot of people that liked what was popular just so they could fit in, I think that's pathetic as they're too scared to say they like something and would rather falsely like something just to be a sheep.
    But you're a Welshman, I thought you'd be into sheep!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell no, everybody knows Antique Roadshow is cool! (snort)

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I don't think not liking what is mainstream makes you a "freak" or "social outcast".

One of the beauties of the written word is that you don't know where the emphasis is in that sentence.

As the title says.

Discuss. By mainstream I mean watching sports (namely sunday football), watching American Idol or Bachelor, Monster Trucking, etc. By not mainstream I could refer to unpopular or highly frowned-upon hobbies like watching anime (or cartoons in general), collecting figurines/displays, reading comics, etc.
    Without reading any comments, most of us would consider monster trucking to be unpopular and frowned upon.

- - - Updated - - -

I heard that or betting on racing is extremely popular.
    In what country? No one really gives too much of a shit about that in the states. Are there even OTBs anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    Just stop caring what others think for christ sake, I really don't understand people who just try to be something they're not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lince View Post
    I really don't understand people who just try to be something they're not.
    You've never been bullied?

Deleted
    Not liking? Nope.. in fact I think it usually has the opposite effect unless you start making excuses and acting all guilty-like and whatnot. Hating stuff is always cooler than liking unpopular things after all

Deleted
    You can still be a social outcast when liking mainstream stuff. So no.
    As for ´freak´, i guess unless u dress up like those extreme body modification people, not many people are going to notice u as a freak.
    Unless u tell them ur favourite past time is choking puppy´s to death.

I don't give a shit, I can't say I understand why adults spend their spare time watching anime or Idol though but who am I to say whats right and whats not. Do whatever you feel makes you happy and gives you positive energy. Too much negativity in the world.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    As the title says.

Discuss. By mainstream I mean watching sports (namely sunday football), watching American Idol or Bachelor, Monster Trucking, etc. By not mainstream I could refer to unpopular or highly frowned-upon hobbies like watching anime (or cartoons in general), collecting figurines/displays, reading comics, etc.
    Hi, I'm your Messiah.

People in the mage community know this already.

Basically I represent all people who are tired of the implication that they are outcasts if they go against the grain. We are incorrectly called hipsters, but we are not a collective anti-norm as much as just an individual scattered unassociated free-thinking organization. Except unfortunately, we're not very organized. Since we all have our own thoughts and don't rely on popularity to determine what we like, we do not really have the option to follow others blindly for the sake of common ground.

See, I come from the angle of even collecting figurines/displays/comics/anime/etc is too mainstream. Ever meet a gamer who likes anime? EXACTLY. These social groupings are normal and healthy. What's not normal or healthy is the perception of any "groups" of people because some of us wish to remain ungrouped. It is my belief that those of us in this "ungroup" are simply more honest with ourselves and our interests than others. <insert sheeple sentence here>

Anyway, you're not alone, yet you are. And that's a good thing. Keep being alone and beware for things like Big Bang Theory, which try to identify you to the others as someone who failed Extroversion Camp but is now "acceptable" - so feel free to wave your flag of nerdom as long as you conform to other social norms (they want you to go back to Extroversion Camp).

Anyway good luck evading the mold of society. I'm here if you need me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't really say it's anything I give much thought to. I like what I like, others are free to do the same.