SSD / Normal SATA.

Ok so I have a few standard SATA drives kicking around and a 128gb SSD. Would installing Windows on the SSD and WoW be quicker than Windows on the SSD and WoW on a SATA?

Just trying to work out if there is any benefit to putting WoW on the same drive as Windows (Transfer rates and all that) sorry if stupid question.

I know from recording with fraps recording to an unused drive without windows or anything running makes a difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    i always thought you wanted your most used programs on the SSD. Windows for quicker startup times, and WoW because of frequency of use. put all your non essentials on the SATA. like family pics, older programs that you use once in a blue moon, music storage even.

not sure specifically how much better it is to have WoW and Windows together, but my guess is quicker load times at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    i always thought you wanted your most used programs on the SSD. Windows for quicker startup times, and WoW because of frequency of use. put all your non essentials on the SATA. like family pics, older programs that you use once in a blue moon, music storage even.

not sure specifically how much better it is to have WoW and Windows together, but my guess is quicker load times at least.
    Yeah this is how i currently do it but just curious if the SSD is "in use" with windows running, anti virus etc etc would it really make much difference :S

Windows+Games+most used programs on the SSD(depending on what they are), everything else--> Hard Drive.

You can test it, if you want, all you do have to do is copy your WoW folder over and run it from whatever/wherever you wanna run it from, not much else to it. I don't know what the whole "in use" thing is about, what's the issue? Your anti virus won't pick things up because they're "in use", is that what you mean?

He's concerned that Windows and WoW being on the SSD would cause slowdown due to them both potentially accessing the SSD at the same time.

It will; but only in comparison to having WoW on one SSD, and Windows on anotheridentical SSD. It will still be a lot faster (assuming the SSD isn't totally shite/isn't set up properly - Google "SSD alignment" for great justice) than having either on a separate normal HDD.

As long as you've got the space, put your most commonly used stuff on there. Your normal HDDs can be used for storage and lesser-used programs (or ones that won't see any real benefit from being on an SSD).
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

yeah FlawlessSoul hit the nail on the head. Cheers

Deleted
    Having had a SSD for three years or so now, it's the best thing i bought for my computer. 10 second boot time, it's golden.

Then having frequently played games on it, starts them up incredibly fast compared to a HDD.

If you do put windows on the SSD, google "AHCI ssd mode"(I believe it's called) to maximize the SSD speed. Without it, you'll lose speed.

The main reason why SSDs are faster than HDDs in real world use is the almost zero seek times. Accessing two things at the same time from HDD sucks because seeks take forever, but accessing two things from SSD at the same time happens pretty much at the same speed as accessing one thing.

Just keep everything you use daily on the SSD and keep HDD for all the junk in long term storage. You'll be happier that way.

yeah looks like im doing it all optimal right now then was just really curious that's all figured more stuff active being read/wrote to drive might slow it enough to make it actually not worth putting WoW on it. Tried putting WoW on a USB HDD, my SATA and SSD with windows on it. Noticed it was still quicker Windows + WoW on SSD than Windows on SSD and WoW on Sata. Through the performance would be effected but was wrong still loaded like 2x quicker (didn't time it).

Thanks all for help and info though.