any recommendations on a Desk mic 60$ budget?

So I am upgrading my Headset to a pair of high quality Head Phones, which of course does not have a mic. I figured I may as well step up my game and get a actual good mic and not something that just comes with the Headset I am using.

First and foremost. My budget is 60 USD$, is this considered enough for a good quality desktop mic?

I have never gotten a mic like this before. Always used headset mics. So I am not sure how these technically work. But I would like one where I do not have to have my mouth next to it. Just stand it on my desk. Distance from my mouth, maybe 1, 1 1/2 feet away?

I don't do anything special like video recordings or music. Just simple online gaming with Team Speak, mumble or using the ingame voice chat based on the game I am playing. But of course would like my voice to be heard flawlessly and not sounding horrible with white noise

Sorry if this asking too many questions. This is just something new to me. Wanting to just get a mic I don't have to worry about for, hopefully several years. And not have to rely on my headset in order to use the mic.

Quote Originally Posted by M0cha View Post
    That is just a bit overkill for a VOIP mic IMO though they are pretty damn good and well worth the money.

Here are a couple cheaper options that I found.
    Monoprice desktop mic for $8.25
    Basic "studio" microphone for $9.82
    Syba dekstop mic for $15
    Plantronics desktop mic for $27.90
    Last edited by tielknight; 2014-08-01 at 03:47 AM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

So the Snowball one is good? I mean if it will last long (Odds are ima just find a spot for it and it will just remain there, so no movement) and not break I don't mind spending that price for it. I am kinda wanting to just go all out and get a good quality mic and be done.

What I am mainly concerned over is how it will pick up my voice compared to say a normal headset mic. Mainly due to the fact that a headset mic is like usually 1 - 2 inches from your mouth, whereas these desktop mics, I assume anyways.. Will be a foot or so from where your mouth is. Will it still be as loud as a normal headset mic that is right next to your mouth?
    Last edited by sarym13; 2014-08-01 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarym13 View Post
    So the Snowball one is good? I mean if it will last long (Odds are ima just find a spot for it and it will just remain there, so no movement) and not break I don't mind spending that price for it. I am kinda wanting to just go all out and get a good quality mic and be done.

What I am mainly concerned over is how it will pick up my voice compared to say a normal headset mic. Mainly due to the fact that a headset mic is like usually 1 - 2 inches from your mouth, whereas these desktop mics, I assume anyways.. Will be a foot or so from where your mouth is. Will it still be as loud as a normal headset mic that is right next to your mouth?
    Given a $60 budget for a desktop mic, you'll be looking at a Blue Snowball (as already mentioned) or an Audiotechnica ATR2500. Both are superb mics that arguably go toe to toe in various tasks despite having vastly different appearances. It should be noted that the Blue Snowball has additional voice settings available.

Of course a cheaper budgeted mic can function just fine, but the above mentioned mics are considered entry podcast quality mics.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

Deleted
    Antlion Modmic could also be worth considering.