10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly

New guardian question

Hello, I searched the guardian sticky for this, but I either must've missed the answer or my question is too nooby to be asked.

Anyway, I've only tanked on a monk and a warrior since active mitigation was introduced, so I'm used to either blocking or absorbing hits. Now, guardians are a "dodge what you can, heal what you can't" tank class outside of major cooldowns, correct?

So for incoming huge magical attacks, say Immerseus' Corrosive Blast, do you pop major cooldowns for it? Because as a monk, I can use short cooldowns such as Guard or Diffuse Magic or on my warrior, I can SBarrier it. Barkskin, although has a nice short cooldown, is only 20% reduction and the other 2 are on 3 minute ones. So do you pop one of the 3 min ones or can you eat a Blast and heal it up?

Again, sorry for the noobiness.

10+ Year Old Account
    BS more than enough unless you are very very seriously undergeared.
    Victoria Aut Mors

The blast hits for nothing. Barkskin is way more than enough. TBH you shouldn't even waste anything on the breaths incase you get a 2nd one(granted i've always one tanked this on normal and heroic) but either way breath one is very weak.

Barkskin for anything that might deal ~50% of your health, bear wall for anything that you can predict, keep bear stand or renewal in reserve for spikes unless you know for sure you are gonna need it.

When something like locust at the end of paragons is hitting you for 500-700k simply make sure to weave barkskin inbetween metagem procs to prevent spikes (unless you are going to blow bear wall soon in which case stack them, bear wall -> barkskin again if meta is not up)

The only fights that push our cooldowns a bit are H-thok (Get a rook's talisman. even a shit lfr version is probably the greatest thing since sliced bread for this fight when you are undergeared). and H-Blackfuse, depending on how many charges your strategy decides to go with, but generally bears blow at killing shreders so i would bet most guilds use a high stacking strat on him.

And dont forget that unless something is gonna 1 shot or near 1 shot you for the duration of incarnation you are basically immortal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly
    Wow. Nice.

Thank you guys for all your helpful responses. I wouldn't normally bother learning a spec this near an expac that's sure to change a LOT of abilities, but I'm too impatient with dps queues (especially since I'm only on the Secrets of the Empire step ugh).

Quote Originally Posted by -Doko- View Post
    Barkskin for anything that might deal ~50% of your health, bear wall for anything that you can predict, keep bear stand or renewal in reserve for spikes unless you know for sure you are gonna need it.

When something like locust at the end of paragons is hitting you for 500-700k simply make sure to weave barkskin inbetween metagem procs to prevent spikes (unless you are going to blow bear wall soon in which case stack them, bear wall -> barkskin again if meta is not up)
    Lol you call those things like that too? I actually changed the icons on my guardian's spells for easier transition. I have Last Stand icon for Might of Ursoc, Shield Wall icon for Survival Instincts, etc. Otherwise it's all icon of 'angry bear facing left', 'angry bear facing right', 'angry bear facing up and right' or 'right paw', 'left paw'.

To be fair, immerseus's blast is so insignificant i dont even cooldown it, unless its going to hit me when i have stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyen View Post
    To be fair, immerseus's blast is so insignificant i dont even cooldown it, unless its going to hit me when i have stacks.
    it's like taking a $1 water gun blast to the face, feels like your getting rained on lol.