How important is Dispel Magic in PvP?

Hello there, I just have a quick question regarding the spell 'dispel magic'.

So I am a Shadow Priest and I was just wondering how important this spell is and therefore how much I should prioritize dispelling in (Arenas particularly) PvP. Should I be frequently dispelling my opponents buffs and such or is it more of an occasional ability to dish out when I don't exactly have anything more important to cast at the time. I have taken observation of players in the past (such as 'Sylents' aka Reckful) spamming the hell out of dispel like it's a matter of life and death. Is it really this critical? And when is it ideal to focus dispelling?

Thanks in advanced.

use it every time and anytime you can. Esp when Shamans or holy priests are involved.
    Oceanic spriest, thanks blizz for giving us aus servers. 9/9 mythic.

Deleted
    Hi mage. I see you have bloodlust and icyveins up.

*tap tap* Now you don't.

Deleted
    Dont think reckful is the best guide for "How to Sp". Personally i rarely spam it unless im trying to get something important off like fearward, altertime, hand of sac or hand of prot..

Deleted
    to say it shortly, the power of dispelling an enemy buff, is very underrated :-)
    Not normal things like a stamina buff of course, but damage buffers like Icy veins on mages are great to dispel!
    Same goes for things like priest shields and other beneficial defensive buffs your opponent may have :-)

I mean pre-Cata/MOP it was a great strat. Clearing off shields, hots, etc. was a big deal. Not sure how much that matters nowadays though.

You used to be able to dispel things like avenging wrath and other damage/heal cooldowns. If you can still do that, I have to imagine it's pretty strong.

Good use of dispell is as important now as it ever was in any season. Spamming it not so much, but effectively using your global cd with dispell can save a team mate, get your team a kill or finish a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wootylicious View Post
    Dont think reckful is the best guide for "How to Sp". Personally i rarely spam it unless im trying to get something important off like fearward, altertime, hand of sac or hand of prot..
    Then what do you do when you have your dots rolling and mind blast is on CD? Mind Flay for unimportant damage? I'm pretty sure you'll want to constantly clean your opponent. Spam purging intel buff for example means a spellcaster is going to do a fair bit less damage unless they rebuff, in which case you dispel it again.

If you purge your enemy and they do use iconic abilities like Alter Time, Fear Ward, Hand of Sac you can usually purge it off immediately unless the person rebuffed, which some do while many don't (at least they don't in lower brackets).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wootylicious View Post
    Disagree. You don't want to rely on RNG when you need to dispel Fear Ward, because that player will have a couple of other buffs.

Dispel everything right away. Keep dispelling important buffs all the time. It puts a pressure on opponents.

I loved disc (when it was actually viable) for being so offensive. What would you rather do? Cast for 5 seconds to outdamage someone's shield, or just simply dispel it? Dispel Lifebloom when the Druid is CCed and you're going to switch on him, or just damage and let that Lifebloom proc when he's stunned and going to die?

10+ Year Old Account
    All depends on the strenght of a enemy spell or buff. Like everything in pvp its a matter of priorities. Buffs that greatly increase the change of your partner to get a massive spike or being cc'd or buffs that prevent a low health enemie to be killed should be dispelled asap. Be mindfull though that you dont tunnelvision yourself on it. When you are focussing on dispelling everything your attention is not on other aspect like direct healing, pressure dmg output, etc.