Poll: Do you tank because

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've on off played tank since ICC days, I refuse to lvl one in dungeons because of peoples mentality to pull big packs and people wipe, I did main a tank when I joined a Progression guild for SoO because my DK rolled same gear for frost/blood (apart from tier pieces).

I don't however play a tank anymore other than celes/ordos, but depending what happens for WoD I might pick up tanking again on monk/pally if I feel the urge to raid.

i like to tank bc i control the raid

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, on my list. If it can tank or heal, it'll do so, DPS is lowest on the list. I will do my best to tank as a DPS if able to.

I tank because I enjoy so, I enjoy the utility and the challenges you can put yourself through. And well, I do enjoy that there is such a call out for tanks (and healers), things go faster like so. Always enjoyed tanking, you just feel more inside the fight.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Pappo View Post
    I love being a tank & also cant stand slow tanks on LFD/LFR.
    Still trying to figure out how to level a class that can't tank... drives me nuts how slow people go.

I'm offspecc tank for fast dungeon queues and emergency situations. I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by zoth00 View Post
    The common practice in dungeons is: Take your time.

This frustrates me: whether it's a group of heirloomed players lvling, or lfr geared people, it's incomprehensible how tanks can move so slowly. It only indicates that you're at best an average tank. A good tank:

- Pull as much as possible: maximize aoe opportunities and cut time spent completing the dungeon;
    - Trash group at 20% hp: time to start moving, dps will finish;
    - No downtime: healer can drink while a tank pops cds, dps should CC whatever they have to CC (like silencing mobs and helping the tank pull more);
    - Last but not least: A tank that merely holds aggro is a decent tank....a good tank is someone who maximizes the team's overall damage (by pulling the biggest amount of adds the healer can handle), and moving fast and consistent (LoS pulls is something that 80% of the tanks don't do in dungeons.)

I guess I tank because most of dungeon tanks don't perform under the above guidelines, and that bores me to hell. If all tanks did that, I'd never tank in my life.
    This attitude results in too many "Hero" / "I got this" tanks who end up dying and wasting time.. If you're with a healer who knows what he's doing and is ok with it then fine, but I've seen too many tanks think they are Mr KingBIS tank who run off and pull half of china when they have an undergeared, underexperienced healer who is oom after two pulls.

When I pull lots of mobs as a tank it's more from a selfish perspective of wanting to pad my own damage meters rather than thinking about others (but hey I'm a dps player at heart, not a tank), and I don't suffer deaths from the MR BEST TANK syndrome, but then I almost never tank for pug healers... MR BEST TANK is really common though and never takes into consideration the abilities/gear of the rest of the group, expects the healer to react to sudden massive burst damage in an otherwise low damage environment.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I like the idea of doing lots of damage wiith a sword and board as opposed to a 2 hander.

2 handers are fun n all but one handed swords and shields are very spartan and get my thumbs up

10+ Year Old Account
    The common practice in dungeons is: Take your time.

This frustrates me: whether it's a group of heirloomed players lvling, or lfr geared people, it's incomprehensible how tanks can move so slowly. It only indicates that you're at best an average tank. A good tank:

- Pull as much as possible: maximize aoe opportunities and cut time spent completing the dungeon;
    - No downtime: healer can drink while a tank pops cds, dps should CC whatever they have to CC (like silencing mobs and helping the tank pull more);
    - Last but not least: A tank that merely holds aggro is a decent tank....a good tank is someone who maximizes the team's overall damage (by pulling the biggest amount of adds the healer can handle), and moving fast and consistent (LoS pulls is something that 80% of the tanks don't do in dungeons.)

I guess I tank because most of dungeon tanks don't perform under the above guidelines, and that bores me to hell. If all tanks did that, I'd never tank in my life.
    Ok first of all, you don't set the guidelines for anything or anyone besides you and the way you play.

Secondly? I've seen wipes and needless deaths from exactly the kind of stupid you outlined in your post.

Thirdly? Different people are different and expecting ~1million or so tanks to meet your 'standards' is dumb on a level I struggle to describe. People like you are what's wrong with tanking, not 'slow' tanks.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally for solo survival while learning to play in late Vanilla/Early BC. Then I enjoyed being the center of attention and having shit-tons of HP and being near un-killable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Two reasons to tank again on a monk sometime after the 15% dmg nerf:
    old raids like 2-manning firelands, and vengeance attack power.

