Setup

Intel® Core™ i5-4570K Processor
    8 gig 1600mhz
    Radeon 7770 x2 crossfired
    Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 -- 2x PCIe 3.0 x16, 4x USB 3.0, 6x SATA-III 6Gb/s
    850 Watt
    TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s
    -----------------

Looking to grab an SSD card here soon no matter what, but I'm wondering, with 2 Radeon 7770s is there a reason to upgrade them, Budget is 230$

Also side note, how long will be my cPU be relevant.

Upgrading your GPU would be the best choice, as your CPU is already very strong, while you're crossfiring 2 lower cards. Try and see if you can buy a stronger single card ( something like a gtx 760 would fit your budget of about 230$ ). 1 strong card is generally better than 2 weaker cards.

Quote Originally Posted by mitbrandir View Post
    Upgrading your GPU would be the best choice, as your CPU is already very strong, while you're crossfiring 2 lower cards. Try and see if you can buy a stronger single card ( something like a gtx 760 would fit your budget of about 230$ ). 1 strong card is generally better than 2 weaker cards.
    This. I prefer single card solutions because they work with every game. Not every game supports multi card setups. gtx 760 is a great place to start.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

Would you guys say an gtX 760 is better then an r9 270 ? Or even 270x

7+ Year Old Account
    The 760 is roughly equivalent to the R9-280, while the 770 is roughly equivalent to the 280x.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    Would you guys say an gtX 760 is better then an r9 270 ? Or even 270x
    270X is bit slower than GTX 760 while 280 non-X is slightly faster than the Nvidia. My opinion is to save till you can afford at least R9 280X or R9 290. GTX 760 or 270X isn't that much faster than your current cards in well optimized games.

What games do you play?
    I would not go for such a slight bump in GPU power for the money spent.

7+ Year Old Account
    It is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS better to have a single powerful GPU, rather than 2 midrange GPU's. There are a lot of games out there that don't even support SLI/Crossfire and won't benefit from them at all. Games that benefit from it very well are rare too.

The only time you should be considering SLI/Crossfire is when the top end cards (R9-290x and 780ti) are not enough for what you're doing. Right now that pretty much only covers 3+ monitor setups, or 1440p/2160p resolutions.

Alrighty, so let's say I can afford a 280x soon. Which I probably can convince the girlfriend to let me buy one. Which brand do you guys prefer? I see some with 3 fans, some with 2.. etc. Looking to spend 300-340ish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    What games do you play?
    I would not go for such a slight bump in GPU power for the money spent.
    Play a lot of WoW which I know is CPU based, A lot of Diablo 3, Hearthstone, Heroes Of newerth, Any new MMO that comes out ill atleast try. CS:GO etc. But I play pretty much anything just to try it.

Deleted
    try selling your gpus for a few bucks, save a tiny bit more then get a gtx 870

Deleted
    Play a lot of WoW which I know is CPU based, A lot of Diablo 3, Hearthstone, Heroes Of newerth, Any new MMO that comes out ill atleast try. CS:GO etc. But I play pretty much anything just to try it.
    Do you experince lag in any games you play? If not then it's kidda pointless to upgrade.

i5 should be relevant till your OS is unsupported.... nothing major for intel till 2016. skylark and LGA1151 boards....

I would honestly wait until you would be able to get more than a GTX 760 for your money, or even the 280X. They are not bad cards, but CFX HD7770 isn't really crap-tastic either
    Basically, the FPS-upgrade per money spent is quite low. I quite doubt you have FPS issues in any of the mentioned games at least in 1080p

Alrighty, so let's say I can afford a 280x soon. Which I probably can convince the girlfriend to let me buy one. Which brand do you guys prefer? I see some with 3 fans, some with 2.. etc. Looking to spend 300-340ish.
    I personally prefer MSI. Generally speaking, I see MSI as one of the stronger(est) cards on benchmarks across the same GPU chip. They are one of the more quiet cards under load. But I'm fairly certain that it doesn't really matter that much on which one you buy, as long as it has 2 fans or so for good cooling.

i used an MSI bored for my sisters i3....runs like a champ......ssd start up is like 3 seconds

Anyone know why 280x's are as low as 150$ on ebay? Like A LOT of them. Would you guys not suggest this? Lol it's just so damn cheap compared.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chances are they're resold from bitcoin mining thing. I wouldn't get one cause they're probably more abused than the average gamers would ever had used.

Quote Originally Posted by skitszo View Post
    i used an MSI bored for my sisters i3....runs like a champ......ssd start up is like 3 seconds
    Question, When I do get my SSD card, will I have to reformat everything and install windows 7 on the SSD again, or can I transfer my OS / WoW through my computer without having to do a fresh install ( I just reformatted last week and plan on buying an SSD this week ) would be a lot nicer not having to reformat onto the SSD
    also any suggestions on SSD? http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=062498 was what I was looking at.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Chances are they're resold from bitcoin mining thing. I wouldn't get one cause they're probably more abused than the average gamers would ever had used.
    Oh yeah, Makes sense, it's crazy the price drop.. but they all almost say no return, so not taking that risk.
    Last edited by BetrayedOf52; 2014-08-04 at 05:40 AM.

The price drop is due to 280X being EoL. The decrease in prices in North America is to be more in line with the rest of the world, now that the interest for crypto-currencies draws to an end.

Betrayed..... you could try a Ghost or image transfer back up to your new SSD.... otherwise new install and keep your other as your data backup then format it for second hard drive storage.

I like samsung; especially for laptops. but their some other decent companies...some decent reviews at Toms hardware site. all depends on specs and budget. get atleast a 120 GB size and run a secondary drive. if you have the money a 256 would be good.