how much real world application is there in elliptical workouts?

Archery season is in September. This means I will be spending time walking around the woods and up hills.

A couple weeks ago I began jogging. Its been at least 10 years (and 30lbs) since I did any running. I've been doing a mix of walking and jogging around my neighborhood. I've been going every other day and increase the distance I jog each time. There is a couple uphill stretches in my route. I think this is practical conditioning for hunting season.

The downfall is my knees are starting to get irritated. Its not terrible pain, but doesn't feel like muscle pain. This has me considering using an elliptical. I just don't know how much it will benefit me in archery season.

TL/DR can an elliptical be decent conditioning for hiking around the woods/hills?

Deleted
    If you try to improve something when working out, most types of exercise translate poorly to real world applications. This is very much true for different kind of cardio equipment as well. While it can most certainly improve your conditioning, the amount you improve on the elliptical will only translate to a much lesser improvement out in nature. The constant change in terrain, uneven bumps and speed intervals all requires much coordination from your body that is not trained on any stationary device, and this all accounts for much of your bodys conditioning when put together.

This is pretty much why you can see somebody run 10+ kilometers on a treadmill in the gym without breaking a sweat, but hardly do 1 kilometer in nature.

Personally not a fan of stationary cardio in any form, and your knee pain could be the result of several things, even down to the shoes you're wearing. For me, ellipticals are a rather unnatural leg movement, though everyone is different. If the impact from jogging is causing issues, perhaps doing lower impact stair sets would be beneficial to you.

I would recommend a bike instead. Personally I enjoy being out and about as opposed to stationary cardio. In reality it really comes down to what you are doing it for. If you are excising primarily for your heart/lungs/calories then you will be fine with an elliptical. You dont really sound like the type that needs to be running "in nature" other than to be fit so it really doesn't matter what you do. just do what you enjoy the most because that's what you will be able to keep at over time.

--And yes, basic cardio from an elliptical is more than enough for moderate hiking