Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Really it's just reusing the Lorde cover again and again. I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy like last week and the cover was used for the new Dracula movie. And I think Battlefield and Assassin's Creed used it this year in their announcement trailers too. And Hunger Games part whateverthefuck.

It's just not really all that clever.

I also really despise the appropriation of glitch, chop and drill music into soft pop songs made by white people. This is supposed to be the music of nihilistic black kids murdering each other for drugs, not some handsome white guy crooning to me about existential dread in the material world.

You disgust me, pop music industry.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-08-07 at 04:30 PM.

well...I prefer Tears for Fears version, probably because I grew up listening to them.

I really like Awolnation's Sail, the problem is that people only use the bass while the lyrics are a big part of why I like the song (although it's only a couple of verses).
    As for Lorde's version VS the original, I like the peppy version more since I interpret the song as being about keeping up appearances (and failing) so this fits with the tune. That basically counts for both songs though, many people don't seem to realise that Sail isn't exactly a happy song lyrics wise.

To me songs that use these contrasts are great, think of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgvGjAhvIw and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWrhi9ki6kE and many more.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Deleted
    I 'like' Lorde's songs to just listen to. But not to be bombarded with whenever I change channel or check the internet. (She can't really be blamed for that tho, it's the people who make those promo vids thats have no knowledge of any other artist out there)
    Same goes when Lady Gaga was popular. As if nothing else existed. (That's to blame on Gaga herself. I do not like her, no.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    I really like Awolnation's Sail, the problem is that people only use the bass while the lyrics are a big part of why I like the song (although it's only a couple of verses).
    As for Lorde's version VS the original, I like the peppy version more since I interpret the song as being about keeping up appearances (and failing) so this fits with the tune. That basically counts for both songs though, many people don't seem to realise that Sail isn't exactly a happy song lyrics wise.

To me songs that use these contrasts are great, think of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgvGjAhvIw and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWrhi9ki6kE and many more.
    You probably just blew Fencer's mind with this portrayal of black people that's not just a bunch of nihilistic black kids murdering each other over drugs. Sheesh, Fencers, wth?
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    You probably just blew Fencer's mind with this portrayal of black people that's not just a bunch of nihilistic black kids murdering each other over drugs. Sheesh, Fencers, wth?
    Drill, chopped and glitch is specifically nihilistic. It is suppose to be so. In the same way Death Metal is supposed to be so.

There is a long American music history of re- & misappropriation of music made by African peoples going back hundreds of years. And it's usually pretty cringe worth on the mis-appropriator's part.

Like using AWOLNation's ridiculous composition over a mash with an Aussie singer covering a British synth-pop band post-post-Punk for a video game about fighting dragons and cat-men.

I mean like, THIS is how you re- appropriate music cleverly and meaningfully in new media.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-08-07 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I mean like, THIS is how you re- appropriate music cleverly and meaningfully in new media.
    The whole soundtrack of Bioshock Infinite is fantastic, probably my favorite of any video game.

I honestly don't know what qualifies music into certain styles (I don't really care either though), Drill just sounds like gangster rap to me, glitch is basically "lounge music" and chopped is rap slowed down and resampled it seems (sorry if someone finds this insulting).

To me it doesn't matter that the histories of certain songs/music types match or not, it's all about the tunes/lyrics if it sounds good (to me) I'm happy, if it doesn't I simply don't listen to it.
    To me mixing Sail with Lorde's cover didn't work since it wasn't a real mashup. I hate being able to hear both lyrics through eachother, I hate hearing a double beat. Both of those just scream lazy to me (although the editing and syncing up the music with the video was done pretty well), just go 8-10s into the clip and you hear nothing but double beats and then shortly after the "SAIL!" through Lorde's voice.

Sometimes I just like to hear things that I find funny, although they may not go together all that well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irJax21UHE0
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    The whole soundtrack of Bioshock Infinite is fantastic, probably my favorite of any video game.
    Oh yeah I love the music in that game, which is funny because I probably wouldn't have liked it outside of the game. I also loved the music in O' Brother Where Art Thou?, It's got a similar style of music in that movie too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Those are good, but this fan made recap of Season 1 is my favorite. The music and editing make it extremely intense, I get shivers watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gHsliMTzhg
    My favourite as well. It's amazing what the fans create. I liked the other video too altho the music seemed a bit off for my ears
    Last edited by mmoc1319205971; 2014-08-08 at 08:29 AM.