That's a load of crap. Sure, after you're geared you can do that, but if you roll a fresh tank alt, or are going through new content, you don't want to do it that way. Or if you're just used to faceroll wrath/panda dungeons.

I tanked all throughout tbc to when I quit in cata (when I came back briefly in panda I didn't do much PVE.) Heroics in tbc would shit on your face if you did as you describe until you had at least tier 5ish. You actually had to CC shit and plan each pull back then, so there was no running around aoe'ing everything like a retard. Cata to a lesser extent was the same.

In TBC, the fast tanks would be finished planning how they wanted the group to CC the next trash pack just as your group was finishing the current one, that way they could move right to the next pack and pull immediately. The slow ones would take their time setting up markers each time you did an individual pull, and the bad tanks needed somebody else to do it.

I play this game to be a Hero. I want to take the hits for my fellows. That's it.

Some of my guild mates asked for a pep talk before raid...
    We had a bad week last week, the bad week ended up following us to tonight as well, hopefully tomorrow is better.

anyhow, Here is the pep talk I gave them...
    They said it wasn't very peppy, as a tank I feel it was.

Some crude language, Possibly NSFW

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanking is the most fun in my opinion. It's like a cross between the reactionary focus healers need, and the perfect rotation skill dps need.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

I play tank period.
    Been tanking since wrath, first as Dk, later as paladin and warrior.
    Added a druid in that mix at the start of MoP.

I pull what i feel i can handle safely, NOT what healers can handle safely.

Nice example was last night, doing ToT lfr, i usually do a big pull at start (if OT is also nice geared).
    This OT wasn't geared yet, had ~490k health. Our highest dps pulled 2 other packs, because "tanks are to slow".
    We wiped 3 times on first trash, then healers became targets of the blame game.
    At Jindoh it became obvious who really failed and guess what, it wasn't the tanks or healers, it was dps, who didn't run out the raid with focused lightning,
    who didn't stand in conductive water to maximize dps and on top of that, the highest dps died when he electrified the water because of " if i move i do less dps arrogance".

Now i don't mind making big pulls or LoS pulls, but dps these days don't care about anything but their numbers.

I tanked at the time because we needed it, but stuck with it because Brewmaster is just a ton of fun to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrawnudo View Post
    I play tank period.
    Been tanking since wrath, first as Dk, later as paladin and warrior.
    Added a druid in that mix at the start of MoP.

I pull what i feel i can handle safely, NOT what healers can handle safely.

Nice example was last night, doing ToT lfr, i usually do a big pull at start (if OT is also nice geared).
    This OT wasn't geared yet, had ~490k health. Our highest dps pulled 2 other packs, because "tanks are to slow".
    We wiped 3 times on first trash, then healers became targets of the blame game.
    At Jindoh it became obvious who really failed and guess what, it wasn't the tanks or healers, it was dps, who didn't run out the raid with focused lightning,
    who didn't stand in conductive water to maximize dps and on top of that, the highest dps died when he electrified the water because of " if i move i do less dps arrogance".

Now i don't mind making big pulls or LoS pulls, but dps these days don't care about anything but their numbers.
    i find that this problem with Dps is because they dont have a challange if one of them dies its not a big of a deal. and a bad run on lfr is like one or rarely to three (wipes). thats one of the reasons i stoped me going back to dps or heals. because even if the raid was easy. if i died or didnt do my job. its bad news bears as a tank

honestly i have done stupid stuff like u mentioned when i played dps. if theres just a voidzone i can step out done mechanic nulified. if i try to get the top dps then suddenly its a gamble that in your head you think is worth risking even though standing in fire is always stupid

U love tanking other classes and specs don't really interest me and at all so I just tank 99.99% of the time, The only class for DPs I actually find slightly fun iis hutner and monk, but i Do bRM monk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vathius View Post
    I like the idea of doing lots of damage wiith a sword and board as opposed to a 2 hander.

2 handers are fun n all but one handed swords and shields are very spartan and get my thumbs up
    this also. only one other person in the raid would be in tank stuff so i get to be a special snowflake