Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    Deleted

Grammar Nazis, what are the worst mistakes you know?

Right, so i've been browsing MMO-C now for a few hours, and i've never considered myself a grammar nazi, but if I see one more person type/say "Would of" "Could of" etc. I might just go blow up a school.
    So which ones drive you boys 'n gals crazy?

I just can't understand how this shit drives someone crazy...Some1 spelled a word wrong? so fucking what?

Who kneeds too no cpelling and gramur anyways

Rediculous.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always have a good laugh when someone gets called a looser. I'm not usually that picky put some things just get under my skin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theyre r alot of ppl on the internet whom feel like its there job too tell every won about howmuch they learned in 10th grade english class!

15+ Year Old Account
    Not a "grammar nazi" myself, but as someone with English as a second language I actually quite appreciate those that are. As long as they point it out in a constructive manner and not just as an ad hominem, I learn a lot. There's a lot of things I would still do wrong if I hadn't seen so many people moan about it on the internet...

Deleted
    oh common op, why so angsty i dont know why u tetest spelling misteaks.

Deleted
    when people think that they have the wright to pull people up on they're spelling or grammar.
    You do not know who someone is, or what there education level is. As for "would of, and Could of" if your really that bothered by it, then it is time that you relaxed you're sphincter a little bit and stopped thinking that everyone is as smart as you assume you our.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bad grammar doesn't annoy me, it's the perceived effort that's put into the post that counts.

Yes I do skip the rest of a post that contains "could of" or "could care less" or constant use of "then" instead of "than" because it shows the poster can't be arsed and doesn't really care what you think anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    when people think that they have the wright to pull people up on they're spelling or grammar.
    You do not know who someone is, or what there education level is. As for "would of, and Could of" if your really that bothered by it, then it is time that you relaxed you're sphincter a little bit and stopped thinking that everyone is as smart as you assume you our.
    Knowing grammar is not a case of intellect, it's simply memorizing rules. I used to have mistakes pointed out to me a lot, and as a result I make a lot fewer mistakes now and feel more confident in typing English for work and more formal use as well. Take capitalizing "I", it was pointed out to me a few weeks ago that I never do it, so I decided to pay extra attention to it, and now it's become natural.
    I will never understand why having your mistakes pointed out in a constructive way is a bad thing :|

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I will never understand why having your mistakes pointed out in a constructive way is a bad thing :|
    I don't get that either.

IN this thread: Prescriptivists vs. Descriptivists

The point of language is to communicate. If someone is trying to communicate something that is unreadable, that's too bad and they should try again. If someone communicates an idea perfectly, however they use the wrong semantics, syntax, grammar or spelling in certain instances, then it doesn't matter. All the crusading by prescriptivist "grammar nazis" has produced nothing in changing the attitudes of others, aside from perpetual annoyance from their pestering. Those who still subscribe to the school of thought that language should be perfect at all times, with zero errors, who especially get some sort of smug satisfaction by "correcting" others, need to put their pride away and learn to understand that language inevitably grows and changes over time. People will continue to communicate in whatever way is most efficient for their intentions. Before the argument is made that terrible grammar and spelling aren't efficient, let me counter.

If something is be communicated to you directly and you are having difficulty understanding, ask politely for a restatement or elaboration. If you still don't understand, ask again. If you still don't understand, ask again, etc.

If necessary, a normal person will ALWAYS find a very basic way to communicate their intentions to you. If one's patience is running thin, step away. If the communication is needed, try again. If not, forget it. If this isn't what's wanted, good luck changing human nature. Please send me a PM when you figure it out.

Morons will be morons. Don't argue with them.
    People will be people. Always.
    Language will be language. Communicating ideas.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not in the habit of pointing out mistakes, but it is annoying to read some. I hate they're, their, there and than, then. Bugs me.

I probably make some mistakes myself. No one is perfect.

I won this argument in /general chat once but I used their instead of they're. My opponent pointed it out and it cheapened my victory.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voleura View Post
    Before the argument is made that terrible grammar and spelling aren't efficient, let me counter.

If necessary, a normal person will ALWAYS find a very basic way to communicate their intentions to you. If one's patience is running thin, step away. If the communication is needed, try again. If not, forget it. If this isn't what's wanted, good luck changing human nature. Please send me a PM when you figure it out.
    You're countering the idea that terrible grammar and spelling is inefficient by explaining why it's inefficient?

You're assuming everyone who does it, does it simply to show superiority. That in itself is just as smug of an attitude as the one you attribute to "gramma nazis". Is it really a negative thing if one person makes a mistake, and another tells them how to avoid it in the future?

Deleted
    youre/your/you're...

10+ Year Old Account
    Writing "yay or nay" instead of "yea or nay." It's the only thing that bothers me and it drives me insane.

Deleted
    That moment of realization when you recognize British people suck cookies at their own language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not being of certain racial features AND misspelling words is quite a jab in the heart. One I can not side idyl by for...
    WoW Moderator and Staff Editor at Stratics-WoW!
    http://wow.stratics.com/ - A World of Warcraft Fansite dedicated to lively opinions on the important topics within the game.
    Co-owner of AcegamesTV!
    https://www.youtube.com/acegamestv - A general gaming network focused on high quality variety content!