Thread: Headphones help

Headphones help

Hey so recently my Logitech 430 headset broke and I've been meaning to get myself a decent quality headphones (no mic) for around 100$ Maybe 150$ at max Canadian. I read a few threads around here and I found these: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...ce7b8eeb56en02 Audio-Technica headphones.

I tend to listen mostly to Trance and Rock music so stuff like base and clarity is important. I atm have the http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-D.../dp/B004QMH8KI for music but I clearly didn't read into this product and it's way too small for my head whereas something like the LG 430 fits perfectly around my ears and head and incredibly comfy after a long session which is important to me as I don't use speakers. I have long hair also so that might be taken into account also rofl.

Any other suggestions factoring these into account?
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2014-08-01 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Hey so recently my Logitech 430 headset broke and I've been meaning to get myself a decent quality headphones (no mic) for around 100$ Maybe 150$ at max Canadian. I read a few threads around here and I found these: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...ce7b8eeb56en02 Audio-Technica headphones.

I tend to listen mostly to Trance and Rock music so stuff like base and clarity is important. I atm have the http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-D.../dp/B004QMH8KI for music but I clearly didn't read into this product and it's way too small for my head whereas something like the LG 430 fits perfectly around my ears and head and incredibly comfy after a long session which is important to me as I don't use speakers.

Any other suggestions factoring these into account?
    M50's are good monitors but not known for comfort. They are a closed design so should do a decent job isolating outside noises.

I've always found the circumaural Sennheiser's very comfortable to wear for hours at a time but they are more expensive in Canada. Some of the closed Sennheisers in the 400 series have stronger bass and can be found on sale from time to time for under $100.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    M50's are good monitors but not known for comfort. They are a closed design so should do a decent job isolating outside noises.
    They isolate okay but are relatively uncomfortable. I wear them when I am outside, because my ears get pissed when I put stuff into them, so IEMs are out of the question. :/

Not much experience with HPs that cheap so I can't really help.
    Try the Head-Fi forums. They helped me pick my DT880 (300$ a little out of your budget) a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    They isolate okay but are relatively uncomfortable. I wear them when I am outside, because my ears get pissed when I put stuff into them, so IEMs are out of the question. :/

Not much experience with HPs that cheap so I can't really help.
    Try the Head-Fi forums. They helped me pick my DT880 (300$ a little out of your budget) a while back.
    I didn't know about those forums, def will check them out. The M50s, noise cancellation isn't that important to me but is the sound quality on the M50s good? They don't have to be incredibly comfortable but it at least would be nice if they could last 1-2 hours before you have to take a break.

@cows for life: I looked around a bit more and found the Sennheiser HD280 PRO which are 130$ atm. They have a few of them at my local BestBuy and I"ll probably head out there this weekend and try them out if they got a test copy.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2014-08-01 at 08:57 PM.

I didn't know about those forums, def will check them out. The M50s, noise cancellation isn't that important to me but is the sound quality on the M50s good? They don't have to be incredibly comfortable but it at least would be nice if they could last 1-2 hours before you have to take a break.

@cows for life: I looked around a bit more and found the Sennheiser HD280 PRO which are 130$ atm. They have a few of them at my local BestBuy and I"ll probably head out there this weekend and try them out if they got a test copy.
    I'm not familiar with the HD280. The 439 and 449 closed design surrounds the ear and can be found cheap on sale. The 500 series are open design.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can definitely wear them for a few hours. I wear glasses and used them quite a lot. Head hurts after 4-5h though.
    Comfort is just no comparison to my DT880 which I can wear 12h+ and forget they are even there. (wearing them right now, despite playlist being silent for the last half hour lol)

As far as the sound goes: They sound okay enough to be fun to listen too (they still are my outdoor cans and definitely make my foot tap ), yet I can hear that my DT880 sounds more natural/effortless.
    But I mainly hear classical music. It might be different with your genres.

Bottom line: First rule regarding HP purchases: Try before you buy. Trust me. Unless you are a technical expert and REALLY know your preferences... nothing beats trying.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2014-08-01 at 10:35 PM.

Yeah I'm def going to try some of my local stores first as I've had horrible experience ordering them online and not being satisfied. I start getting headaches easily if there's alot of pressure being put onto my ears so that's why I prefer the around the ear type.

Thanks for the suggestions though, gave me a few places to start with while I test around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'm def going to try some of my local stores first as I've had horrible experience ordering them online and not being satisfied. I start getting headaches easily if there's alot of pressure being put onto my ears so that's why I prefer the around the ear type.
    I have sensitive ears too, that's why I got the Beyerdynamics.
    They gently cuddle my head and the weight rests on top of the head instead of clamping me like a vice to stay on.

They sit very loosely though. Definitely not designed for "run & listen".

If you are sensitive to clamping, the M50 probably won't suit you.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2014-08-01 at 10:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to suggest Tritton Kunais, the microphone is removable and I've not had any negative experience with them since I've had them.

Otherwise, can't go wrong with Sennheiser.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Thanks for the suggestions though, gave me a few places to start with while I test around.
    In my experience, headphones usually go on sale at various times from Black Friday until about mid-January and again around June. There are usually discounts throughout the year but those are the periods when you can expect to see the biggest markdowns.