Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I lost my shit at this bit,

The U.S. Department of Justice wants the physical readiness test to be stopped and the lawsuit asks that the state offer employment with seniority and provide back pay with interest for women who failed the test and could be troopers.
    How about, fuck no.

I could understand this basic, basic, basic requirement would be tough for some; Wheelchair users for example, but healthy men and women shouldn't struggle at all with this.

My god, this is just ammo for people against women entering physically demanding jobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our U.S. DoJ everybody!
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    If you don't meet those requirements, you probably shouldn't be a cop. I could walk that mile time.
    No... you couldn't. Jogging is around 5mph, you really can't walk faster then that as your body will be forced to move in a jogging/running manor. 17 min for 1.5 miles is a run, just not a very fast or long one.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    http://www.justice.gov/iso/opa/resou...8262990767.pdf

Here is the actual filing. From what I'm reading, the complaint is that PA instituted the physical condition screening specifically to prevent female applicants. I can't comment on the legitimacy of the complaint, but that seems to be what the lawsuit is about. If legitimate, screw those guys. If illegitimate, hopefully the truth will come out in court.
    Seeing as 72% of women were able to actually pass those requirements, I don't see how anyone would be able to prove that. Now if the amount of women that were able to pass those requirements was something like 5-10%, I could see where they were coming from. However, judging from how many women were still able to pass the requirements, it sounds to me like they just want to be sure that the women (and men) are actually going to be able to do the job and weed out women (and men) who would not be able to do even the most basic parts of the job.

http://www.justice.gov/iso/opa/resou...8262990767.pdf

Here is the actual filing. From what I'm reading, the complaint is that PA instituted the physical condition screening specifically to prevent female applicants. I can't comment on the legitimacy of the complaint, but that seems to be what the lawsuit is about. If legitimate, screw those guys. If illegitimate, hopefully the truth will come out in court.
    So let me see (I skimmed the filing) if I got this right. Before they had fitness requirements females were brought in just as often as males but since they implemented the fitness portion the number has gone down?

I still don't get what's wrong with the fitness requirement? It's not like it's asking females to do something that in all reality only males can do?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    So let me see (I skimmed the filing) if I got this right. Before they had fitness requirements females were brought in just as often as males but since they implemented the fitness portion the number has gone down?

I still don't get what's wrong with the fitness requirement? It's not like it's asking females to do something that in all reality only males can do?
    If they didn't have a fitness requirement beforehand i just lost a lot of respect on that front alone for them.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    The fact that 98% of men pass the test according to the article makes me thing they should be stricter, not less.

Besides, 72% of women pass the test, that's pretty good on average!
    That's another interesting part, I mean sure there's more to doing a job because you passed one requirement but I'd almost expect a decent drop-off after each requirement instead of just "100% of candidates passed this test" otherwise... it's not really a worthwhile test, eh? It'd be akin to "One of our tests is to see who can finish a doughnut in 60 seconds". No, that's not a jab at police, just to show how silly a test would be that 100% of people would pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post

I don't disagree, but I also don't know the motivations behind the people who implemented the standards. But it's not like it's "must be able to write name in snow".
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

No... you couldn't. Jogging is around 5mph, you really can't walk faster then that as your body will be forced to move in a jogging/running manor. 17 min for 1.5 miles is a run, just not a very fast or long one.
    5 mph is all you need to meet this time. That's a brisk walk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Walking fast you maybe could. At an average pace I can make 1 mile in around 15 minutes (distance from my house to train station), give or take a little. If I pushed my pace then I dunno, maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, THOSE are standards!? You can fast walk 300 meters in 77 seconds. You can learn to do 13 pushups in a matter of a few days, if you can't already. 14 inch vertical jump? Natural you lift your foot 12 inches when you walk. And christ, you can fast walk again in one mile in 18 minutes.

And only 72% of women pass the test? There is no excuse to not pass the test.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

So yea cops need to do physical stuff so they don't die and so they can protect normal folks so they don't die. Less stringent requirements for cops? More deaths and crimes.

Deleted
    Yeah, 3MPH is the average walking speed for an average sized man...

It doesn't take into account those who're larger than average or have longer strides.

The standard is trivial regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    If they didn't have a fitness requirement beforehand i just lost a lot of respect on that front alone for them.
    Oh, I don't know if they did, but even if they did and then they just upped it because... 100% of people used to pass it... I still don't see the problem?

If ANYTHING it shows that women aren't as equal as they try and make it seem to be when it comes to being able to do the same things men can. No disrespect women, but yeaaaa.

10+ Year Old Account
    5mph is a "jog" by most standards, but I'll concede that you could "mosey" to a 17min time for a mile and a half.

-Kujako-

No, just no. The average walking pace is 3 MPH, give or take. If your "brisk walk" is almost 2 times as fast as the average, I question what you consider "brisk."
    Last edited by Disconnected; 2014-07-31 at 05:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    I lost my shit at this bit,

How about, fuck no.

I could understand this basic, basic, basic requirement would be tough for some; Wheelchair users for example, but healthy men and women shouldn't struggle at all with this.

My god, this is just ammo for people against women entering physically demanding jobs.
    Well, IF they implemented the test for the sole purpose of preventing women from joining the police, then those are well-reasoned requirements of offering seniority and back pay. Because the test, no matter how easy it is, was created for the sole purpose of keeping women out of the police. Of course, proving the INTENT of the test is going to be difficult.

However, I would still think that a test designed to keep women off the force would be somewhat more rigorous than HS PE standards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Disconnected View Post
    No, just no. The average walking pace is 3 MPH, give or take. If your "brisk walk" is more than 2 times as fast as the average, I question what you consider "brisk."
    Last I checked, 5mph+ is not more than 2 times 3.
    2x3=6
    6>5.
    L2Math.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Disconnected View Post
    No, just no. The average walking pace is 3 MPH, give or take. If your "brisk walk" is more than 2 times as fast as the average, I question what you consider "brisk."
    Use a walking pace calculator on your phone. 5mph is moderately intensive. The point was that this mile time is a walking pace. Do cops generally brisk walk after criminals?
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Well, IF they implemented the test for the sole purpose of preventing women from joining the police, then those are well-reasoned requirements of offering seniority and back pay. Because the test, no matter how easy it is, was created for the sole purpose of keeping women out of the police. Of course, proving the INTENT of the test is going to be difficult.

However, I would still think that a test designed to keep women off the force would be somewhat more rigorous than HS PE standards.
    I would love to sit in the courtroom that this is taking place in and hear someone say "If women can't pass HS phys ed stuff... I'm at a loss for words on how you want me to respond". lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly, assuming these standards are too rigorous for women to pass is offensive