If you ever need to make a decision...

And you have two choices and genuinely can't pick either one, flip a coin. If you're disappointed with the outcome, you'll know what you should choose.
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have any more advice from antiquity that you want to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Do you have any more advice from antiquity that you want to share?
    Sure. Not everyone is old and studies history, so to proliferate it it must be told. Hammered in even. With a staple gun.
    RETH

Dundebuns, that's not how life works honey.

I feel i should be eating chips.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Sure. Not everyone is old and studies history, so to proliferate it it must be told. Hammered in even. With a staple gun.
    It isn't like telling people to wash their hands after going to the toilet, it's just fortune cookie level advice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It isn't like telling people to wash their hands after going to the toilet, it's just fortune cookie level advice.
    And wrong at times.......
    Once I didn't know whether I wanted a beer or a coke... I've ordered both..
    Problem solved.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    And wrong at times.......
    Once I didn't know whether I wanted a beer or a coke... I've ordered both..
    Problem solved.
    But imagine if the decision was 'Do I go to Disneyland or Universal Studios'. If they're mutually exclusive, then it's tough.
    RETH

Deleted
    This doesn't actually work as advertised. Let me explain why:

When you flip a coin without this in mind, the intention is that you are going to let the coin decide for you, and you will stick with what the coin decides. This leads to the dissappointed feeling you get if the coin lands on the "wrong" side, because you've convinced your brain that the coin is going to be deciding for you, and that's what tells you you shouldn't pick that option.

If you flip a coin knowing this, and knowing that you aren't really letting the coin decide, then your brain doesn't attach any weight to the coin flip, becuase you know you're planning on potentially changing your answer anyway, so you don't get the disappointed feeling if it lands on the wrong one because your brain doesn't care about the coin flip, which ironically means you end up not changing your answer and ending up with the wrong choice without even knowing it.

If you know about this and plan for it, then it doesn't work. If you don't know it, and don't plan for it, then it does work. So ty op.

NICE JOB BREAKING IT, HERO.
    Last edited by mmoca33b2a723c; 2014-08-01 at 01:27 PM.

Deleted
    So, I'd gain like a 100 kilos in the next year, because not eating candy and cake disappoints me everytime...

Thanks OP!

And what happens when you have to choose between 2 things that you have 0 knowledge about and have absolutely no bias to either? Your brain wont have made the "awee" connection to any of the sides of the coin which will make your logic non-useable.

Ie. Coke-a-cola came out with 2 new flavours and are not giving any hits about anything to do with them, you have Flavour 1 and Flavour 2. Your brain won't be able to make any connection to these flavours and you wont have the, "awee I should have picked the other one" when you flip the coin. But then the human brain does something remarkable and tells you that no matter which one you end up choosing before even trying to taste it that you should have picked the other one. This doesn't mean that the one you picked is wrong because it would have happened the same way if the other was choosen. This happens simply because the grass is always greener..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    And you have two choices and genuinely can't pick either one, flip a coin. If you're disappointed with the outcome, you'll know what you should choose.
    I prefer a more advanced method when facing a choice. I call it the "Eeeny-Meeny-Miney-Mo" Method.

If a better choice exists out of two options, it's always possible to determine which of the two is best.

If a better choice does not exist, then it doesn't matter.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

Deleted
    Or, you know, logically analyze both choices, by weighting the pro's and con's of each in the context of your every day life, or future plans, and then take a rational decision for what would yield the best outcome.
    But hey, maybe I'm just a fucking moron who just realized I've done it wrong my entire life.

Deleted
    Lets think of how many decisions in life have only two definitive outcomes...

10+ Year Old Account
    Logic, all else is boring.