Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Should I do less exercising?

I've had a few threads before asking about running, but now I want to know if I'm doing too much because I find myself being very fatigued lately.

For the last 2 months, I've ran 3 times a week, between 5 and 6.5km, couple of times I've went up to 10 or 11km... sometimes every other day, and beginning maybe a month ago I started cycling to work because it was cheaper.

I cycle 13km there and 13km again in the afternoon home. And I can't find the strength the last week or so to keep running so much, I'm thinking of going down to 2 times a week, I know I could keep running as much as I have but I wouldn't be able to perform at full capacity, as my 5km time keeps showing. If I do it 3 times a week I get to about 28-29minutes for 5km, but if I have longer breaks like I did last week I can get it down under 27m.

What should I optimally do? Thanks in advance!

I guess I'd ask if your diet is sufficient for the increased mileage you're putting in?

Deleted
    I've definitely began eating a lot healthier the last 2 months, I drink 2-4 liters of water every day depending on if I go running. No soda, no chocolate, no crisps, no cakes, no biscuits. I literally eat:

Cornflakes for breakfast, without sugar now.
    2 slices of Rye Bread with toppings for lunch.
    Then dinner which I usually take regard to what goes in it but sometimes I just have days where it's a mixture of leftover shit. Also eat takeaway maybe once a month.

I don't eat much besides my 3 meals, might buy some fruit at the weekend to have at night
    (Took a lot of getting used to since I'm 191cm/6'5" and used to require rather large portions/food between meals)

Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    I've definitely began eating a lot healthier the last 2 months, I drink 2-4 liters of water every day depending on if I go running. No soda, no chocolate, no crisps, no cakes, no biscuits. I literally eat:

Then dinner which I usually take regard to what goes in it but sometimes I just have days where it's a mixture of leftover shit. Also eat takeaway maybe once a month.

I don't eat much besides my 3 meals, might buy some fruit at the weekend to have at night
    (Took a lot of getting used to since I'm 191cm/6'5" and used to require rather large portions/food between meals)
    You're actually 6.26 feet.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there no other way to get to work? A car perhaps?

Maybe you're not eating enough? Many people do fitness training and become afraid of eating sturdy meals despite all that exercise making it impossible to gain weight unless overeating something fierce.

Have you tried, like, eating? Food and stuff?

That's something you don't really do, judging from your last post.

That doesn't sound like enough food if you are even a skinny build 6'+ person. You are looking at what < 2000 calories a day? I am 5'10 and I need 2800 calories a day roughly. I don't do as much cardio training, but I do a lot of strongman/crossfit/powerlifting type work outs.

Are you sleeping the same? Work stress the same? Homelife the same? I doubt over training atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it honestly sounds like you're not eating enough. I'm also 191 tall, low body fat, and I work out but not as much as you. I eat 4 meals a day, and bigger portions by the sounds of it, and I'm not gaining an ounce of weight. Of course we're all different, but I can't imagine you require that much less calories while being more physically active than me.

Since you say it took a lot of getting used to, I'm guessing you cut down your calorie intake to loose weight? If you've lost it now your body is going to need something else to burn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely not eating enough. Your body is like a car. If you are going to go longer distances, you need more fuel.

10+ Year Old Account

Depending on your weight, I'm 195cm/6'4"@88kg/194lbs and my maintenance is around 3000cal

Do you count your calories?
    Why are you eating less now, are you trying to lose weight? If so, then just reduce number of exercises or intensity.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Most likely the cause for your exhaustion is the low amount of food intake with the increased amount of exercise. Are you losing weight? Unless your dinner is absolutely huge your intake sounds really low.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the replies last night, appreciate it.

I kinda almost don't get how I should be eating more because I've gotten used to not at least being HUNGRY with that intake.

I have a car, but that takes 25 minutes and I don't want to pay for parking in Copenhagen (plus saving on fuel), takes 40minutes with bicycle.

No I don't count my intake.

No I don't want to be a 'fat lazy cunt'

Are you running all your runs at something near an all out pace by chance? That's what I'm inferring from the OP, but I might be reading it wrong. Most of your running should be at a pretty relaxed pace. I run almost every day (400 km in July), bike a fair bit, and I don't experience much fatigue, but I run most of my mileage at a relaxed pace, only really pushing hard one or two days a week. Counterintuitively, if you're putting in hard efforts all the time, it's much harder to improve your endurance and fitness.

I definitely would recommend counting calories though. When I first started ramping my distances up, I had to be really conscious about eating extra. At my current mileage, it's basically an extra meal every day just to avoid losing weight and to stay fueled up.

10+ Year Old Account
    130 km of cycling (assuming you're working 5 days a week) and 15-25 km of running every week is quite a lot. You're gonna have to eat like a horse if you're gonna be able to do that well. But it could also be that you're just not letting your body rest. Try eating more and/or try reducing the intensity/volume of your workouts.

As an example, you could try going for shorter or lower intensity runs on tuesdays and thursdays, and then really push yourself on sundays.

(I also do agree with above poster, count your calories!)

Deleted
    I had the same issue, for it's just that it's fucking boring to exercise. This bullshit that people spread that once your used to it it becomes fun is silly. I'm sure some people find it fun and relaxing, the majority do it to stay fit.

I find the mental challenge to keep exercising harder then the exercise itself.

Thanks for all the replies last night, appreciate it.

I kinda almost don't get how I should be eating more because I've gotten used to not at least being HUNGRY with that intake.

I have a car, but that takes 25 minutes and I don't want to pay for parking in Copenhagen (plus saving on fuel), takes 40minutes with bicycle.

No I don't count my intake.

No I don't want to be a 'fat lazy cunt'
    Appetite is something you can suppress. The fact that you lack energy to do your runs is an indicator you don't have enough sustenance.

Eat more. If this is your diet, you're most definitely not getting enough calories. You're burning over 1k calories on your light runs. I would guess you would need between 3-4500 calories if that is your consistent exercise level. (Venturing since you are over 6 foot, closer to the higher amount)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I had the same issue, for it's just that it's fucking boring to exercise. This bullshit that people spread that once your used to it it becomes fun is silly. I'm sure some people find it fun and relaxing, the majority do it to stay fit.

I find the mental challenge to keep exercising harder then the exercise itself.
    Perhaps if you try something else you'll like it better. Rowing, skiing, cycling, swimming, some sport of whatever - it doesn't have to be running (not that I know what you've tried). Another thing that makes it more fun is if you set goals and really try to improve your results.

Doing it for health and looks alone wouldn't be as motivating for me either. Those are just really great bonuses.

Deleted
    Do you mean if I sprint? No I don't, but I ran as fast as I can keep that pace for 5km, and sprint the last 250-500m.

But I want to lose weight.

According to my Endomondo App it's nearer 700 calories per run.

- - - Updated - - -

I'vee gotten a good idea what the problem is from the answers, appreciate it!

But surely if I start eating more I will lose weight slower than I am? Tiredness is annoying but I still manage my 7-8 hours sleep a day, it's not a huge thing surely?

If I were you, I'd eat more for lunch, because cereal and two slices of rye bread (even if big) sounds like very little energy for two 13 km bike rides and a full workday.